Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
141 - 160 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
all new people should read this post before deciding if they really want to invest in this sport.
It would be nice but won't happen, and theres a ton of people like me. I spent an extra $400 on my pass to be able to ride weekend mornings and holidays, but even with the added cost of those days, the mountain and road infrastructure are unable to accomodate the demand. Leaving many like myself out a lot of money for a service we bought but or unable to access. The purchase is literally worthless for me as I can't justify 10 hours of sitting in stand still traffic starting at 5 am to ride a Saturday morning for a couple hours.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It would be nice but won't happen, and theres a ton of people like me. I spent an extra $400 on my pass to be able to ride weekend mornings and holidays, but even with the added cost of those days, the mountain and road infrastructure are unable to accomodate the demand. Leaving many like myself out a lot of money for a service we bought but or unable to access. The purchase is literally worthless for me as I can't justify 10 hours of sitting in stand still traffic starting at 5 am to ride a Saturday morning for a couple hours.
yeah, I hear you. We spent hours in traffic to go ski/ride in what passes for "back-country" these days. Parking at the few trailheads is getting to be "Epic" as well. I wonder how much of this madness it will take before people just start giving up on the sport?

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,930 Posts
Vails just the biggest fish, my home mountain Berkshire east can’t make enough snow to start open.

the only mountain I’ve been to this year that doesn’t seem to be having a issue is Telluride and I’m assuming that has a lot to do with $1800 season passes and being a premier destination
Loveland seems to be handling the problem pretty well - then again they didn't discount their tickets 20%. I bet Vail thought people would be flying again, didn't forsee the labor shortage and thought they could hook people on the Epic experience with cheap passes. Well that backfired big time.....

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,930 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ouch. $15/hr for a job that requires not only specialized skills, but that you're really good at your specialized skills. I get it, you basically get to have some fun too, but not many skiers can evacuate a injured person off a double black.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Ouch. $15/hr for a job that requires not only specialized skills, but that you're really good at your specialized skills. I get it, you basically get to have some fun too, but not many skiers can evacuate a injured person off a double black.
Yup. It’s not like every day is bluebird sky’s and powder... You got some grueling weather and pretty early starts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Thats the problem with Op-Eds. People read them as facts. Vail is by FAR not experiencing worse issues than others.

Again to reiterate
Mt Hood Meadows: Closed all evening food due to short staff
Mt hood Meadows: Has had 1000% of the upper mountain closed all year (finally opened first day sunday)
SkiBowl: Closed all rentals due to short staff
SkiBowl: Closed all day mountain operations due to short staff. They literally are closed the mountain for staffing.....
President of Vermont Ski Corporation: "Say you work in accounting or in the marketing department, you might be trained to fit ski boots at the rental shop. And then you might go to the cafeteria and scoop soup or make sandwiches or run a cash register"

The list goes on and on. Vail just happens to own a lot of the most popular resorts taht draw the most attention. Nobody cares about mom and pop SkiBowl on Mt hood completely closing due to staffing issues. People seem to forget the ski world outside of Vail, it's interesting.
Most resorts didn't slash their prices and sell record numbers of passes in a move to amass a ton of capital. Now you have a lot more people with a pass in their hand wondering what gives.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Most resorts didn't slash their prices and sell record numbers of passes in a move to amass a ton of capital. Now you have a lot more people with a pass in their hand wondering what gives.
Ya, we greatly increased our prices and still sold record numbers gaining ton of capital for the single families that own our resorts and have worse crowding issues than vail and one of our resorts literally just shut down due to short staffing. We have people like myself who have yet to use a single day of their pass despite paying the maximum extra for add on times because we literally can't even access the resorts....

Almost like demand is so high pass cost doesn't matter. Demand is demand, and it far exceeds currently supply across the industry.
You can debate whats worse, selling lots of cheap passes to people having a bum time on the mountain, or selling lots of crazy expensive passes to people who literally can't even access the mountain. I don't see the debate though 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yup. It’s not like every day is bluebird sky’s and powder... You got some grueling weather and pretty early starts

I don't know the schedule, but if you work the whole day, that's a long day.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Ya, we greatly increased our prices and still sold record numbers gaining ton of capital for the single families that own our resorts and have worse crowding issues than vail and one of our resorts literally just shut down due to short staffing. We have people like myself who have yet to use a single day of their pass despite paying the maximum extra for add on times because we literally can't even access the resorts....

Almost like demand is so high pass cost doesn't matter. Demand is demand, and it far exceeds currently supply across the industry.
You can debate whats worse, selling lots of cheap passes to people having a bum time on the mountain, or selling lots of crazy expensive passes to people who literally can't even access the mountain. I don't see the debate though 🤷‍♂️
I don't know the Portland scene, but in Colorado, we're kinda screwed. I don't see a realistic way to expand the highway (i-70) and even if they were willing to blow mountains apart to do it, that would require shutting the highway down for blasting. Colorado talks about a light rail train to the resorts, but it costs ~$20-30 to drive up and maybe another ~$20 to park, so say ~$10/person for a family of 4 or you and car full of close friends. You really have to get those train ticket prices down to make it work. Even if you can find an economic model to make it work, then you still have to build the thing. And of course, once it's built, that will only attract more people to the mountains...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I don't know the Portland scene, but in Colorado, we're kinda screwed. I don't see a realistic way to expand the highway (i-70) and even if they were willing to blow mountains apart to do it, that would require shutting the highway down for blasting. Colorado talks about a light rail train to the resorts, but it costs ~$20-30 to drive up and maybe another ~$20 to park, so say ~$10/person for a family of 4 or you and car full of close friends. You really have to get those train ticket prices down to make it work. Even if you can find an economic model to make it work, then you still have to build the thing. And of course, once it's built, that will only attract more people to the mountains...
Yup pretty much exactly that. And it's the case in most areas. Mountains by default aren't going to have room for massive infrastructure upgrades. Hood has one circular route to navigate all 3 major resorts as well all the now extremely popular sno-parks, all the hiking trails, and the limited backcountry access. That's why despite now being to a point I can no longer access the resort I paid $1,000 for full unlimited access to I'm not going to complain about the resort, it's not a resort ownership/management issue

We also tried offering shuttles, But what's a shuttle going to do? Each shuttle eliminates what, maybe 10-20 cars of that specific ski resorts traffic? That's not going to make a dent, AND when you go to take the shuttle home, those shuttles still have the same traffic to deal with as everyone else,

I agree the West is just screwed until industry interest changes. The East at least has far mores resorts scattered randomly as opposed to out west where all our resorts tend to sit in bubble areas. Here I can go to 3 resorts for the day, all down the same road. When I was in Michigan and New York I could choose between 5-6 resorts for day trips all in different directions. We're all in for a rough time regardless of who owns resorts, it's not easy to accept but it's better to live in reality right?

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
I'm feeling very lucky right about now. Paid $2k for my pass and I think it's still great value. Tonnes of terrain and no real crowding issues to complain about, obvious holiday and weekend surges but anything longer than a 5 minute lift line is unusually bad.

Reactions: wrathfuldeity

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm feeling very lucky right about now. Paid $2k for my pass and I think it's still great value. Tonnes of terrain and no real crowding issues to complain about, obvious holiday and weekend surges but anything longer than a 5 minute lift line is unusually bad.
What resort?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
What resort?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
Ski Big 3 in Banff. 3 privately owned resorts, so it's our 'mega pass' I guess. Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Mt Norquay.

Reactions: Scalpelman
141 - 160 of 235 Posts