Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I read and post here I come to realise that Snowboarding is almost a completely different activity depending on location. Some like to hit the groomers, some huck cliffs.

How different do we see each side? Are these things even the same activity/sport?

Sure, it's all snow sliding but the opposites are a long way apart...

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's the same sport it's just the limitations we all have. If we all had 3000 vertical, endless pillows and huge amounts of powder I guarantee you we'd all be doing the same exact thing. And when there's no powder days you can find me and everybody else in the park.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The more I read and post here I come to realise that Snowboarding is almost a completely different activity depending on location. Some like to hit the groomers, some huck cliffs.

How different do we see each side? Are these things even the same activity/sport?

Sure, it's all snow sliding but the opposites are a long way apart...

Depending on location, age, background, and sack dimensions.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I often imagine riding some of the super mellow groomed slopes I see in go-pro footage and wonder how I'd approach that. Yep, I guess I'd hit the park...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I often imagine riding some of the super mellow groomed slopes I see in go-pro footage and wonder how I'd approach that. Yep, I guess I'd hit the park...
Watch the first 5 minutes...(If you haven't already)

·
Land of the Potato
1,228 Posts
I often imagine riding some of the super mellow pow glades I see in go-pro footage and wonder how I'd approach that. Yep, I guess I'd hit the park...
fixed that for ya. groomers are shit and only serve to get me around the mountain to the goods:D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So lucky to have the powder and terrain we have here. I just can't get exited about anything other than fresh powder and big scale mountains. No lift lines on weekdays either.

On the smaller mountains here people seem to solve the problem of boring groomers with ground tricks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
On the smaller mountains here people seem to solve the problem of boring groomers with ground tricks.
I find this to be the truth. Im a product of my environment. I dont have big mountains to ride or glorious pow so i ride a lot of park to get my thrills. No one wants to ride groomers all day unless you like mindless runs, and get your kicks from avoiding skiers and tourists.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

This is what I am talking about,

not the park but ground tricks on green and blue runs

the Japanese dudes kill it

·
Registered
397 Posts
Maybe I'm just too old school, but that shit in that video looks ridiculous, like they need to take a shit really bad but can't get the bindings to release.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's the same sport it's just the limitations we all have. If we all had 3000 vertical, endless pillows and huge amounts of powder I guarantee you we'd all be doing the same exact thing. And when there's no powder days you can find me and everybody else in the park.
Yes.

10char

·
Super Moderator
5,781 Posts
the riders are definitely talented but whoever edited that needs to be slapped. The cuts are so quick and frequent that you can't tell if they're doing a trick or being caught halfway through a fall. Even hitting a friggin' rail, they had to cut it halfway through. Jeez.

·
Premium Member
7,577 Posts
Watch the first 5 minutes...(If you haven't already)

That ice shit is nuts. I'm still not a fan of the straight bombing xdlr does, definately a great technical rider but I really enjoy the mix of big lines with some freestyle mixed in a lot more

·
2,316 Posts
It's all about big mountain freeriding for me. Good powder ruins your appreciation for groomers, and I don't want to break myself doing park (rather huck cliffs). In this sense I get fewer days then a lot of other people in a similar situation, but I mostly ride epic days. Quality > Quantity in my opinion. Definitely a powder snob :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fixed that for ya. groomers are shit and only serve to get me around the mountain to the goods:D
Haha, nice one. Yeah super mellow glades take some careful approaching on pow days, that or get stuck and hike out :thumbsdown:

Just came from riding some pow, some groomer, some wtf is that shit?! Some nice stuff going down round here right now, all I gotta say is not many folks in the park at the moment :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
the riders are definitely talented but whoever edited that needs to be slapped. The cuts are so quick and frequent that you can't tell if they're doing a trick or being caught halfway through a fall. Even hitting a friggin' rail, they had to cut it halfway through. Jeez.
Yeah the editing sucks. For some reason all the ground trick vid teasers have the same style here:dunno:.

The point is the tricks though and I think its a pretty good solution to making green runs and blue runs more fun.

I ride powder probably 80% of the time, still to get to stashes I ride groomed runs and this makes it much more fun.

Most riders here have some ground tricks up their sleeve and I am starting to get into it, one reason I bought a proto:thumbsup:.

It takes a lot of skill and edge control, more than a spin of a jump IMO.

For the guy who said it looks ridiculous, each to their own. Any chance you want to post a vid of yourself so we can compare which looks better:cheeky4:.

I see guys pulling moves like this every time I go boarding.

Looks pretty sick to me;).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts