Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this board from one of my friends about a year ago for 150 bucks with boots and bindings and this is when i didnt know anything about snowboarding, never went snowboarding with it until this month and ive went about 3 times so far , and I dont really know how others boards are compared to mine, but from the looks of mine it looks pretty bad, is there a way i can restore it, or is it really THAT bad? i am buying a dakine super tune kit pretty soon, and i am wondering if i should instead get it stone ground and tuned at the mountain professionally for 40 bucks instead of buying the super tune kit, id buy both if i had more money to spend, so whats should i do with it and how bad would you say it is?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ok, snowboard "user" here, not a shop tech, so take this with a pinch of salt...

How are the metal edges on the board? If they are not massively dinged up or dented, this seems like nothing a little ptex and a base grind wouldn't cure.

Hopefully some of the "professionals" will chime in...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think your best move would be to take it to a reputable shop and have them base grind/set the edges for you. They can also talk to you about some of the bigger gouges which will probably need some Ptex. That base has seen better days, but the alternative is you turn it into a rock board and buy something in better shape. $150 for board, boots, bindings is OK as long as the boots fit and the bindings are in decent shape.

*EDIT* Well, there you go 3 people responding pretty close calling for the full tune/base grind.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I think you're worrying about it too much. The edges look pretty good. Those scratches are pretty much all lengthwise, so they're not really going to negatively affect your glide. Since you've been going on the cheap, I don't see why you should start dumping $$ into this setup now.

I'd just cut those dangling p-tex "tags" off with a razor and, when you get your tune kit (one with iron included!), I'd maybe fill some of the deeper or perpendicular gouges with candle p-tex and just do a hot wax. Good to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you're worrying about it too much. The edges look pretty good. Those scratches are pretty much all lengthwise, so they're not really going to negatively affect your glide. Since you've been going on the cheap, I don't see why you should start dumping $$ into this setup now.

I'd just cut those dangling p-tex "tags" off with a razor and, when you get your tune kit (one with iron included!), I'd maybe fill some of the deeper or perpendicular gouges with candle p-tex and just do a hot wax. Good to go.
i just spend a while cutting off all the "tags" after i posted this, and for the tune kit the stone grind is only 10 bucks more so might as well get it, next year i'll probably get a new board and then ill already have the kit i bought for this one for my new one so i can apply the wax and have the right stuff to maintain it

·
Registered
238 Posts
i just spend a while cutting off all the "tags" after i posted this, and for the tune kit the stone grind is only 10 bucks more so might as well get it, next year i'll probably get a new board and then ill already have the kit i bought for this one for my new one so i can apply the wax and have the right stuff to maintain it
I am betting that base grind will make a huge difference. Have fun out there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.