Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my goal for the coming season is to start carving. I tried towards the end of last season, but then realized I needed more time. For now, my new goal is to learn a better way of turning than I already do. I was thinking about learning those skidding turns or sliding turns (i think they are called that) before carving. If anyone has tips on how to turn efficiently, I will gladly take them :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out Snowboard Addiction (as mentioned in another thread). Worth the $.
I went to Snowboard Addiction's website, seems like they have some great stuff there. For now, I will watch the free stuff and if I feel I need more, I'll try paying. :D thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think the proper posture and stance make turning much easier. You also have better stability and get bucked around much less when you stay stacked over your board. Scarving and skidded turn skills should come before full on carving.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think the proper posture and stance make turning much easier. You also have better stability and get bucked around much less when you stay stacked over your board. Scarving and skidded turn skills should come before full on carving.
I kinda don't agree on the last point. I tried the "school" way of approaching it my first time, but it wasn't until I tried putting the board on edge and get into some steeper terrain later that day that it clicked. Putting off learning the essentials can lead to some really bad habits, and the risk of catching an edge will be higher if you wait. There are plenty safe ways to learn carving, waiting will "flatten" the learning curve and instructors get more out of it though.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I kinda don't agree on the last point. I tried the "school" way of approaching it my first time, but it wasn't until I tried putting the board on edge and get into some steeper terrain later that day that it clicked. Putting off learning the essentials can lead to some really bad habits, and the risk of catching an edge will be higher if you wait. There are plenty safe ways to learn carving, waiting will "flatten" the learning curve and instructors get more out of it though.
Balancing on an edge is extremely difficult to beginners so it depends where the person is at I guess. I'd want to see a little confidence getting down the hill with skidded turns and weight in the right place first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts