Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
181 - 200 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Stevens in WA definitely does not have additional parking options once the main lots and overflow at the nordic center is full.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Vail (and Ikon) tend to buy up resorts with big villiages or attached to a town, so they're going to have some options that don't exist at the smaller ski areas.
I wish that was an option out here... Driving through traffic for hours and then be told to turn around and go home is.... to say infuriating is an understatement

Here's Vail's solution to the problem:

MAXIMIZE YOUR DAY WITH LIFT LINE FORECASTS
New this season, EpicMix Time displays forecasts of lift line wait times allowing you to spend more time skiing and riding. See what lifts will have the shortest wait times every hour of the day so you can plan your skiing and riding experience.
Leveraging machine learning to improve over time, EpicMix Time provides wait time projections for all lifts using a wealth of historical data and real-time information:
  • Current lift line time
  • Historic lift line times
  • Lift line times at other lifts
  • Current snowfall
  • Day of the week
  • Period of the season
This groundbreaking enhancement is now available at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Park City. Coming soon to Whistler Blackcomb, Crested Butte, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe and Okemo.

This is actually kind of cool. it already exists at lots of theme parks so why don't ski resorts do it. We get to wait in line to try and get to the far side of the mountain to try and see what lift lines are like there and then if its slammed sit through a packed area to go blindly check out a different area. Obviously not a full on solution but a service most large area ski resorts should offer.

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,956 Posts
I wish that was an option out here... Driving through traffic for hours and then be told to turn around and go home is.... to say infuriating is an understatement

This is actually kind of cool. it already exists at lots of theme parks so why don't ski resorts do it. We get to wait in line to try and get to the far side of the mountain to try and see what lift lines are like there and then if its slammed sit through a packed area to go blindly check out a different area. Obviously not a full on solution but a service most large area ski resorts should offer.
I'm sure this technology and "fast passes" will become regular place at most larger resorts. Doesn't really solve the crowded mountain issue or the "Epic Fun Police" and slow zones, but something's gotta give. I'm just glad that Denver/Colorado isn't as screwed as the Oregon scene.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I'm sure this technology and "fast passes" will become regular place at most larger resorts. Doesn't really solve the crowded mountain issue or the "Epic Fun Police" and slow zones, but something's gotta give. I'm just glad that Denver/Colorado isn't as screwed as the Oregon scene.
Ya, I've been at an amusement park before and after they implemented it and it really did help a lot there. It helps disperse crowds more evenly because humans really are a heard mentality species meaning certain areas always end up super crowded at the same time. No fixing the fun police though, that will always be an acceptable criticism.

Our mountains just kind of doubled down on their "oh it's not actually a problem just normal, or freak circumstances keep giving us crowds it's fine"

Timberlines public statement:? "This kind of traffic is fairly typical this time of year, and it’s business as usual at the resort. What might be adding to the hours-long traffic lines is folks not being prepared on the road."

Meadows continues to make claims of 5-6 feet of fresh snow created demand, except those 5-6 feet came Monday/Tuesday and then it rained more than 4 inches the rest of the week ruining all the snow so that's just a complete copout. But

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,956 Posts
Ya, I've been at an amusement park before and after they implemented it and it really did help a lot there. It helps disperse crowds more evenly because humans really are a heard mentality species meaning certain areas always end up super crowded at the same time. No fixing the fun police though, that will always be an acceptable criticism.

Our mountains just kind of doubled down on their "oh it's not actually a problem just normal, or freak circumstances keep giving us crowds it's fine"

Timberlines public statement:? "This kind of traffic is fairly typical this time of year, and it’s business as usual at the resort. What might be adding to the hours-long traffic lines is folks not being prepared on the road."

Meadows continues to make claims of 5-6 feet of fresh snow created demand, except those 5-6 feet came Monday/Tuesday and then it rained more than 4 inches the rest of the week ruining all the snow so that's just a complete copout. But

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Then Fun Police ruin it for me. I get it, because more than once I've freaked out some family (probably on vacation) who freaked out and froze in the middle of the slope when they saw me flying down the mountain - you know us dangerous snowboarders always wrecking into skiers. That family probably spent more that day than I do in a whole year, so obviously why cater to a weekend warrior who they make next to nothing off of, when they have families spending $5-10k in a week. I haven't been to Copper in a bit, but they didn't have the fun police everywhere the last time I went. Copper just wanted outrageous money for their classes. I figure they netting ~$1k+ per class....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Stevens in WA definitely does not have additional parking options once the main lots and overflow at the nordic center is full.
They’ll tell you they do, one is 30 miles away at the Sultan Chevron or if you’re on the east side down at the Lake Wenatchee turn out, then just climb on a school bus for that enjoyable ride.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
They’ll tell you they do, one is 30 miles away at the Sultan Chevron or if you’re on the east side down at the Lake Wenatchee turn out, then just climb on a school bus for that enjoyable ride.
At Copper you're busing in from remote lots. I don't mind it so much, but my wife hates it so we haven't been to Copper in years. Buses plus traffic thru the tunnels. :cry:

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Your resort offering shuttles from 30 miles away and you're complaining about it and saying it as if it's a bad thing??? How dare Vail, the audacity to provide additional parking and free shuttles to make up for lot size! That's some next level spoilage right there.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Glad they finally added shuttle options, I must have missed seeing that announced;

·
Veteran Member
11,580 Posts
Well it seems Vail is getting the message. No doubt they have screwed up this season, at multiple resorts. The GM for Stevens was fired and they brought in a local guy to run the area for the season.
Vail Resorts Fires Stevens Pass GM, Appoints Interim Replacement

I also see that they came to an agreement with Park CIty ski patrol. No doubt they are starting to feel the pressure.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
So I'm stuck at home with the Covid. :mad: I assume it's omicron and it sucks.

Anyway I got stuck surfing youtube snowboarding videos and went down a rabbit hole of ski/board accidents and/or fights on the mountain - for some strange reason Breckenridge is very prominent in these videos. Either more people are bringing their cameras to Breck or somehow Breck is attracting more out of control newbies and where the [email protected]#$ was Epic Fun Patrol when these a-holes where barreling down the mountain out of control???

·
Veteran Member
11,580 Posts
Breck is also by far the most visited resort in the US. Tons of traffic there, which contributes to more of this being captured there. It's a resort I haven't bothered with in decades.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Breck is also by far the most visited resort in the US. Tons of traffic there, which contributes to more of this being captured there. It's a resort I haven't bothered with in decades.
I didn't know that, but that explains those videos.

I know the town of Breck has been under a ton of pressure for several years. No housing available for workers. The town can no longer handle the tourist traffic.

·
Veteran Member
11,580 Posts
All of the Front Range ski areas are some of the most visited in the US. Most would probably hit the top ten busiest, and I think just about all of them would be on a top 20.

Housing is a problem at just about every ski town these days. I live vey close to Telluride and the housing problems there (and surrounding towns for that matter) are unreal. The short term rental market has really changed the game. It is probably going to take another 5-10 years to shake that one out.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
All of the Front Range ski areas are some of the most visited in the US. Most would probably hit the top ten busiest, and I think just about all of them would be on a top 20.

Housing is a problem at just about every ski town these days. I live vey close to Telluride and the housing problems there (and surrounding towns for that matter) are unreal. The short term rental market has really changed the game. It is probably going to take another 5-10 years to shake that one out.
My wife instructed at Telluride for a season or two. I'm not a big fan of the short term rental market. My next door neighbor can turn their home into a "upscale" hotel with no gov't oversight or input from city planners or the community affected??? I support free markets, but there is such a thing as too free. Epic Passes + an explosion in short term rentals is a great formula for too many tourist and not enough staff.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My wife instructed at Telluride for a season or two. I'm not a big fan of the short term rental market. My next door neighbor can turn their home into a "upscale" hotel with no gov't oversight or input from city planners or the community affected??? I support free markets, but there is such a thing as too free. Epic Passes + an explosion in short term rentals is a great formula for too many tourist and not enough staff.
city planners need to do better, the amount of housing is static for many of these saturated towns, sure the usage is higher but you have a sense of the staff needed. Towns have skated by expecting the long term rental market to handle their staff needs while still driving high property tax luxury real estate growth. There are many example of how other resort towns have built a tax code and zoning laws that build the right amount of high and medium density residential options but that doesn’t spin revenue at the same rate as 5k square foot vacation homes

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
city planners need to do better, the amount of housing is static for many of these saturated towns, sure the usage is higher but you have a sense of the staff needed. Towns have skated by expecting the long term rental market to handle their staff needs while still driving high property tax luxury real estate growth. There are many example of how other resort towns have built a tax code and zoning laws that build the right amount of high and medium density residential options but that doesn’t spin revenue at the same rate as 5k square foot vacation homes
I think certain business models/apps have emerged in the past few years that are circumventing legislation and the local governing bodies let them get away with it. For example, UBER and LYFT are basically taxi companies, but they aren't regulated at all like taxi companies. Just because they say they're a Ride Share company doesn't make it so. I don't know if this a case of our legislators and regulators being paid off or too stupid or too lazy to do their jobs.

VRBO and AirBNB are allowing people to treat residential properties like commercial rentals. An AirBNB looks a lot more like a "one time" time share. Local govt's should be stepping up and preventing this type of usage of residential homes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had a pretty good experience yesterday talking with someone in the know. Vail bought Wilmot around here in 2016, apparently Vail Resorts was going around SE Wisconsin making offers on lots of places, they were aggressively going out and trying to buy up smaller resorts.

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

181 - 200 of 285 Posts