Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be making trip to Hokkaido from San Francisco via China Airlines, which makes a 2.5 hour stop at Taipei (Taiwan). I'm planning to bring along my own snowboarding equipment, and have a few queries:

• Has anyone made a similar trip, and what snowboarding travel bag worked best for them?
  • Looking at http s://w ww.china-airlines.com/us/en/fly/prepare-for-the-fly/baggage/sporting-equipment (I can't post links) I'm very concerned about excess baggage fee charges.
The 3 times exceeds piece charge is a bit crazy for dimensions exceeding 203cm - US$345 and I may as well buy my own equipment when in Japan.

Does anyone have any anecdotes / suggestions regarding bringing your own snowboard on the flight?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll be making trip to Hokkaido from San Francisco via China Airlines, which makes a 2.5 hour stop at Taipei (Taiwan). I'm planning to bring along my own snowboarding equipment, and have a few queries:

• Has anyone made a similar trip, and what snowboarding travel bag worked best for them?
  • Looking at http s://w ww.china-airlines.com/us/en/fly/prepare-for-the-fly/baggage/sporting-equipment (I can't post links) I'm very concerned about excess baggage fee charges.
The 3 times exceeds piece charge is a bit crazy for dimensions exceeding 203cm - US$345 and I may as well buy my own equipment when in Japan.

Does anyone have any anecdotes / suggestions regarding bringing your own snowboard on the flight?
Can't you speak to the airline and tell them the nature of your trip? Often they make allowances for certain sporting goods to be carried as regular luggage or with minimal fees but only if you speak to them prior to rocking up at the airport.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Is your board over 203 cm? Get a padded rollerbag from Burton or Dakine and so on. 160/170ish is usually more than enough. Shouldn't have to pay more than for an extra regular bag, same weight limit. I get 3 boards and 1 pair of boots and bindings under the weight limit no problem. Can be limited how much sports gear they bring along, so book it early. Swap airlines if they can't manage this, there are plenty who can. Most consider surfboards up to about 240cm as the limit.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hate to say this but it seems to be a grey area that all Chinese airlines may (more likely) or may not charge the oversized luggage fee for snowboard bags. Hopefully this rule will be revised when next winter Olympic is approaching.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses everyone! I looked more carefully at the website and it seems it should be allowed. However, I think I’d better call the airline to confirm the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts