Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am suffering from that as well, even if on the other side. Look at weather forecast for tomorrow and day after tomorrow (°C, at 1300mt altitude) in the closest:
View attachment 160759
Mildly depressing...

Also here, there are minor local ski resort that are no longer functioning because winters are too warm for snow at low altitude.
Where is that?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah this season I don't think will be a very good one based on the fact it is another La nina. Supposed to be warmer than normal and precipitation likely average. If it's warmer then there will possibly be melt offs and rain.

That's what I am expecting. We'll get a little bit of snow and things will start to appear good and then the sh*t will hit the fan and will melt off or rain and turn to boiler plate and rocks and then the season will be over. Kinda like last year. I have low expectations.

Then I won't be disappointed. If it's good then great, but this is the east coast and it's not usually that good.

I am in NH at cannon. We get less snow than you, but I went to SMuggs and stowe last year and they didn't seem to have much more. :Last year was La nina too.
Cannon actually looks better off right now than most places in the east. I have the Indy Pass so I'll be there sometime this year, probably another month or 2. Any tips on how you approach the mountain? Favorite chairs/areas. I like getting into the woods, narrow trails with some twists and turns. And just cruising finding natural features etc...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there any late season or summer riding over there?
There are some glaciers that offer summer riding, like Tignes, Zermatt and Les Deux Alpes. Late season seems to have got earlier over the last decade. I remember getting decent powder days in Tignes late on in April. Not so much in recent years.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Interesting. I've watch Longo's side hits Euphoria a bunch of times. Wondered where they were in the alps Les Deux alps? Or Chamonix? Went to chamonix back in the day. Really massive.
From what I remember SHE were mainly shot in Avoriaz and Tignes.
Tignes has super large elevation range, but the lower runs (some of them are really cool) have gotten harder to find in good conditions. The Glacier is indeed open in the summer and autumn and the higher elevation make for a pretty good April destination.

Again it's it that we don't have dumps, but warm stretches like the one we are having right now have been pretty chaotic.

Envoyé de mon H8324 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thought of this thread lately… Summer glacier season has been almost non-existent in France. After a year with few snow, lots of heatwaves in the winter and spring, the snowcover was super thin. Les deux Alpes closed on July 10th, one month earlier than expected—which was almost one month earlier than two decades ago—, Tignes opened for a mere two weeks before closing—they used to claim 365 days a year—, Val d'Isère didn't open at all. With so few snow, glaciers are malting like never before. Of course, it's a pretty shitty year even within warming, last year was way better. Still…

Les Deux Alpes, which has the only glacier park since Tignes decided to drop it, is considering ditching summer all together, in favor of an extended freestyle/slalom season like 1st October-1st June with a park. But again, with the melting from the summer, I'm even worried for autumn riding.

·
Registered
421 Posts
We had so much snow last winter that summer resorts opened a month late cuse’ of all the snow. They had to digg the chairlift out ✌🏻
Some of them are still open and going strong.
Closest one is 4 hours away so i’m still riding.

BUT! We definetly see the effects of global warming/change of times or what ever you want to call it. The tree line is climbing so fast you can almost see it from year to year. More extrem rainfall, insects that have never been this far north before, same thing with fish. People are pulling up fish that don’t "belong" here.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts