Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Vail gets a lot of abuse, but I just got an email from them regarding my and my wife's season passes. Since my wife didn't actually use hers (that's a whole 'nother story), she's getting 80% credit for next season. Since I used the hell out of mine, I'm getting 20%. I'm well past payback, so that's just gravy for me, and for my wife, it's just a couple hundred bucks to get one for next season.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I was surprised Vail gave me 20% too! I got a ton of use outta my pass last season. I'm just going to use it as a discount towards next year's riding. Thanks Vail.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I got that email too. Hooray! It was unexpected but nice.

Then I tried to use the code they gave to buy next season's epic pass, at the very very end of the purchase the web site says the code is invalid. So now I have to call.

My experience with Vail is that whatever duct tape and bailing wire IT system handles their passes is complete shit and they should just have humans doing everything because that's what ends up happening anyway. The only time they seem to not be that interested in extracting as much money from me as possible is when I'm TRYING to give them my money.

<rant>
So last season, I bought an Epic Local pass in April. It hadn't arrived in the mail by opening day, so I got there extra early, still waited in line for an hour to get my pass, and after the customer service person did that asked if I needed anything else. I told her that if she could leave feedback for Vail that if I buy a pass in the Spring that it would be great if it could be mailed so that I get it in advance of opening day. She said "Well, Vail has to mail out millions of passes. And we've been open here so you could always come pick it up in person before opening day." So I said, "Yeah, the thing is I bought the pass last spring so that I didn't have to spend three hours in the car to come here just to pick up my pass."

Somehow every other company in the world I've ever bought something from has managed to get it to me in less than seven months, so I was a bit surprised this was the response. Not everything Vail has done to Stevens Pass is bad but I wouldn't say it's improved overall and the feel of the place has definitely changed from "favorite local resort" to "where else are you going to go now, asshole?"

The fun part of the story is I got the original Epic Local pass I bought in the mail two weeks later.
</rant>

·
Registered
454 Posts
I know Vail gets a lot of abuse, but I just got an email from them regarding my and my wife's season passes. Since my wife didn't actually use hers (that's a whole 'nother story), she's getting 80% credit for next season. Since I used the hell out of mine, I'm getting 20%. I'm well past payback, so that's just gravy for me, and for my wife, it's just a couple hundred bucks to get one for next season.
How much do the passes cost?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I got that email too. Hooray! It was unexpected but nice.

Then I tried to use the code they gave to buy next season's epic pass, at the very very end of the purchase the web site says the code is invalid. So now I have to call.

My experience with Vail is that whatever duct tape and bailing wire IT system handles their passes is complete shit and they should just have humans doing everything because that's what ends up happening anyway. The only time they seem to not be that interested in extracting as much money from me as possible is when I'm TRYING to give them my money.

<rant>
So last season, I bought an Epic Local pass in April. It hadn't arrived in the mail by opening day, so I got there extra early, still waited in line for an hour to get my pass, and after the customer service person did that asked if I needed anything else. I told her that if she could leave feedback for Vail that if I buy a pass in the Spring that it would be great if it could be mailed so that I get it in advance of opening day. She said "Well, Vail has to mail out millions of passes. And we've been open here so you could always come pick it up in person before opening day." So I said, "Yeah, the thing is I bought the pass last spring so that I didn't have to spend three hours in the car to come here just to pick up my pass."

Somehow every other company in the world I've ever bought something from has managed to get it to me in less than seven months, so I was a bit surprised this was the response. Not everything Vail has done to Stevens Pass is bad but I wouldn't say it's improved overall and the feel of the place has definitely changed from "favorite local resort" to "where else are you going to go now, asshole?"

The fun part of the story is I got the original Epic Local pass I bought in the mail two weeks later.
</rant>
I mean they did just announce all this, give em some time to get it fully set up and functioning. It's really a hell of a deal they're giving people. Far better in fact than a lot of places. I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to get your pass and discount. Vail may suck but we can't go full blown Karen because a code for a pass that will be used in 6 months doesn't work day 1.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I pretty sure Australian Resorts in NSW and Victoria are aiming to open around 1st July 2020. Our season normally starts from Queens Birthday long weekend (08/06/20).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nothing from sun peaks. It’s been funny reading their updates. They just blow smoke up their own arses about how amazing their season was (it wasn’t amazing).

·
Registered
641 Posts
I got the same email from Vail. My son is on the high school ski team and gets a season pass for our local molehill. He's getting the same 20% others are getting, which isn't bad considering his season ended before lockdowns started, so between practices and race days he got full use of his pass. The only thing he missed out on was the end of the season family race event.

·
Registered
820 Posts
How much do the passes cost?
$979 for a full Epic Pass, and $729 for a Local Pass with a few more restrictions and without Telluride access. Vail does offer smaller, more localized passes as well. I could ride Keystone with Breckenridge Spring access and 5 days at Crested Butte for $389, or ride Keystone and Breckenridge all season for $589.

<rant>
I've also had to go in and grab my pass. Unfortunately, the pass office wasn't at the resort I was trying to ride that day! Keystone was still closed, but they had the pass office at the gondola base open...? I was trying to ride A-Basin, and drove an extra few miles to Keystone for my pass, which really isn't that bad. However, for close to a thousand dollars, you'd think they could get you a pass in the mail before the season starts.

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I mean they did just announce all this, give em some time to get it fully set up and functioning. It's really a hell of a deal they're giving people. Far better in fact than a lot of places. I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to get your pass and discount. Vail may suck but we can't go full blown Karen because a code for a pass that will be used in 6 months doesn't work day 1.
Since our passes are on auto-renew, I don't even actually have to do anything. The credit will be applied in September when they put through the charge. I just keep using the same physical pass.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Big white offering current passholders 20% discount on seasons passes for 20/21 season. Seems to be on par.

Sounds good to me. Staying positive that we'll have a 20/21 season.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Big white offering current passholders 20% discount on seasons passes for 20/21 season. Seems to be on par.

Sounds good to me. Staying positive that we'll have a 20/21 season.
Is that 20% off the early bird price? If so that's pretty decent. They jacked up the early bird price by $60 but still works out to be about $90 cheaper than last years early bird price i think for previous pass holders.
Nothing from sun peaks yet....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Is that 20% off the early bird price? If so that's pretty decent. They jacked up the early bird price by $60 but still works out to be about $90 cheaper than last years early bird price i think for previous pass holders.
Nothing from sun peaks yet....

Yes, it applies to early bird as well.

Didn't notice they upped the early bird price...but yeah, I think it came to around 600 plus whatever fees/taxes.

I would imagine Sun Peaks and Silver Star will offer the same 20%, if they haven't already.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Alterra finally addressed a huge concern which was, what happens if the season starts and then closes again due to a resurgence of the virus? Turns out they are going to give discounts towards the following years pass, but don't say what those discounts will be, and are still offering a lame discount on this years prices ($200 for renewing customers). Paying $300 more (including their lame discount) for a season pass than I paid last year isn't a deal for me. I'm still pretty disappointed this company has bought my home mountain, and have yet to see anything positive come out of it.

More Time to Defer Your Unused 20/21 Pass*
For any reason, if you don’t use your Ikon Pass or Sugarbush Local Pass, you will have the option to defer the purchase price paid for your 20/21 Ikon Pass or Sugarbush Pass toward the purchase of a 21/22 Ikon Pass or Sugarbush Pass using the new Zero-Day Credit — no questions asked. Now, you can make this decision anytime between September 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021 (previously September 10 - December 10, 2020).

Added Assurance Due to Possible COVID-19 Closures*
In addition, should any eligible Ikon Pass destination, including Sugarbush, close due to COVID-19 between December 10, 2020 and April 11, 2021, Ikon Pass holders and Sugarbush Pass holders will receive a proportional credit towards any 21/22 Pass.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks like Silver Star is freezing there season pass rate from last year, with a 15% discount for previous season pass holders, which can be applied to early bird as well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sun peaks is freezing last years rate and giving around a 10%ish discount for adult returning pass holders. Pretty crap compared to the other BC/Alberta resorts it seems. I had low expectations for them to start with so it's better then nothing I guess.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts