Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
161 - 180 of 285 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Wow spendy. I think mine is $1k for snowbasin.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
I'd happily pay less, it was $1400 when I first got it 5 years ago...

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,313 Posts
I'm in Canada, so I don't know to what extent my experience is even relevant to this discussion, but I have 3 privately owned mountains (Cypress, Grouse, Seymour) and one Vail resort (Whistler) that I regularly visit. Okay, not Grouse, I hate that place. But the other two.

I have the Slopes app on my phone, and because I'm anal AF I use it religiously. One of the things it tells me is the amount of time I spend riding down the hill vs waiting in line and going up the hill. Of the mountains I frequent, Whistler is almost always the best, by a significant amount. Sure there are staffing issues, but that's true on all the mountains. Parks not being built? All the mountains. Lifts closed for no discernible reason? All the mountains. Things not getting fixed in a timely manner? All the mountains. Lesson slots not available or few and far between? All the mountains.

TBH, the mountain I'm the most pissed off at right now is Seymour, for their asinine reservation system with 4-hour slots. Point being, I'm just not seeing anything that would make me wave my fist in the air and curse Vail. Which I've literally done at Seymour, on more than one occasion. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,956 Posts
Yup pretty much exactly that. And it's the case in most areas. Mountains by default aren't going to have room for massive infrastructure upgrades. Hood has one circular route to navigate all 3 major resorts as well all the now extremely popular sno-parks, all the hiking trails, and the limited backcountry access. That's why despite now being to a point I can no longer access the resort I paid $1,000 for full unlimited access to I'm not going to complain about the resort, it's not a resort ownership/management issue

We also tried offering shuttles, But what's a shuttle going to do? Each shuttle eliminates what, maybe 10-20 cars of that specific ski resorts traffic? That's not going to make a dent, AND when you go to take the shuttle home, those shuttles still have the same traffic to deal with as everyone else,

I agree the West is just screwed until industry interest changes. The East at least has far mores resorts scattered randomly as opposed to out west where all our resorts tend to sit in bubble areas. Here I can go to 3 resorts for the day, all down the same road. When I was in Michigan and New York I could choose between 5-6 resorts for day trips all in different directions. We're all in for a rough time regardless of who owns resorts, it's not easy to accept but it's better to live in reality right?
There is a little bit of who came first, the chicken or the egg. If Ikon and Epic didn't exist, then we may not have the volume of skier/boarders that exists now. Inevitably, the big 2 will have price wars to drive up pass sales. These national/international passes look like a deal if you're planning a ski vacation.

The i-70 corridor is always a mess because you access most the big resorts (including 3 Epics and 3 Ikons) from i-70. I have options off the i-70 corridor, but then I'm just trading a slower drive for a longer drive. Traffic is a lot of the reason I took off a few years from snowboarding. Now I want to teach the kiddos to ski, but one of them isn't that big of fan and if traffic continues to get worse, he'll be less of fan when he's old enough to go ski on his own. OTOH, it seems to stupid to live in Denver and pay the premium it costs to live here and not take advantage of the mountains.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The i-70 corridor is always a mess because you access most the big resorts (including 3 Epics and 3 Ikons) from i-70. I have options off the i-70 corridor, but then I'm just trading a slower drive for a longer drive. Traffic is a lot of the reason I took off a few years from snowboarding. Now I want to teach the kiddos to ski, but one of them isn't that big of fan and if traffic continues to get worse, he'll be less of fan when he's old enough to go ski on his own. OTOH, it seems to stupid to live in Denver and pay the premium it costs to live here and not take advantage of the mountains.
Yeah, that's a large reason why I left Denver. I felt like it was too much of a chore getting in to the mountains. Growing up there, the mountains were usually pretty accessible. It's definitely been getting worse over the years. I'd shifted my allegiance and started riding Loveland the last few years largely to avoid dealing with the tunnel crowd. Loveland is awesome in its own right, but I did miss Copper. Now I'm driving the same amount of time, but there's no traffic to speak of and I'm not stuck down in that tight river canyon. I'm not going back lol.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I think I've figured the problem out. It's not a Vail issue, look carefully at the photo; I don't think I see a single snowboarder. These lines are clearly the fault of too many skiers... :p
Is snowboarding slipping in popularity? Skiers stole our shaping and general approach to the mountain. Now they think they're steezy too.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
There is a little bit of who came first, the chicken or the egg. If Ikon and Epic didn't exist, then we may not have the volume of skier/boarders that exists now. Inevitably, the big 2 will have price wars to drive up pass sales. These national/international passes look like a deal if you're planning a ski vacation.

I'd kill to have the I70 corridor with how bad Hood has gotten recently. This weekend was kind of the final straw, I'm not sure I'll use my pass a single day this year. Maybe I'll call in a day or two from work to get a mid-week session in but other than that... I havent had a season in 15 years I rode less than 20 days but when you're talking 5-6 hours to drive 20 miles even if you leave the mountain at 1pm, it's just not doable. One of the more disappointing realizations of my life to this point but it is what it is, we tried pricing people out, tried reservations, the herd mentality is just all outdoor recreation since Covid and you can't beat it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yeah, that's a large reason why I left Denver. I felt like it was too much of a chore getting in to the mountains. Growing up there, the mountains were usually pretty accessible. It's definitely been getting worse over the years. I'd shifted my allegiance and started riding Loveland the last few years largely to avoid dealing with the tunnel crowd. Loveland is awesome in its own right, but I did miss Copper. Now I'm driving the same amount of time, but there's no traffic to speak of and I'm not stuck down in that tight river canyon. I'm not going back lol.

I lived in Colorado Springs, there was a nice back way into breck, wasn’t crowded in the mid 00’, not sure what it’s like today

·
Registered
Flow Fuse-GT, Burton Cartels, Nitro Team TLS, Weston Backwoods, Burton Supermodel, '03 Burton Custom
1,956 Posts
I lived in Colorado Springs, there was a nice back way into breck, wasn’t crowded in the mid 00’, not sure what it’s like today
There is a nice back way into Breck thru Fairplay (Denver, 285 South to Fairplay, 9 North to Breck). From Breck, it's not too far to Keystone, A-Basin or Copper. I'd go thru Fairplay rather than Denver if I was coming from the Springs, but I live in Denver/Metro, so that's just a long way but not any faster. Now that I've been to Monarch, from Fairplay, I'd rather just drive the extra 30 minutes to Monarch.

Breck isn't what it was ~10 years ago. Breck is heavy on the "Epic Fun Police" now. You can still get a lot vertical feet in because Breck has it, but for me, I get my speed up, start making some nice long carves and then there is a slow zone often with people enforcing it. Then you make your way thru the congestion, get back up to speed make some nice carves and BOOM another slow zone. IMHO, the slow zones cause congestion and only provide the illusion of safety without making the mountain safer, just slower and congested in places. I just want to carve top to bottom or maybe deal with 1 slow zone, but 3-4 slow zones to get down a mountain is stupid. I miss ~'00 Breck and the beautifully groomed runs....

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is a nice back way into Breck thru Fairplay (Denver, 285 South to Fairplay, 9 North to Breck). From Breck, it's not too far to Keystone, A-Basin or Copper. I'd go thru Fairplay rather than Denver if I was coming from the Springs, but I live in Denver/Metro, so that's just a long way but not any faster. Now that I've been to Monarch, from Fairplay, I'd rather just drive the extra 30 minutes to Monarch.

Breck isn't what it was ~10 years ago. Breck is heavy on the "Epic Fun Police" now. You can still get a lot vertical feet in because Breck has it, but for me, I get my speed up, start making some nice long carves and then there is a slow zone often with people enforcing it. Then you make your way thru the congestion, get back up to speed make some nice carves and BOOM another slow zone. IMHO, the slow zones cause congestion and only provide the illusion of safety without making the mountain safer, just slower and congested in places. I just want to carve top to bottom or maybe deal with 1 slow zone, but 3-4 slow zones to get down a mountain is stupid. I miss ~'00 Breck and the beautifully groomed runs....

I haven’t been back since ‘06 but did notice they have now made the bowls I used to hike lift accessible, used to love those treks, I assume they get tracked out pretty fast these days

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Loveland has everything you need - even have the park up this year. I hope they open the Ridge Cats back up this year, but probably won't happen. If didn't have kiddos, I'd consider moving to Georgetown or somewhere just east of the tunnels (Clear Creek). I miss Copper too, but the tunnel traffic I saw a couple weeks ago is enough to keep me on the east side of the tunnels. Traffic was backed up all the way to Silverthorne at ~2-3pm on a Sunday. And that was on clear day, so US6 was (probably) open. Does it back-up to Breckenridge when they actually have to close US6? It would really ruin a good day at Copper to sit in stop and go traffic breathing exhaust fumes until you hit the tunnel, just praying it's better on the other side.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I haven’t been back since ‘06 but did notice they have now made the bowls I used to hike lift accessible, used to love those treks, I assume they get tracked out pretty fast these days
I never hiked those bowls, but I heard good stuff so I hit them when they were lift accessible. I assume that ruined them because it was either giant ice moguls or a scraped of sheet of ice. Timberline at Mary Jane got ruined when they went from a slow 2 person chair to a 6 person high speed chair.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Meadows pausing sales of Value and Night passes is latest action to curb peak day congestion | Meadows

Every single lot on all of Mt. Hood, meaning every ski resort lot, every overflow lot, every sno-park lot, all hit capacity this past weekend. I'm all for this attempt to curb issues , love they're trying something, but i just don't see it being enough since the traffic is from a bunch of combined sources.

I think this quote is what puts it in to perspective just how bad it has gotten here "Please don’t park at Teacup. There is no shuttle service and frankly it’s dangerous to park at Teacup, walk across a very busy Highway 35, and hike more than a mile in boots up our access road to our nearest facility"

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
This is pretty normal at park city...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait... is this the type of situation Vail resort riders complain about lots being full? You get to go park somewhere else and still ride?

If so Vail riders really are spoiled, I'd kill for this. Main resort lots closed is an absolute guarantee 100% of every weekend EVERY time here from early season to late season. We then overfill all roadside, extra lots, and basically spare inch of pavement with 10 miles of the resort and have people trying to hike a mile up access roads to get to the resort.

When we say lots are full its an actual man sitting there telling you to turn around and drive an hour and half back home, you wasted your day trying to drive to the mountain. Or pull off on the berm if you can find a spot and sit in your car for a few hours until people leave the mountain for the day and try get a spot then.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Wait... is this the type of situation Vail resort riders complain about lots being full? You get to go park somewhere else and still ride?

If so Vail riders really are spoiled, I'd kill for this. Main resort lots closed is an absolute guarantee 100% of every weekend EVERY time here from early season to late season. We then overfill all roadside, extra lots, and basically spare inch of pavement with 10 miles of the resort and have people trying to hike a mile up access roads to get to the resort.

When we say lots are full its an actual man sitting there telling you to turn around and drive an hour and half back home, you wasted your day trying to drive to the mountain. Or pull off on the berm if you can find a spot and sit in your car for a few hours until people leave the mountain for the day and try get a spot then.
Vail (and Ikon) tend to buy up resorts with big villiages or attached to a town, so they're going to have some options that don't exist at the smaller ski areas.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Here's Vail's solution to the problem:

MAXIMIZE YOUR DAY WITH LIFT LINE FORECASTS
New this season, EpicMix Time displays forecasts of lift line wait times allowing you to spend more time skiing and riding. See what lifts will have the shortest wait times every hour of the day so you can plan your skiing and riding experience.
Leveraging machine learning to improve over time, EpicMix Time provides wait time projections for all lifts using a wealth of historical data and real-time information:
  • Current lift line time
  • Historic lift line times
  • Lift line times at other lifts
  • Current snowfall
  • Day of the week
  • Period of the season
This groundbreaking enhancement is now available at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Keystone and Park City. Coming soon to Whistler Blackcomb, Crested Butte, Heavenly, Northstar, Kirkwood, Stowe and Okemo.

Here are some related products that Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums members are talking about.

161 - 180 of 285 Posts