Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just began leaning how to ride hop on boxes and rails and noticed something about the ramps at my hill. It seems that they make the right side of the ramps much wider than the left(probably 3 Snowboards length difference). Is this normal or just something they are doing?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have just began leaning how to ride hop on boxes and rails and noticed something about the ramps at my hill. It seems that they make the right side of the ramps much wider than the left(probably 3 Snowboards length difference). Is this normal or just something they are doing?
Your question is confusing...are you talking about the ride-on approach to the box/rail? And its placement relative to the rail itself?

I.e. the rail/box is placed to skiers left and this leaves the skiers right side of the ride-on open?

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
doesn't sound normal. only thing I can think of intentionally is like extremo says.

otherwise I guess it could be possible that simply nobody at your hill rides goofy, or if regular, ever approaches the features backside, as a result, the left side would see more wear & tear. But this I think would more apply to like, the shape of the lip, not the width of it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your question is confusing...are you talking about the ride-on approach to the box/rail? And its placement relative to the rail itself?

I.e. the rail/box is placed to skiers left and this leaves the skiers right side of the ride-on open?
Yes that is what I'm saying. The rail/box would be placed more to the left of the approach. I ride goofy and I noticed it because I approach from the left a good bit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
doesn't sound normal. only thing I can think of intentionally is like extremo says.

otherwise I guess it could be possible that simply nobody at your hill rides goofy, or if regular, ever approaches the features backside, as a result, the left side would see more wear & tear. But this I think would more apply to like, the shape of the lip, not the width of it.
As I am goofy I noticed this right off. I have yet to see a goofy rider hit a feature and I have been watching because it has frustrated me. I'm not really ready to go back side yet but feel when I do it will be much easier than front side.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've noticed some nice boxes and rails that are better for regular riders (or goofy riders that are good at approaching frontside and backside..) I just started ollie on boxes and some of the more basic ones at the local mountains only have a ride in from my heel side which sketches me out a bit. I'm sure once you're good at both it makes little different but I'm not good at either:icon_scratch:

I do try and hit all ride on boxes from the side now to force myself to practice

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yes that is what I'm saying. The rail/box would be placed more to the left of the approach. I ride goofy and I noticed it because I approach from the left a good bit.
If this is going on all over the park you ride...well...I really have no idea why they would be "off" setting features like this. Maybe ask one of the park crew guys what the deal is?

Where I ride if a feature is getting sketchy or is shaped badly, you can ask any of the park employees and usually somebody will go fix it (rake or chop up the bad parts), or at least check it out with you to see what you're talking about.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this is going on all over the park you ride...well...I really have no idea why they would be "off" setting features like this. Maybe ask one of the park crew guys what the deal is?

Where I ride if a feature is getting sketchy or is shaped badly, you can ask any of the park employees and usually somebody will go fix it (rake or chop up the bad parts), or at least check it out with you to see what you're talking about.
Yea I thought about this but honesty its my first year in the park and I didn't know if that's just the way it is. Its seems on bigger rails they are about the same but next time I go up I'm going to scope it out more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts