Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m trying to start out snowboarding and I’ve been looking online at measurement guides to see what size to get. However I am on the chunkier side of a woman. I am 195 and 5,4 and wear a size 8.5 women’s shoes so I’m not sure what size to get so I don’t embarrass myself on the hill. I’m thinking 160? But then I’m not sure. Any help please!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hello,
I think that would be too big too start.
I would mostly ride a 160 but I am a male, 185lbs, 180cm and an advanced rider.
You need something smaller but first thing you may want to do is buy boots first. That is what may make the most difference on your riding.
You should have a look at post from @Wiredsport here and measure your feet.
Based on that people will be able to give you better advice on boards.

·
Registered
895 Posts
So with your 1st board you'll want to stay around say an all mountain ride. A softer and flatter profile will be easier and more forgiving whilst learning. The more stiffer the deck, the more camber placed in the profile, the greater stability and ability to carve at speed occurs. The smaller the length you get he easier it will be to turn (set an edge) whilst being a novice.
I'd be looking around the 152 to 155 with your weight in an all mountain.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
You'll be fine on anything in the mid 150's starting out so I'd ignore the weight ranges for now. If you're on a flat or rockered board which are great for beginners, the length won't matter as much because most of the contact with the snow will come from between your feet. It's only when you start using your edges full time and in powder that the length really matters.

After you get comfortable on a beginner board the Gnu Free Spirit 143 is an excellent women's board that would be perfect for your foot size and weight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts