Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boots seem to be the worst sellers, personal fit (obviously) and potential smell probably come into play. I even have brand new boots that didn't get a single bid on eBay at 1/4 price anywhere on the net. I see used boots galore on forums, understandable since it's so hard to buy someones foot moulded boot without trying em on. Another issue for me is shipping, boots are bulky and more expensive to ship from Canada.

The local ski swap worked for a couple pairs of super cheap boots I sold but the better ones were past over, people seemed to just want ultra cheap or none at all. All the higher end used boots didn't sell well.

So, maybe a consignment shop?

I'd really like new boots but I can't seem to unload my current ones. I haven't tried classified ads yet, haven't bothered because I see others' stuff sitting for a long time.

:dunno:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that old bbots are only good for 2 things. 1. The garbage. 2. Hooking up a friend who just needs something to ride in and doesn't care about how old or used they are.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Ya I'm having a hard time selling my kids boots.
Good boots, only one season on them, the other pair only has 1/2 season as my boy broke his wrist mid- season last year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would try finding a local gear swap or something like that, that is where I will be taking my old boots to try to sell for one last time before I throw them in my attic for friends to eventually borrow. In my experience most of the people who are shopping for used gear (namely boots) are new to the sport and want to save as much money as possible, not fully understanding the benefit of high end boots versus a shiny new pair of Morrows on sale at Big 5. That said, there is always the undeniable funk/gross factor of another person's used footwear...

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,806 Posts
I put my old boots on an ad on the company internal website for free. "They're in my cubicle. First person who takes them, gets them".

Gone in a day. I know, I could have gotten a few $ for them if I'd put in the effort, but fukit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I decided to keep my old boots (and my kids old boots) we bring friends, family, and the kids friends along from time to time and if the gear fits it saves them some cash. Plus I never know when I might break something on my new pair and need to use my old ones.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I put my son's used boots nicely next to our garbage can at the front of our house. Still sitting there after a week. Not even the homeless people want them. Maybe there aren't too many homeless people with size 7.5 feet?

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,806 Posts
My reluctance to list boots on craigslist comes from having looked for used boots in the past. Getting just the right fit is so important in snowboarding boots that unless you are very lucky or know exactly what you want, you're going to spend a lot of time driving around. And if you're selling, you'll get a lot of visitors before you make the sale. I just don't have the time or the patience, not for $50 at most.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Most of the time boots around here go to friends of friends who are learning to ride so they have something better than rental boots to wear when they are first going out. My roommate just sold a pair of old boots on craigslist for fifty bucks to some guy who liked that size and style and couldn't find them anywhere else. I guess some of it is luck though

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason I don't want to bother with eBay is that 90% of my customers on eBay are in the US and it is cost prohibitive and a pain to ship for the tiny money I would make. Also the brand new boots I put up didn't have a single watcher. I sell a fair amount of stuff there but why waste my oh so valuable time on relisting when I know I'll get barely anything. I think I'll use em another season then just unload em next year. I am just tired of having laces and wanted to go back to boa but I can't justify having 3 pairs of boots!

·
Registered
964 Posts
I was going to make a sarcastic comment about just throwing them out but then I remembered that I have several pairs of worn out boots sitting in my apartment right now, a couple of which have been but back together to some degree with either duct tape or hot glue gun. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Tie the shoelaces together and throw them up on some power lines

·
Registered
538 Posts
Boots seem to be the worst sellers, personal fit (obviously) and potential smell probably come into play. I even have brand new boots that didn't get a single bid on eBay at 1/4 price anywhere on the net. I see used boots galore on forums, understandable since it's so hard to buy someones foot moulded boot without trying em on. Another issue for me is shipping, boots are bulky and more expensive to ship from Canada.

The local ski swap worked for a couple pairs of super cheap boots I sold but the better ones were past over, people seemed to just want ultra cheap or none at all. All the higher end used boots didn't sell well.

So, maybe a consignment shop?

I'd really like new boots but I can't seem to unload my current ones. I haven't tried classified ads yet, haven't bothered because I see others' stuff sitting for a long time.

:dunno:
Eh, unless you get a great price for used boots, its not going to be like spending nothing for new ones. I tend to hold onto them like most said in case of problems. I did break the wheel off on my Boa's on the second to last day of an excellent trip, and was glad I at least had my old boots to throw on rather than renting something. Plus, it is nice for when u bring people without their own gear.

Edit: Plus you can get a much nicer price and possibly better boots than you expected if you can hold off till March/April sales. Always buy my new stuff April or later. Saves quite a bit over buying it in November.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Edit: Plus you can get a much nicer price and possibly better boots than you expected if you can hold off till March/April sales. Always buy my new stuff April or later. Saves quite a bit over buying it in November.
Yea good call, I don't "need" new boots atm. I'll try the ones I haven't even used yet. I can't even remember why I didn't use them! I think they dug into my calf (they are those Burton Stumpys that were supposed to replicate 90's boots).

My "mains" are 32 Lashed. Only complaint is the damn laces are ridiculously long, I assume this was for people who like to double wrap their laces.

I just remember the days of my Salomon Malamutes fondly, nice aggressive boot. I also had DC boa boots I sold, again can't even remember why. The boa seems so nice now though after 2 years of lacing.
The other boots I sold to a coworker, on eBay and one set on forums but they were high end and I lost monney galore on them (the DC boa). And lets not talk about my spouses custom fitted $900 ski boots he wore 2x and decided he wanted to return to snowboarding. :dunno:

In his defence he is extremely pronated (aka pancake feet, flat footed) so we have gone through a ton of boots trying to get a decent fit.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
At my first gear swap, a helpful guy asked me if I wanted to make money, or get rid of shit. If I get enough for a case of beer for an old pair of boots, it's a good deal.

·
Registered
225 Posts
How do these ski and snowboard shop work ? I always see them but never know how it's done... Is it u bring ur old gear to them they buy it off u cheap then resell to the public for a bit higher ?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts