Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, I've been planning my first snowboard for a month already and I'm kinda stuck on a few questions.
It would be really awesome if i could get your advice .. even if only for one of the questions -

1. planning the profile: What is the height range (or the radius range) typically used for camber, rocker, tip and tail?
I know the general shape already, but i still need to CNC cut the exact section template of the board.

2. for the template: Do i actually cut the exact section and curves of the cambers on the board, or do i exaggerate a bit (so that after the press it would flex back to the desired shape)?

3. and finally.. How deep should the offset for the tip\tail fill material be (the distance between the final shape of the board and the wood core)?

I'm also attaching a screenshot of my current progress, in case it would help you to help me.... Thanks a lot guys !!

Attachments

·
Registered
394 Posts
I can be of no help on this topic, but have always commended anyone who is trying to build their own board. Seems like an awesome hobby to have!

Anyways, my help ends at suggesting skibuilders.com. If you haven't checked it out yet, they are a huge wealth of knowledge on this subject. Haven't seen anything directly correlating to your questions, but could be buried somewhere in there :shrug: Best of luck to you on the board!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can be of no help on this topic, but have always commended anyone who is trying to build their own board. Seems like an awesome hobby to have!

Anyways, my help ends at suggesting skibuilders.com. If you haven't checked it out yet, they are a huge wealth of knowledge on this subject. Haven't seen anything directly correlating to your questions, but could be buried somewhere in there :shrug: Best of luck to you on the board!!
Yeah.. They deal with this stuff a lottt over there, but for some reason i can't register to the forum there. I tried for 2 weeks..
Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually it started by looking for a place to get a new board with my own graphics and suddenly i wanted every cool feature there is for my new unborn board... just the shape wasn't enough
Anyway i built the core this morning so i'm pretty invested in it now lol

I Still hope someone would see this post and help me with the first 2 Questions

·
Registered
8,666 Posts
armchair dribble...
Q1 I have an old stiff cambered board that has iirc 2-3mm of cam height and some newer crc where the rocker part is also about 2-3 mm. However the height of the cam or rocker is also going to be dependent up on the flex/stiffness of the lay-up. Thus you are going to need to account for the influence of things like carbon stringers, the flex/ lay-up pattern of the glass and such.

Q2 Presuming you are talking about the cam/flat/rocker profile of your press; I would think that you would want the exact profile template/mold and not exaggerate sections of the template. This is because once you press the lay-up, cook and let it cure...that is it...you get what you got and there are no do-overs or adjustments after the cooking/curing is done. btw...are you doing a hydrolic or vacume press or some other thing? Sure you can trim/grind the edges/side walls to finish but I don't think that is what you are asking. Also you might do a deep search...iirc quite a few years ago there was a member in the seattle area that was pressing some boards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKS!
the layup includes 2 triaxial glass fiber cloths, 1 triaxial carbon and a thin kevlar vail (correct me if it seems like overkill), besides that there's the wood core made of 67% soft wood, 7% flex and 26% hard wood.

I'm planning to cut the top and bottom template of the press and lock them over the board with a dozen ratchet belts. I am going to do hydrolic press, i just haven't found a right shape of fire hose\bladder to slip into the press yet..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.