Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Home tuning mess!!

5274 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Tatanka Head
Both myself and my wife ride a lot (30-35 days per season). I am considering purchasing a tuning kit and doing all the tuning at home myself. Currently if we want to wax our boards, we have to go to a friend who has a setup.

The only issue is I live in a 2 bedroom condo with no garage. I have a patio, but not sure how that would work waxing in the cold outside. If i was to set up a station in the side bedroom or living room, I fear it will make a ton of mess and the wife wouldn't like it.

Does anyone else here wax inside, and if so how do you avoid all the scrapings getting everywhere.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· SnowboardingForum.com Editor
79 Posts
I don't like the wax smell from waxing inside (or the smoke, but you shouldn't have any if you're using the right temp with your iron) but you can make due if you open the windows. As for wax scrapings, you can leave the wax on you board until you get to the hill, and then scrape them off there and use a brillo scrubby pad to smooth the base out. Just make sure to have a bag on hand to pick up the shavings... The longer you leave the wax on the better.

· Registered
4,102 Posts
Summon your inner Dexter and go to the dollar store and get some plastic paint drop cloths. Presumably you have a kitchen? That is probably better if you have a carpeted bedroom and things will vacuum up easier.

It's really not a messy job as what you're scraping off is already hardened wax shavinfa that sweep/vacuum up easily.

· Premium Member
7,590 Posts
If you get something like a swix snowboarding stand you can get a bag attachment for it. Save the shavings in different bags for different temperature wax and reuse it.

I melt down the shavings back into a wax bar each season. There are three of us and we actually ride alot, 30 days is a bad year with injuries. My son and I 150+ days and my wife 50-80 days a year for the past 5 seasons. This year we will all be around 50 or 60 days, slacking this season.

We love the wax smell, get the better smelling waxes, smoke isn't an issue with a good iron.

· Registered
660 Posts
I bought the Tools4boards kit on ebay a few years back. It costs a little more than the demon or Dakine, but the iron and edge tool in the Tools4boards kit have more options and are better quality. They also have one with board vices that would come in real handy. I just use 2 buckets on a bench, but sharpening edges on that is a little awkward. None of them come with a big brass brush, which, imo, is necessary to use before waxing. I also bought a p-tex iron and strips for core shots...candles weren't cutting it.

Iron inside, with the windows open/airflow, then scrape on the patio.

· Registered
960 Posts
Summon your inner Dexter and go to the dollar store and get some plastic paint drop cloths. Presumably you have a kitchen? That is probably better if you have a carpeted bedroom and things will vacuum up easier.

It's really not a messy job as what you're scraping off is already hardened wax shavinfa that sweep/vacuum up easily.
This is what I do, works great.

· Not quite reformed yet
8,573 Posts

This is what I do, works great.
...just be very careful not to actually drip the melted wax on the floor or carpet. And DON't step on the shavings. Drip or grind them into the carpet or tile/linoleum and you will have a helluva time getting rid of it. :eyetwitch:

· Premium Member
2,799 Posts
If your going to do it indoors the crayon method of waxing would be ideal. Scraping on to linoleum makes your floor hella slippery for a few days. And the fumes sometimes worry me. But sometimes you just have to deal with what you got.

I have also waxed and scraped in a covered area outside at - 20. So I can say from personal experience the only difference between waxing indoors vs out is just your personal comfort.

· Premium Member
2,434 Posts
If you get something like a swix snowboarding stand you can get a bag attachment for it. Save the shavings in different bags for different temperature wax and reuse it.

I melt down the shavings back into a wax bar each season. There are three of us and we actually ride alot, 30 days is a bad year with injuries. My son and I 150+ days and my wife 50-80 days a year for the past 5 seasons. This year we will all be around 50 or 60 days, slacking this season.

We love the wax smell, get the better smelling waxes, smoke isn't an issue with a good iron.
Thought you & BA where in the NON-WAX group. Remember both of you touted base structure theory... :dunno:

:snowboard3:

· Registered
1,068 Posts

Smoke? That means your iron setting is too hot.

At least the OP is considering something with a ski/snowboard iron, so they will have some control with the heat setting on knob

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

· Registered
140 Posts
I put down newspapers and scrape onto the newspaper. Then collect the shacvings and put them into the bin. Its not foolproof and some wax shavings get out......onto my floor which makes it hell of a slippy for the next wee while! :O

I wanna get a waxing table, but I don't wanna shell out 8000¥ (about $80) for a table....so I just improvise :D

· Registered
779 Posts
I use my cellar space to wax and do the scraping outside. Wax scrapings cling like a motherfucker. I've scraped in my cellar before, but even then, containing it all is a pain in the ass. I've got a few friends here who wax outside and throw monthly wax parties. It isn't an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.