Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used and I'm just curious how common it is. I've recently took some pretty wicked falls trying to progress in the park on larger features. I've got 5's down (well.. kinda!) and I'm getting better on rails, but I'm usually pretty beat up by the end of the day. :dizzy:

I'm really thinking about getting some shorts/kneepads and maybe even vest. I'm guessing I'll just use the shorts for the most part but I might as buy the whole setup! I was looking at the "Skeletools" website - Do these restrict movement or annoy the fuck out of you?

I would of never thought about this 4-5 years ago, I must be getting soft as I age!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought butt pad and wrist guards after my first time out on the mountain. After awhile I can't even tell i was wearing the pad. The wrist guards does kind of get in the way, but it's better than visting the doctor.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,893 Posts
Knee/shin pads, padded shorts, spine protector, helmet. With snowboarding clothing, you can't tell if someone is wearing armour or not.

Interestingly, now that I'm used to wearing it, I actually don't ride as aggressively when I don't have it on.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've never used and I'm just curious how common it is. I've recently took some pretty wicked falls trying to progress in the park on larger features. I've got 5's down (well.. kinda!) and I'm getting better on rails, but I'm usually pretty beat up by the end of the day. :dizzy:

I'm really thinking about getting some shorts/kneepads and maybe even vest. I'm guessing I'll just use the shorts for the most part but I might as buy the whole setup! I was looking at the "Skeletools" website - Do these restrict movement or annoy the fuck out of you?

I would of never thought about this 4-5 years ago, I must be getting soft as I age!
I wear skeletools to help absorb impact in hopes of protecting from aggravating my lower back and they don't restrict movement at all. You don't really notice them when you're riding. It does kinda feel like you're wearing a diaper when you first put them on but you quickly forget about them.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You certainly need them if you are trying out or learning new park tricks. With them on, you actually learn more rather than limited by aches here and there. But still, play sensibly and also wear a helmet.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I wear full upper body armor, no wrist guards... Looking at getting a full lower soon too. If something can keep me on the slopes more days out of the year, I'll do it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wear full upper body armor, no wrist guards... Looking at getting a full lower soon too. If something can keep me on the slopes more days out of the year, I'll do it.
You mean you have an upper body armor that includes spine protector, shoulder pads, clavicular pads and elbow guards all in one piece?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Impact shorts. First time I went snowboarding, I couldn't sit for 2 weeks and I really wish I was joking with that. Bought some Demon Snow Hard Tail shorts from Back Country(gotta love that unlimited lifetime returns if you hate them) and last week when I first tried them out I could hardly feel any falls on my butt or tailbone. I had no soreness/injury whatsoever and could have gone snowboarding the next day guaranteed...as opposed to what I was doing the first time which was squatting over the toilet when I had to go #2 because I just could not put my butt down on the seat because of the pain(you gotta do what you gotta do bro). Worth it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Noob here, but getting butt pads and wrist guards. Oh and have a helmet now :D

I'm still on the lookout for knee pads. I fall on my knees a lot and they were sore for weeks after the last trip. Seriously, my butt had healed but my knees still hurt! So yeah... I'm into strapping pillows to myself, they are for sure cheaper than doctor's bills and I don't want any long-term effects of being a clumsy noob on a board :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
I wear impact shorts. Demon Pro.

Will probably end up getting upper body protection as well. I faced the music a couple seasons ago... I'm aging and my body just doesn't bounce back from the dumbest of injuries like it used to.

Even with the impact shorts, my tailbone has been sore for the past few months. Can't imagine what shape I'd be in if I didn't have it.

I never notice it while riding. The only time I notice it is when I take a break to sit down. Another annoyance is having to remove it before driving as it is not comfortable sitting on it for extended periods of time.

I really don't care if people see it on me. In fact, I put it on and off in the parking lot out in the open.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
When jibbing in the back yard I wear protec knee and elbow pads. But when I'm on the mountain I wear the knee pads about 50% of the time, more so when I plan on riding park.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
You mean you have an upper body armor that includes spine protector, shoulder pads, clavicular pads and elbow guards all in one piece?
Exactly, it's in a jacket format, although I've got a mid-low end model so the only parts that are hard plastic are the shoulder pads and elbow pads. The rib protection is just thin little strips of plastic, spine protector is a layer of foam, same with the clavicle pads.

I ride aggressively and it's saved my ass a few times!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered the whole setup, I'm looking forward to trying them out!
Not looking forward to the inevitable bail though, haha!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Exactly, it's in a jacket format, although I've got a mid-low end model so the only parts that are hard plastic are the shoulder pads and elbow pads. The rib protection is just thin little strips of plastic, spine protector is a layer of foam, same with the clavicle pads.

I ride aggressively and it's saved my ass a few times!
Damn, wish I was wearing something like this on Monday when I ate shit and separated my shoulder, possibly ending my damn season. I am definitely going to look into one of these for next season, any recommendations as far as brand/style?

I agree with others, i'll go on the hill looking like Robocop if it saves my ass from injury and prolongs the season. Getting hurt blows!

·
Rides Caturdayz
538 Posts
Usually g form knee pad (helps with a bum right knee) and azzpadz.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wear a tailbone guard. I don't fall much but when I do it's usually on the butt and tailbone injuries can really hurt. My POC shorts are so low profile that I don't even feel I'm wearing them so it's a no-brainer. And I always wear a helmet. You never know what might hit you...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts