Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
supposed to be going to Stratton tomorrow night after work. staying fri night, sat night and coming home saturday.

i have AWD but it is a Honda CRV, not the best.

think i'll be OK?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
supposed to be going to Stratton tomorrow night after work. staying fri night, sat night and coming home saturday.

think i'll be OK?
Presumably you mean coming back Sunday. Good luck with that. It's going to be a mad house between weather and the sheer amount of people on it.

I have never had any real issues with VT roads in bad weather that hasn't been caused by the traffic. Most of your time is on 91 assuming thats the route you take which they do a good job with and it's not supposed to be blizzard conditions.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Umm, what? An AWD CRV is badass on anything snow related. Especially if you have decent tires. I have a landcruiser and my wife has a crv and while mine plows deep snow like a beast, hers handles slippery surfaces better by far.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Presumably you mean coming back Sunday. Good luck with that. It's going to be a mad house between weather and the sheer amount of people on it.

I have never had any real issues with VT roads in bad weather that hasn't been caused by the traffic. Most of your time is on 91 assuming thats the route you take which they do a good job with and it's not supposed to be blizzard conditions.
i don't mind traffic. i just mean physically unable to make it through.

·
Registered
951 Posts
the tru-way through Albany, Troy, etc... is normally the way I take to Mt Snow & Stratton.

Other that.... with good tires (ie snow tires), you'll be fine. All it means you drive slower.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

I second that. I have dash-cam videos of trying to drive down 91 on a Sunday during a storm. Bring snacks, hot coffee, and a LOT of patience. It gets worse the farther you drive, as all the mountains spill out onto 91. By the time you hit the Okemo area it is a total clusterfuck. During a snowstorm, clusterfuck x10. If you know the back road to Stratton, route 101/11, you do better, but it's a small backroad with speed limits of 40mph in GOOD conditions. Hope like hell it's plowed!

We're going to get snow for the next FIVE DAYS. 70-90% chance, so I'd say it's coming. You're CRV will be fine, the question is; are you up to it? I've done it many times. The drive home in the snow often proves to be more exciting than the snowboarding.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I second that. I have dash-cam videos of trying to drive down 91 on a Sunday during a storm. Bring snacks, hot coffee, and a LOT of patience. It gets worse the farther you drive, as all the mountains spill out onto 91. By the time you hit the Okemo area it is a total clusterfuck. During a snowstorm, clusterfuck x10. If you know the back road to Stratton, route 101/11, you do better, but it's a small backroad with speed limits of 40mph in GOOD conditions. Hope like hell it's plowed!

We're going to get snow for the next FIVE DAYS. 70-90% chance, so I'd say it's coming. You're CRV will be fine, the question is; are you up to it? I've done it many times. The drive home in the snow often proves to be more exciting than the snowboarding.
thanks man, was hoping you were going to reply. if not, a PM was headed your way. :notworthy:

is there a "best time" to leave sunday? early, mid morning, later? i'd personally probably want to be on the road by 11.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
From what I am seeing, Sunday AM is supposed to be heaviest. So, if you have to travel Sunday, later might be better. It also depends on where your destination is I would think.

In my area of MA, the snow predictions are:

Saturday: 1-3"
Sunday: 5-8"
Monday: 8-12"

If I go up North this weekend, I think I'll be heading home Monday night or Tuesday AM. The goal is to get to snowboard when it is storming and drive when its not :)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
From what I am seeing, Sunday AM is supposed to be heaviest. So, if you have to travel Sunday, later might be better. It also depends on where your destination is I would think.

If I go up North this weekend, I think I'll be heading home Monday night or Tuesday AM. The goal is to get to snowboard when it is storming and drive when its not :)
where are you seeing these totals?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
thanks man, was hoping you were going to reply. if not, a PM was headed your way. :notworthy:

is there a "best time" to leave sunday? early, mid morning, later? i'd personally probably want to be on the road by 11.
It's going to start Saturday, a lot lighter, so if you can leave by then you're better off. It is 90% chance of snow Sunday, all day. And it's going to last for a few days. Travel on Sunday will suck...I-91 is a long miserable haul in bad weather, with usually one lane cleared (pass in the left lane if you have the nerve). But going to Mt. Snow you can turn off in Greenfield, MA and head up Rt. 2 to Rt 112 (stop at Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters just before your right turn onto 112N), or just stay on 91 to Brattleboro and take Rt. 9W. Both will be twisty little back roads, so if the weather sucks it will be a long drive either way.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

ill be at stratton

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Shame the east part of the state is so flat. West half of the state or VT isn't gonna get anywhere near that much.

You aren't even east. Less than an hour east of me and they say double our amounts. Think I'll wait a bit longer to see what the numbers really turn into.
I was looking on Snow-Forecast.com and also WeatherUnderground.com looking at each resort and it seemed like the resorts further South and East would be getting the most snow. Mount Snow was the highest I saw, while Stratton is projecting to get some and Killington as well. The rest of the resorts only a few inches.

Mount Snow: 5-8" on Sunday & Monday
Mount Snow, Vermont (05356) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

Killington: 5-8" on Sunday & 3-5" Monday
Killington, Vermont (05751) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

Stratton same as Killington
Stratton Mountain, Vermont (05155) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

Stowe looking at a little less: 1-3" Sunday & Monday
Stowe, Vermont (05662) Conditions & Forecast | Weather Underground

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
ill be at stratton
Yes I know, by "destination" I meant where you live/will be traveling back to. My point was that back in MA, they're predicting 8-12" Monday, so you wouldn't want to drive back to MA that day... that's what I was getting at. Not only do you have to consider the weather at the resort, but also at your home.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I know, by "destination" I meant where you live/will be traveling back to. My point was that back in MA, they're predicting 8-12" Monday, so you wouldn't want to drive back to MA that day... that's what I was getting at. Not only do you have to consider the weather at the resort, but also at your home.
oh, im sorry. westchester county, ny

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's going to start Saturday, a lot lighter, so if you can leave by then you're better off. It is 90% chance of snow Sunday, all day. And it's going to last for a few days. Travel on Sunday will suck...I-91 is a long miserable haul in bad weather, with usually one lane cleared (pass in the left lane if you have the nerve). But going to Mt. Snow you can turn off in Greenfield, MA and head up Rt. 2 to Rt 112 (stop at Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters just before your right turn onto 112N), or just stay on 91 to Brattleboro and take Rt. 9W. Both will be twisty little back roads, so if the weather sucks it will be a long drive either way.
you're scaring me dude. leaving westchester ny tomorrow night after work and planning to ride sat and sun and come home sun.

yikes.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
you're scaring me dude. leaving westchester ny tomorrow night after work and planning to ride sat and sun and come home sun.

yikes.
Mis-read, thought you said coming up Sunday...but it doesn't really change much, because Sunday is going to be a horrible travel day. Your drive up shouldn't be bad if you've ever driven in snow. Should be just another snow storm. It will be your return trip that will be trouble, that's why I said have a contingency plan. Don't let me scare you, c'mon up! It will be an EPIC weekend for riding. Oh, bring lots of extra layers. Gonna be COLD up here!

Supposed to be -7 here in CT tomorrow night. But it warm up during the day! :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mis-read, thought you said coming up Sunday...but it doesn't really change much, because Sunday is going to be a horrible travel day. Your drive up shouldn't be bad if you've ever driven in snow. Should be just another snow storm. It will be your return trip that will be trouble, that's why I said have a contingency plan. Don't let me scare you, c'mon up! It will be an EPIC weekend for riding. Oh, bring lots of extra layers. Gonna be COLD up here!

Supposed to be -7 here in CT tomorrow night. But it warm up during the day! :)
yep. as long as its not impassable on sunday, i'll drive home. probably in the evening after some riding and a shitton of coffee.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
yep. as long as its not impassable on sunday, i'll drive home. probably in the evening after some riding and a shitton of coffee.
Key words: "As long as it's not impassable on Sunday." Please be careful. Watch the weather reports. Nobody that I know that actually lives here is making it up to Vermont, even with the powder...not because of the trip, but because of the trip home. The locals...we'll wait for mid-week when the storms have stopped but there is still a foot of powder!

Just bustin' your cajones! You'll have a great time. But in all seriousness, pack your car with some canned meat, water and extra flashlights, and blankets. It's not just a ride, it's and adventure!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts