Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year i got a Niche Maelstrom 160 and this year my ride warpig 154 is on the way.
So now im looking to get the right bindings. I am looking to use on pair for both boards.

Im looking for and all mountain binding which can take some big jumps in the park, and hopefully give a more "surfy" feel in the pow.

I have been looking for mostly a Now,because of the skate tech and the king pin tool-less,where i have narrowed it down to the IPO or the Pilots.
The Burton Cartel x and Genesis.
Arbor Hemlock and cypress,
and Rome Katana

What are you guys experinces, what would be the best pick here? I'm of course open to other suggestions as well, and appreciate all the help i can get.

I'm around 200 pound/ 90kg and ride with vans infuse size 10,5 US / 44,5 Eu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Katana for me. Cypress would be pick 2
Would you mind specifying a bit on why those two?
I know these also topped the 2019 angry snowbaorder all mountain bindings, and i have only heard good things about them.
But is it the adjustabilty, response, the flex or something else there would make them the right fit for this setup in your opinion?

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Katanas have just about everything going for them. They're fairly light, ridiculously adjustable, extremely comfortable with my favorite straps ever and a highback that's not too stiff or too flexible. The pivot mount lets you adjust the ankle strap up if you want so that strap sits a bit higher on your boot than most other bindings, which increases response and also comfort if you don't like pressure on top of your foot. The only reason not to get Katanas is if you don't like metal bindings or want something ultra-stiff or very jib focused, or are on a budget. I'd also consider Rome DoD's if Katanas sound good but price is a factor.

At 200lbs, 10.5 US size boot you're at the limbo gray area for Burton bindings where you're at the upper end of where the Medium can adjust to and at the very bottom of the Large. I'm size US10, used to own Medium Malavitas, and I'd hesitate to put them on a wide or stiff board that I want to turn quickly - the baseplate was just too flexible and torsionally flexing a stiffer board was a fight. My buddy has US11 Vans Infuse and had similar difficulties fitting into and riding those same bindings. That's really a hit-or-miss problem though - I've ridden medium Genesis X EST bindings in size US10 boots on a Custom X without any of those problems, so maybe the Cartel X would work just fine.

Now's are my favorite plastic binding by far because of the response. It's a really good design. Only drawback I know of is that if you're mounting/unmounting bindings a lot it can get confusing. You may have to flip the disks around to get the binding and your boot centered on your board and if you're doing this you lose tip/tail adjustability. You can read the manual online to see what I mean: https://assets.ndk.group/m/2cb8d9e1a765b40d/original/User-Manual.pdf. But if that doesn't bother you, the extra kingpin makes swapping between boards very simple.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,055 Posts
Now and Rome are my favorite bindings, in general. I'll be buying new Katanas this fall to put on my Rome Blur.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Katanas have just about everything going for them. ...
This "Limbo grey area" seems likeit is about 10-11 for a lot of brands, would you go up to large or stay at medium, to get the best control on wide boards and for stiff hard charging.

Katanas have just about everything going for them. ...
Now and Rome are my favorite bindings, in general. I'll be buying new Katanas this fall to put on my Rome Blur.
So would you recommend what i can get the best deal on, or always the Katana first, now second?

·
Registered
177 Posts
This "Limbo grey area" seems likeit is about 10-11 for a lot of brands, would you go up to large or stay at medium, to get the best control on wide boards and for stiff hard charging.

So would you recommend what i can get the best deal on, or always the Katana first, now second?
Great questions.

I am a 9.5 in 32 TM-2 XLT's which run big and trying to decide between NOW drives and Rome Katanas for my K2 Simple Pleasures. Which way are you going to go?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts