Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Full and fair disclosure: I've never even been on a board.

I'm about to jump in with both feet though! I'm going to do a bit of off season shopping real soon here and get myself set up for next winter.

ANY help would be SO greatly appreciated!

Here's my specs:
I'm 5'6" (168cm)
140lbs
shoe size: 8.5 womens'

Help a girl out! I've got my eye on a board, it's 151cm and as far as I can tell, that's a good fit for me (It should go to my lip, maybe a bit shorter).

As far as I can tell I need small bindings or small/medium.

As for boots I'm going to wait until I can get to a ski shop (I live in the middle of no where so I need to drive at least 3.5 hours to get to one) and try some on...

How am I doing?

thx!

·
Moving to the dark side...
1,428 Posts
Have some lessons before you buy, there is no point in doing something you might not like to be fair, and you are probably better to hire the 1st few occasions anyway...

Or at least look for a board and bindings 2nd hand until you know what kind of boarding you want to do, and save your money for when you do know...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have some lessons before you buy.
This probably depends on your location. The Common Wisdom** is that you must commit to at least three days of riding before you decide you hate it, because those first two days are some painful shit.

Where I ride at, renting a board for three days would cost over $100, so it's only a very modest step up to buy a board and have a better time on something that's not quite as shit as a rental.

Also, deals are pretty great right now. A quick glance at o2gearshop revealed a bunch of 50% off 2013 boards, like this one that wouldn't be terrible choices.

**May not be so common.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Here's my specs:
I'm 5'6" (168cm)
140lbs
shoe size: 8.5 womens'

Help a girl out! I've got my eye on a board, it's 151cm and as far as I can tell, that's a good fit for me (It should go to my lip, maybe a bit shorter).

As far as I can tell I need small bindings or small/medium.
Whoever told you it needs to go to your lip should be shot! It's based on weight not height. Suggested board length for your weight and height is about a 148. A 151 would be fine, but I wouldn't go much longer to start.

An 8.5 boot is a medium in Burton bindings, check the binding manufacturer to be sure if you use somebody else.

Boots are one thing I would buy even if you rent or buy the board/bindings used. Good fitting boots make all the difference in the world. Try a million on, and hopefully the guy in the shop will be good at explaining heel lift, etc.! Northern Ontario isn't know for fantastic snowboarding shops...

Where you planning on riding?

I'd rent at least a couple times, or buy a used 146-150 cm board with bindings that will fit if you can get one CHEAP. (i.e. $100 or less)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Yeah, but a lot of resorts have a combo deal with lessons and rentals. I agree with Kevin do some lessons before you start spending hundreds on gear you make never use again.

but Irahi is right the first few days can suck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good points...

wow! lots of great advice!

ok, so starters...

Where: I am in the centre of Canada (in Ontario, but near the Manitoba boarder if you're up on your geography...) so no mountains here, some "decent" hills, but I know I'll only be happy with them until I learn to ride properly.

Buy v.s Rent: I plan to buy because the hill around here is notoriously steep (har, har, har...) for rental / lesson prices. I am a do or die kind of girl, so I'd sooner buy now with all the great deals I've seen and if I truly end up hating it, I'll sell at a loss, I don't mind... too much.

Size: feel free to shoot the guy who gave me that info, he's being a tool about giving me advice, hence why I'm on here!

Thanks "Irahi" for the source, I'll check out those deals too!

Still think I should rent first?

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Warm welcom to the new girl!
The guys already gave good advise. My 2cents: Get gloves with wrist protectors. You'll fall on your hands many times... (a friend broke her wrist on her first - and last - day riding :unsure:. And a helmet! ;)

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Buy v.s Rent: I plan to buy because the hill around here is notoriously steep (har, har, har...) for rental / lesson prices. I am a do or die kind of girl, so I'd sooner buy now with all the great deals I've seen and if I truly end up hating it, I'll sell at a loss, I don't mind... too much.
What resort? Looks like Mount Baldy near T-Bay charges $64 for lift ticket, rentals and a lesson. That's cheap. That's cheaper than lift tickets at most hills...

The hills really want you to get hooked, so they usually (and should) make it really cheap to get started. My GF learned at a hill in Ontario where it was $30 for beginner lift ticket, rentals and lessons all on the bunny slopes. That kind of thing is perfect for day 1 and 2.

If you're set on really trying it, then by all means get a setup now. But buy 2011-2012 stuff there's no point wasting money on a first setup. You'll get the itch quick for new gear if you really get into it anyway! :yahoo:

And don't sell yourself short on local hills. I grew up boarding in Ontario and had a blast. Of course now in the wild west I'm having more fun. But it's not like I wasn't enjoying myself before!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Your first and most important purchase is boots. Boots can make or break your time on the hill. Do yourself a favor and invest in padded shorts, wrist guards and knee pads, you will need them more than you can imagine right now.

Your weight puts you in 149-151 cm length, but being a beginner go with a shorter board, 148 is fine. Your bindings should be size medium. I would advise against purchasing a rocker board. I see beginners on rockers struggle with stability and they also outgrow them quite fast. A hybrid is a better option in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you forget how FREAKING HUGE canada is....

What resort? Looks like Mount Baldy near T-Bay charges $64 for lift ticket, rentals and a lesson. That's cheap. That's cheaper than lift tickets at most hills...

That'd be great... if Thunder Bay wasn't a 4.5 hour drive. With a 45 hour a week job and the limited sunshine we have in the winter up here... I'll be sticking with the local hills for my learning, thanks! Going to talk to one of the members of the hill in the next couple of days to see the real costs there!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more awesome help!

And yeah, I plan on venturing out, I have friends who are more experienced (mainly skiers), hopefully they'll take me out to the mountains whenever I learn to not fall on my face... But this year I'll be sticking close to home.

No joke, "neni"!! I hope I don't get an injury that scares me away! I'll go in bubble wrap if I have to! ;)

Thanks "Noreaster", I've heard a lot about the importance of the boots, looking forward to a trip to the city to try some out... if anyone has any stock left!!

as for purchasing the gear... sales are always the way to go! Hence why I'm looking for gear in June when our hill won't be open until december!!

... but could you elaborate on a "rocker"? remember... I'm a complete noob!!!

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
No joke, "neni"!! I hope I don't get an injury that scares me away! I'll go in bubble wrap if I have to! ;)
Add a back protector to your list. I don't mainly wear it cause I fall but to protect myself from others. Some years ago I was sitting at the border of a slope behind pole when an out of control boarder came flying in my direction, board edge ahed, split the pole and hit me with his board in the back (broke a spinous process). A back protector would have prevented that. They feel uncomfortable at the beginning but I got so used to it that I actuelly feel naked if riding without. Don't want to scare you, but it's a jungle on the slopes and as beginner, you're a sitting duck ;) If you get used to all the "bubble wrap" from the scratch, you won't be distracted by it too much.

... but could you elaborate on a "rocker"? remember... I'm a complete noob!!!
Good overview over here: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/37496-rocker-camber-everything-between.html
And:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/46165-does-anyone-still-prefer-camber-16.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
35 Posts
Go with the protection for the most *common* injuries before you worry about all that other crap!!!!

Go with wrist protection & helmet.

(I also use knee pads, but, not many do)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Go with the protection for the most *common* injuries before you worry about all that other crap!!!!

Go with wrist protection & helmet.

(I also use knee pads, but, not many do)
Padded shorts. I have to believe that the most common first day injury is tail bone...catching a back edge can be ridicuously painful.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
Excellent! But do you have any more resources for protective equipment? I've never heard of a back protector! I always thought all I'd need is a helmet, goggles and thick skin!
Dainese is popular where I live. This would be a reasonable priced model:

Dainese Ultimate BAP 02 available online at the Blue Tomato Shop

Got an older model of it that is combined with an additional (removable) west but I run too hot with the west and hardly ever use it. There are (more expensive) models where the plates have little holes which increase air ventilation. I'd recommend these cause I usually get a sweaty back with the solid ones.
Little hint: If you get a backpack, take one with integrated backprotector. Imagine what happens to your spine if you got a thermos in your backpack and fall backwards...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would go with wrist protectors and a helmet. Then maybe knee protectors if U have any issues with ur knees to begin with.

I only wear a back protector when doing freestyle. Its not something I ever use for normal on piste hill riding.

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,139 Posts
Recommend buying just wrist guards and padded shorts to start.
Don't invest more than you have to until you get past those first three lessons (yes, 3 lessons, not riding on your own). And on 3 separate days btw - no 2 lessons in 1 day. Your muscles will need time to adjust.

You should be able to rent the helmet and all other necessary gear at the hill, in a package with lesson and lift ticket.

For the wrist guards and padded shorts, go to Buy Snowboard protective gear, padded shorts and helmets | All Sport Protection and/or Shop Snowboard Protective Gear: snowboard helmets, padded shorts, body armor. In stock, free shipping.
I've dealt with both companies and have been happy with the service, selection, and prices.
(BTW, I'm in Toronto, so I know they will ship to Canada.)

Good luck!

·
The Swiss Miss
7,441 Posts
I would go with wrist protectors and a helmet. Then maybe knee protectors if U have any issues with ur knees to begin with.

I only wear a back protector when doing freestyle. Its not something I ever use for normal on piste hill riding.
Interesting, how "common" protection seems to differ (depending on the area/country?) :) Haven't hear of padded pants or knee protectors till I joined this forum but a backprotector is SOP for the pack I'm riding with (none of them doing freestyle) and see them frequently when other people take off their jackets at lunch time. Maybe our slopes are more crowded or maybe it's due to riding in alpine region where every off piste lap could end by hitting rocks? :dunno:
Anyway, for the first lessons on a save (no out of control I like speed but only ride a week a year turists) bunny hill its not necessarily, I agree.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts