Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I picked up this used Capita board and the damage to its base seems pretty bad... just want to get your guys' opinion as to just how bad, and how I can go about fixing it.

So from this photo you can kind of see that the base is just super scratched up in general, some minor, some deeper. Would be fine with a wax or base grind, but...

There's little core shots like this all over the place. I know they're small, but they're numerous.

There's places where core shots HAVE been repaired with ptex before, so it seems, but the ptex is ripping out.

And now, here's where I'm most concerned - the base is separating from the edge slightly in several places. The crack is small, you may be able to slide a thin piece of paper into it.

So please tell me - how serious is it? And how do I fix it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing is, I did take it to shop. The tech said that it wasn't worth the money it would cost to fix it... do you think that's true? He basically said there wasn't enough base left to base grind.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Thing is, I did take it to shop. The tech said that it wasn't worth the money it would cost to fix it... do you think that's true? He basically said there wasn't enough base left to base grind.
What shop did you take it to? Guarantee you he just said that because he doesn't know how to fix it.

FWIW, I've seen and ridden boards that have been damaged much, much worse. You could technically wax that board and ride it, and be totally fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did send a few slightly angry messages to the person who sold this to me and that's what she said too. :p I'm just skeptical because I took it to what most forums say is the best tech shop in town (Vancouver Ski & Board Services Ltd. - Vancouver, BC, Canada) and the tech was super nice about it and they seem to know what they're talking about.

And what of core rot? That's my biggest worry I suppose... the board peeling from the edges as shown in one of those photos is probably a sign of the base swelling? Don't want the thing snapping on me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Your gonna have to put it down behind the old tobacco barn. Sorry son, but I can't do this for you, you gotta carry this burden yourself.

Nah, you should be able to repair it. As long as it doesn't delam or edges start pooching out. Will it be like new? No, but it'll be a good beater board.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
How much did you pay for it? I'm assuming it was pretty cheap, at least it should've been because that thing has definitely been beat to fuck.

Just drop some p-tex in there and hit some of the other major scratches and gouges while you're at it. Then take it in and get a base grind done, wax it and ride the hell out of it. Keep an eye on the p-tex patch as it'll probably pop out after awhile. No big deal, just re-do it.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yeah I hope you didn't pay more than $100 or so for that... Bought sight unseen? If through eBay you can go through those channels, if you bought it in person then buyer beware... :dunno:

I've had several core shots like that and still ride the board, every ptex repair I've had done (myself and professionally) has fallen out rather quickly. Now I just fill things with wax and ride.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I figure covering the exposed wood with epoxy via que-tip, then waxing would be fine. Just don't want that core getting soaked and freezing/thawing. Actually dabbing the wood in epoxy is a good idea regardless even if you Ptex the base.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ouch. So I assume it's safe to say over $100? Not to beat you up over it, but even $100 would've been too much.

Oh well, live and learn.
Yep, I'm already considering it an expensive lesson in both buying used snowboards and base repair. Wallet's hurting, but nothing I can do now but suck it up and patch it up.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Yep, I'm already considering it an expensive lesson in both buying used snowboards and base repair. Wallet's hurting, but nothing I can do now but suck it up and patch it up.
Yeah live and learn. Here's how I figure out used value (just my own little "what it's worth" guide):

1) Brand new from a store I like to pay no more than 70% of MSRP. Many shops go as low as 50% off if you can wait until the next spring and constantly buy last years boards.

2) Nearly new used, no more than 50% of MSRP (see above), and the fact that I don't get a receipt and warranty for it means I'd rather pay about 25%-40% of MSRP.

3) Used and beat up? Less than 25% of MSRP.

That said, might as well have fun learning to do base repairs now yourself. You can do everything at home except the base grind, and that's certainly not a necessity. I say try your best at filling the gouges with PTEX, the gap between the base and edge with epoxy (thin it out if you cant get it in there), and then shave the repairs with a metal scraper and just wax and scrape the thing.

Chances are you'll still get a fair bit of life out of it, and the good thing about a beat up board is you're not scared to wail on the thing. Best thing you can do to a brand new board is get a good scratch in it! :yahoo:

How many days/yr do you ride?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts