Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it areas at higher elevations in most places will be more protected from rising temps. curious what the highest base elevations of ski areas near you are?

In New Hampshire I think the tallest are Balsams wilderness which is closed, Cannon and in Maine it's Saddleback. In VT it's maybe stowe pico and bromley.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I think most base areas in Colorado are between 8,000-10,000 feet. Monarch, Loveland, and A-bay are all like 10,700 at the base. Pretty sure it's the altitude that lets Summit county blast tons of snow to get resorts open by mid to late October.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The forecast for New Year's Eve in the French Alps is 10C (50F) at 2500m (8300ft) with full sun and a freezing level at 3,400m. Spring conditions for the new year.
So altitude doesn't always help in extreme conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
I live in the highest elevation town in Alberta and Sunshines base at 7,000ft isn't that high by Colorado standards, but we have the temps. The entire week between Christmas and New years is forecast to be -20C and below 😬

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
mt baker, WA?
Yup, lower lodge sits at 3500' and upper lodge is 4300' and the top of the area is 5000'. However, if the ski area was sitting at 8-10k would be sicko. There are BC open alpine nearby that is 8k and the snow and terrain would be open dreamy and wicked. They will never expand to higher elevation because it would be too much to manage.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In France, most resort will have the village sitting between 1000 and 1500m, with the top a bit below 3000m.

A few resorts (Tignes, Val Thorens. Les deux alpes, alpe d'huez, mainly, but there are a few smaller ones) starts above 2000m and have a bigger share of slopesvabove 2500m, topping at around 3400m. They have proved way more secured in snow coverage over the last two decades.

Some very small to medium resorts around 1000m, including the one I grew up in, have been having really hard time with snow lately. Not that it's not there, but more chaotic, with unusual episodes of warmer temps (with been having spring conditions in December/early January for the last five years at least).

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, lower lodge sits at 3500' and upper lodge is 4300' and the top of the area is 5000'. However, if the ski area was sitting at 8-10k would be sicko. There are BC open alpine nearby that is 8k and the snow and terrain would be open dreamy and wicked. They will never expand to higher elevation because it would be too much to manage.
I went there once back in the day. You guys seeing more rain there over the years?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In France, most resort will have the village sitting between 1000 and 1500m, with the top a bit below 3000m.

A few resorts (Tignes, Val Thorens. Les deux alpes, alpe d'huez, mainly, but there are a few smaller ones) starts above 2000m and have a bigger share of slopesvabove 2500m, topping at around 3400m. They have proved way more secured in snow coverage over the last two decades.
Interesting. I've watch Longo's side hits Euphoria a bunch of times. Wondered where they were in the alps Les Deux alps? Or Chamonix? Went to chamonix back in the day. Really massive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Some very small to medium resorts around 1000m, including the one I grew up in, have been having really hard time with snow lately. Not that it's not there, but more chaotic, with unusual episodes of warmer temps (with been having spring conditions in December/early January for the last five years at least).

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk
Is there any late season or summer riding over there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
As I understand it areas at higher elevations in most places will be more protected from rising temps. curious what the highest base elevations of ski areas near you are?

In New Hampshire I think the tallest are Balsams wilderness which is closed, Cannon and in Maine it's Saddleback. In VT it's maybe stowe pico and bromley.

I think Bolton Valley is highest base in VT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bolton Valley
They say on their site:
  • Vertical Drop: 1,704 feet
  • Base Elevation: 2,100 feet (highest in the Northeast)
  • Summit Elevation: 3,150 feet at Vista Peak
Something doesn't make sense there. Or a few things. Saddleback in Maine says theirs is 2,460. This page says Bolton's base elevation is like 1400 smthg. IDK.

So how do you like Bolton Valley for riding?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
They say on their site:
  • Vertical Drop: 1,704 feet
  • Base Elevation: 2,100 feet (highest in the Northeast)
  • Summit Elevation: 3,150 feet at Vista Peak
Something doesn't make sense there. Or a few things. Saddleback in Maine says theirs is 2,460. This page says Bolton's base elevation is like 1400 smthg. IDK.

So how do you like Bolton Valley for riding?
I’ve only been to Bolton once but they have a nice area for touring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never been. Always wanted to and will get there sometime this year. They have a lot of access to backcountry ski-touring and split boarding. They rent split board gear. From what I've heard the lift served area has a lot of glades. And decent pitches on the upper part with long run-outs. Waiting for more SNOW!!

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

Without fact checking, I’d be very surprised if Bromley were among the tallest in Vermont. It’s got one of the lowest verticals. I love Bromley, spent a lot of last season there. Ridge is a gem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I've never been. Always wanted to and will get there sometime this year. They have a lot of access to backcountry ski-touring and split boarding. They rent split board gear. From what I've heard the lift served area has a lot of glades. And decent pitches on the upper part with long run-outs. Waiting for more SNOW!!
Yeah this season I don't think will be a very good one based on the fact it is another La nina. Supposed to be warmer than normal and precipitation likely average. If it's warmer then there will possibly be melt offs and rain.

That's what I am expecting. We'll get a little bit of snow and things will start to appear good and then the sh*t will hit the fan and will melt off or rain and turn to boiler plate and rocks and then the season will be over. Kinda like last year. I have low expectations.

Then I won't be disappointed. If it's good then great, but this is the east coast and it's not usually that good.

I am in NH at cannon. We get less snow than you, but I went to SMuggs and stowe last year and they didn't seem to have much more. :Last year was La nina too.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The forecast for New Year's Eve in the French Alps is 10C (50F) at 2500m (8300ft) with full sun and a freezing level at 3,400m. Spring conditions for the new year.
So altitude doesn't always help in extreme conditions.
I am suffering from that as well, even if on the other side. Look at weather forecast for tomorrow and day after tomorrow (°C, at 1300mt altitude) in the closest:
Product Font Rectangle Flower Brand

Mildly depressing...

Also here, there are minor local ski resort that are no longer functioning because winters are too warm for snow at low altitude.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts