Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Im really stuck here - mainly because I have been watching waaayyyy to many reviews of boards and have a little analysis paralysis as I decide how to build out the quiver. How does everyone here do it?

1) Buy a new board each year to keep it interesting - keep the ones I like and sell the ones I don't?

2) Carefully decide what the quiver will consist of (carver, party board, free ride, all-mtn etc) and slowly add decks?

3) Another option?
I went with option 3 other. Have my powderjet one board quiver. Makes deciding which one to ride really simple.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only thing that really has ever mattered to me is riding powder, so ended up with a quiver of pow boards. To make matters worst I always just want to ride the newest board. The solution for me was to buy 2 boards at once that complimented each other. Of course they are both powder boards (LOL) but at least one of them more focused on carving. I may not understand the quiver concept.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The only thing that really has ever mattered to me is riding powder, so ended up with a quiver of pow boards. To make matters worst I always just want to ride the newest board. The solution for me was to buy 2 boards at once that complimented each other. Of course they are both powder boards (LOL) but at least one of them more focused on carving. I may not understand the quiver concept.
Man I can relate so much to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one! 😂

·
Registered
109 Posts
Did you get a custom one? Had never heard of them prior to this post.

ETA: Never mind, looks like you must have made one? Cool!
I did build your own over a weekend. Jesse took all my requirements for the basic shape and I got to choose the nose and tail shape. Went with a big rocker shovel nose that basically does nothing until there is powder then it gives all kinds of float. A common desigh in skis but not much on boards. Jesse nailed the shape perfectly. After the first 2 turns it felt like I had been riding it for years.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you are fortunate enough to always have powder and that's what you enjoy riding. I don't think a lot of people actually need quivers. It's more if you go a lot and you have different riding styles OR you have conditions that vary a lot (like lots of icy/crap that wants a long stiff board but you don't want to be on it when the snow is good and you want something smaller and more playful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are fortunate enough to always have powder and that's what you enjoy riding. I don't think a lot of people actually need quivers.
Not matter of needing a quiver more like I want more boards so I'm going to end up having a quiver.

Some years I can can pretty much just ride powder, some form of fresh snow or spring corn. Last couple years have been lacking, so I've been trying to get hyped on groomers again. Getting a new board for specific condition gets me stoked to go out more often.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not matter of needing a quiver more like I want more boards so I'm going to end up having a quiver.

Some years I can can pretty much just ride powder, some form of fresh snow or spring corn. Last couple years have been lacking, so I've been trying to get hyped on groomers again. Getting a new board for specific condition gets me stoked to go out more often.
You should consider working off the groomers some when theres' no pow. There's a lot of fun to be had in the crud. Edge running, death cookies, chopped up lips, wind slab, etc,etc. are always there for the asking. A good carving turn will carry you through all this stuff just fine. I like when terrain dictates the turn. Keeps you honest.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
You should consider working off the groomers some when theres' no pow. There's a lot of fun to be had in the crud. Edge running, death cookies, chopped up lips, wind slab, etc,etc. are always there for the asking. A good carving turn will carry you through all this stuff just fine. I like when terrain dictates the turn. Keeps you honest.
Yeah agree there is more than just pow and groomers to consider. Love getting some stiff smooth wind buff and finding natural terrain features.

To tie back into OP, a short wide powder board and a longer narrower carver for dealing with the dense stuff is a great 2 board quiver and really all I need to ride anything.

Note: If there was snow on the ground I could go enjoy the boards I have instead of thinking what to get next!

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
For OP, I'd find a daily driver, which is gonna be different for everybody depending on riding style and where you ride. Then find boards on sale or used to fill in what you miss.

I own lots of boards from buying and selling while looking for the daily driver, but I ride that board 90% of the time and bring other boards on pow days. There's something to be said for riding the same board all the time and really learning it.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts