Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sun peaks is freezing last years rate and giving around a 10%ish discount for adult returning pass holders. Pretty crap compared to the other BC/Alberta resorts it seems. I had low expectations for them to start with so it's better then nothing I guess.
Remember this isn't charity situation. You lost less than 1/5th of the season, and that time lost is very low usage so 10% off and freezing last years rate is probably almost exactly economically equivalent so it's realistically a pretty fair deal I think a lot of people were just hoping for freebies just because, but these are all still businesses. As long as theyre giving you roughly what you lost out on that's more than fair.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You’re correct - it’s not a charity, I paid for the advertised season, not for the sun peaks resort charity. Spring riding is definitely not low usage time for me. 1/5th isn’t 10% and 1/5th of over 1K is a lot of money for nothing. So no they aren’t giving roughly what we lost. And to be honest, if they cancelled when the rules came in rather than just when the other resorts quit and they realized they wouldn’t be making a killing from food and booze, I would have been more ok with it. Also would have been ok with it if they weren’t constantly blowing smoke up their own arses the whole time about how great they are. They also bragged about that they will continue paying their staff but they left out the part in the article where that didn’t count for seasonal workers. it’s not looking for freebies as you say, it’s looking for a refund for the cancelled season just like the day pass customers received. You sound like you work for sun peaks.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You’re correct - it’s not a charity, I paid for the advertised season, not for the sun peaks resort charity. Spring riding is definitely not low usage time for me. 1/5th isn’t 10% and 1/5th of over 1K is a lot of money for nothing. So no they aren’t giving roughly what we lost. And to be honest, if they cancelled when the rules came in rather than just when the other resorts quit and they realized they wouldn’t be making a killing from food and booze, I would have been more ok with it. Also would have been ok with it if they weren’t constantly blowing smoke up their own arses the whole time about how great they are. They also bragged about that they will continue paying their staff but they left out the part in the article where that didn’t count for seasonal workers. it’s not looking for freebies as you say, it’s looking for a refund for the cancelled season just like the day pass customers received. You sound like you work for sun peaks.
Hahahaha yes as a person who lives in Portland, OR I definitely travel all the way to Sun Peaks in another country to work. But perhaps you are part of the minority who rides a ton in May, which would suck for you, but it is extremely low usage for the resort. If you do get most of your riding in at the end of the season for some reason I'm sure the resort can track your days used, if it's low email them and show you lost more value than the 10% off and no increase in next years pass and see what they say. Many other resorts are doing extended discounts for people who didn't get to utilize their pass. However for season pass holders as a whole, losing out on the last week of march and week maybe two of riding in May, a VAST majority of them liost out on less than 10% of their total days riding.

Is it on the low end, absolutely, They sure aren't going for brownie points. But when the days you lost are really only a little more than what you would have in a bad snow season.... I don't know how much more you can reasonably demand. What would have made you happy that would also be fair to the amount of business they lost?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Day pass holders definitely drop off after the long weekend they closed, but I don’t see why season pass holders would. I’ve not got statistics obviously though. But regardless, why treat season pass holders like crap and give refunds to tourists? I mean it’s obvious why which is why as a season pass holder it pisses me off. The only people to lose out that had skin in the game when they shut the doors after the busy period is season pass holders and seasonal workers, both of which they gave the middle finger to multiple times during this. If they did like the other resorts in the area cool but they offered half the discount and made no guarantee of days for next season like all the others in the area did so we buy a pass they can shaft us straight up and they have shown they will. They made minimal effort so whilst season pass holders need to suck it up as it’s our local so theirs no choice, I hope tourists give them the middle finger back.

(I didn’t think you worked for them, it just sounded like the exact kind of thing they have been saying since it all happened)

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Day pass holders definitely drop off after the long weekend they closed, but I don’t see why season pass holders would. I’ve not got statistics obviously though. But regardless, why treat season pass holders like crap and give refunds to tourists? I mean it’s obvious why which is why as a season pass holder it pisses me off. The only people to lose out that had skin in the game when they shut the doors after the busy period is season pass holders and seasonal workers, both of which they gave the middle finger to multiple times during this. If they did like the other resorts in the area cool but they offered half the discount and made no guarantee of days for next season like all the others in the area did so we buy a pass they can shaft us straight up and they have shown they will. They made minimal effort so whilst season pass holders need to suck it up as it’s our local so theirs no choice, I hope tourists give them the middle finger back.

(I didn’t think you worked for them, it just sounded like the exact kind of thing they have been saying since it all happened)
Oh even season pass holder visits drop off EXTREMELY that late in the season. I've been in the industry for 13 years, grated not at a resort in like 8, but ya late season riding is only season pass holders, but only a tiny fraction of the overall season pass holders still.

The no guaranteed days may seem like something but the resorts offering that, well it's largely a publicity stunt, but Sun tried doing the free refunds through September as their equivalent. And sure other resorts are offering more of a discount but raising prices. You referenced Big White earlier with their $90 savings, you're getting $100... so I guess I'm just confused why you think Sun Peaks is so much worse.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It’s a cheaper pass at big white.

publicity stunt or not is irrelevant for the consumer that has their money involved if it still gives some reassurance of not getting screwed completely. The whole thing is about publicity for all resorts or they wouldn’t be giving anything back at all so I’m not sure why you picked one part of it to be the publicity stunt. Companies don’t do stuff because they are nice.

Basically your view point is the season pass holder should be responsible for the risk the business has taken on by operating. Few businesses around the world have had the advantage of being able to have the money for future use like the ski resorts did for that month of prepaid fees. They had that advantage and ran with it which makes them scummy as IMO. I’m not going to congratulate them for finding a way to be trashy when basically every other business, even airlines and hotels, have done pretty well by customers.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
It’s a cheaper pass at big white.

publicity stunt or not is irrelevant for the consumer that has their money involved if it still gives some reassurance of not getting screwed completely. The whole thing is about publicity for all resorts or they wouldn’t be giving anything back at all so I’m not sure why you picked one part of it to be the publicity stunt. Companies don’t do stuff because they are nice.

Basically your view point is the season pass holder should be responsible for the risk the business has taken on by operating. Few businesses around the world have had the advantage of being able to have the money for future use like the ski resorts did for that month of prepaid fees. They had that advantage and ran with it which makes them scummy as IMO. I’m not going to congratulate them for finding a way to be trashy when basically every other business, even airlines and hotels, have done pretty well by customers.
Nah I dont think the consumer should be at risk, and I think you largely underestimate how much ski resorts make and dont make at different times. But yes passes are different costs but by percentage, it's basically the same, and dollar value is more. AKA dollar wise there is almost no difference in the discounts but you save more overall money.

As for guarantees, you're missing the value of the publicity stunt. Take Big White, their guarantee is literally for 100 days. 100 days is the same number of days they were open during the shortened season you're wanting a bigger refund on. Basically all it is is a guarantee you get the same days as what you complained about getting last year only now they owe you nothing... Now take Sun Peaks, if the season starts and has to end a month early again, Big White goes well we met our promise you get nothing where as Sun Peaks would be obligated to make it up for you. And should it end in say January (It won't, COVID isn't going to randomly hit at some mid winter level everything closes) Big White is going to refund SOME of your money IF AND ONLY IF you rode less than 7 days. You could have ridden 80 days at Sun Peak and they're still going to offer something for closing super early. You almost ABSOLUTELY want Sun Peaks pass vs Big Whites guaranteed 7 days of skiing....

I get you seem to have some grudge for the resort, but you seem to be letting some other issues really cloud the logical thinking about this. If someone offered me a pass with only 7 guaranteed days of on slope riding and after that nothing no matter what, I'd tell that resort to take a hike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You say the consumer shouldn't be at risk but you're the one arguing against that point this whole time.

Why would sun peaks be obligated to make it up to me when they weren't last season? That makes zero sense.

It's not so much a grudge as just not being the kind of person that sucks off corporations swallowing everything they spit out as if they are doing it for me. They aren't your friend dude.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You say the consumer shouldn't be at risk but you're the one arguing against that point this whole time.

Why would sun peaks be obligated to make it up to me when they weren't last season? That makes zero sense.

It's not so much a grudge as just not being the kind of person that sucks off corporations swallowing everything they spit out as if they are doing it for me. They aren't your friend dude.
You don't think non raised rates and 10% off is something? You really think if they never opened or closed in January you'd get nothing?????? Come on man be logical for two seconds your resort bias is really showing. Mean time if you go to Big White and ride 7 days in November and they close before December 1st they met their obligations.

·
Registered
78 Posts
When did I say it was not something?

No but your whole point about sun peaks vs big white was sun peaks' obligation. There is no obligation/guarantee. You're just responding to points I never made or trying to change my points in your head so that you can make the one you want back so I'm done here.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I'm pretty unthrilled with what my local area in Mass, Butternut is doing. Basically if you never pick up your pass they'll roll it into next year. If you have it sent to you pre season you have to return it by Dec 1st in order to roll it over. This is likely the first time in 5 years I won't be getting a pass. No other sort of refund will be offered if they are forced to call the season any time after Dec 1, which is odd considering they usually dont open until at least 2nd week in Dec.

·
Registered
69 Posts
@f00bar , Thanks for your comments about Butternut. I live in the opposite end of Mass., and my small local hill probably won't announce their season pass and lift ticket prices for next winter until early fall, as is their custom. I am going to be looking at their prices and policies carefully to see if it would be more worth my while to buy a season pass, or to just buy a lift ticket there each time I visit there. I'm also wondering if our Mass. areas may require reservations (as Timberline and A-Basin out West did in late spring), &/ or limit lift ticket sales (as Wachusett already does) to limit crowds.

·
Registered
335 Posts
@f00bar , Thanks for your comments about Butternut. I live in the opposite end of Mass., and my small local hill probably won't announce their season pass and lift ticket prices for next winter until early fall, as is their custom. I am going to be looking at their prices and policies carefully to see if it would be more worth my while to buy a season pass, or to just buy a lift ticket there each time I visit there. I'm also wondering if our Mass. areas may require reservations (as Timberline and A-Basin out West did in late spring), &/ or limit lift ticket sales (as Wachusett already does) to limit crowds.
Not directly applicable to your situation, but more for context, so as to perhaps give you some insight: ALL Australian resorts currently have in place:
  • Limited 1 day lift ticket sales, for each day
  • Limited resort entry car permits per day (in Aus, you have to not only buy lift tickets, but pay to access the resort in your car to begin with)
  • Reservations system for lift season pass holders - number of spots is capped, for each day <-- not affected by single day lift ticket sales
To help paint a picture: here in Aus, it's currently school holidays (which always coincides with the early part of the snow season), and:
  • planning re: accommodation, park entry, and lift tickets, are all required to be able to ski down-under
  • unfortunately, the very LAST of the above, to be made accessible to the public, has been lift ticket sales / season lift ticket reservations
  • there are MANY people here, who have 1) booked annual leave >> 2) booked accommodation (e.g. in Jindabyne, near Perisher, competition can be fierce, and even staying 1/2hr away from Perisher itself, can see nightly motel room prices of $700+) >> 3) purchased resort access/entry tickets >> 4) most of this is non-refundable >> 5) attempt to book their lift tickets/reserve days online, only to find that they've all been sold out / caps have been reached.
I posted the following idea in another thread, but you might not have seen that: So, you've got a family of 4 who have taken time off work, booked a week's worth of accommodation (e.g. $4-5k), booked park entry passes ($300), etc etc... and they might be able to reserve ONE OR TWO days on the actual snow, if they're lucky.

It's a shitty situation, but hope that is food for thought for you - be prepared for reservations systems, capping, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
20/21 Season Pass, To buy or not to buy that is the question.

Instead of decreasing and going away the Covid figures are growing in many states. Luckily for us mostly in southern states I think.

I will buy the upcoming seasons iKon but not sure I'll be glad I did. My season will end due to work in February.

I can buy the base pass for $599 ($100 discount from last season). So I figure break even is pretty easy to attain. Hopefully.

The details of the Assured Advantage Guarantee (or whatever it's called) is fairly convoluted. The guy on the phone advised me to pick the single resort option (I don't use multiple resorts).

But without the guarantee I for sure wouldn't be buying.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Epic 20% discount good until Labor Day. I’ll be making a decision then. But honestly I can’t foresee NOT getting a pass unless the country goes shit.....wear your masks southerners.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts