Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum. I live in The Netherlands and I have about 5 years of snowboarding experience in Austria. Next year, I will go to Austria for a week with my parents who are experienced skiers and with my girlfriend who has never done any kind of snowboarding before. My parents will take their own route and my girlfriend and I will go our own route so I can teach her the basics of snowboarding with the goal that she will be able to go down a red piste with some nice curves at the end of the week.

I will be staying in a hotel room with her so after the snowboarding day I have time to explain things she may have done wrong.

Are there any specific things I should tell her or watch out for? Do you guys have any tips on how to teach her?

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Here is the most valuable piece of advice that has been said on here many times before: If you want to stay in a relationship, don't teach her yourself. Buy her a lesson from a qualified instructor. Your sanity and sex life will thank you later.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Two of my oldest school friends came on their first trip this Jan. They had a private lesson every other morning and practiced in the afternoons. Towards the end of the week I took them to the top of the mountain - we had a great (if slow) day. No real coaching from me other than 'get your weight over your front foot more, no more... a bit more, thats it'. It worked and they're both booked up for next season. Whatever you do don't push her - the key is to make sure a newb has fun. You might want to look at group lessons, progress might be slower but she'll have more fun and it really helps to have others of similar ability around.

My first snowboard trip was almost my last. I picked up the basics in a couple of hours so my mates decided to take me places I had no business going. One twisted ankle and bruised ego later and I was ready to pack it in. Ever since I've made sure not to make beginners feel out of their depth (intermediates who overestimate their abilities are fair game and get taught a lesson!)

I don't know how far away from a snow dome you are but a couple of lessons in one has really helped beginners in the past - if only to get them used to the equipment and getting the very basics down so no time is wasted on the actual mountain.

Edit: If you take her to Landgraaf she could even get acquainted with chairlifts before going to Austria.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is the most valuable piece of advice that has been said on here many times before: If you want to stay in a relationship, don't teach her yourself. Buy her a lesson from a qualified instructor. Your sanity and sex life will thank you later.
This dude is 150% correct. I tried teaching my girlfriend and it was horrible. First off teaching is not easy, I even prepared for the session and figured out what moves we'd do in which order but eheh to no avail. Second the teaching dynamics are just bad, I guarantee she will listen better to a paid instructor with less frustration. My girlfriend picked up nothing and finally slammed hurting her tailbone. Good vibes? check. Sex in the resort hotel? check. No persistent fear on the slopes? check. Decent skill progression? check. OKok after a year she was able to forget the slam and after two paid lessons it all went smoothly. Don't do it man! :)

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Hello everybody,

I will be staying in a hotel room with her so after the snowboarding day I have time to explain things she may have done wrong.

Are there any specific things I should tell her or watch out for? Do you guys have any tips on how to teach her?
If you want to continue to be able to stay with her in the room, I would encourage you not to Explain things she may have done wrong
Let a qualified instructer do that..... otherwise, you will soon find that you will be purchasing another room, or staying with your parents
:dizzy::dizzy:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,380 Posts
What he said.
The question has popped up several times, the answer stays the same. Don't do it if you want to keep a good relationship. Maybe if she's a super nice super calm super subordinant never frustrated always sunny person, you maybe won't end up quarreling, but then there's still the question, if you actually can teach. Knowing to snowboard doesn't mean you can teach. You need a good knowledge on the dynamics and have the eye to see mistakes and the ability to translate this verbally.
BTW: also counts the other way around, not only for girls. I've sent my SO to a friend to get horseriding lessons tho I give lessons myself to other ppl.

·
Registered
718 Posts
tried to teach my gf to snowboard last season, everything was ok except snowboarding :D Wasn't pushy, didn't raise voice, was calm and polite, so she still sucks a lot at snowboarding, she still doesn't know how to initiate a toe side turn, maybe next season :D

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,440 Posts
I couldn't help wondering,.. In the 3+ years I've been a member here. "How many times has this question come up?" Well,..! I Googled it! Using Snowboardingforum.com specific search terms. Here is the answer to MY question! TEACH THE GF LINKS

...With any luck, it may prove to be the answer to the OP's!!!

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Wow, I knew this question was asked a lot even since I've been on the forum. Chomps -- that google search results you posted is very enlightening!

I'd say the simplest and safest approach is to encourage them to train in the off-season with you. Stretching, balance exercises, core strength and cardio -- goes a long way in making their first time on a snowboard more enjoyable. I'd also say that getting them familiar with the gear before they ever set foot on a mountain helps a ton too. It helps you focus on learning how to link turns on your first day, rather than wasting time trying to figure out how to strap into your bindings. Lastly, have them watch a few youtube videos on getting on and off the lift. This is probably the biggest mental hurdle most people have to get over when they first start out -- looks a lot more difficult than it really is and watching videos on how to do it ahead of time builds up confidence.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I say go for it as long as you give us a date and where you'll be so we can swoop in and console her when you storm off frustrated and she's crying on the slopes.... :)

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,440 Posts
I say go for it as long as you give us a date and where you'll be so we can swoop in and console her when you storm off frustrated and she's crying on the slopes.... :)
To The OP! Lest you think he's kidding? You really need to read this page from a past post on the forum,…

"The Swoop!"

…and then double check my forum label up there in my Avatar! :D :eusa_clap:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, never thought it would be this difficult :laugh:
Good thing I am patient and am willing to put a lot of effort in it!

But if I would teach her myself, what would be the best way to do it? Where should I start?

·
Registered
3,959 Posts

But if I would teach her myself, what would be the best way to do it? Where should I start?
Promise her a ring if she meets your expectations? :giggle:

·
Registered
816 Posts

If you teach her yourself there is a 5000 times greater chance she'll not pick up snowboarding in the long term because she found it harder to get to that 'sticking point' where she can actually make turns and ride runs properly.

There's also a 5000 times greater chance you'll give her horrible bad habits that will make her a worse snowboarder for the long run if she does continue and actually pick up the sport.

On top of these things, I'm a qualified snowboard instructor and even I don't teach my own GF snowboarding because of reasons others have already mentioned.

That said, if you absolutely want to pick the stupid option of teaching her yourself, there are videos linked at the top of this forum here which run you through the beginner steps of snowboarding and turning: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/tips-tricks-snowboard-coaching/132250-beginner-snowboard-video-lessons.html

Good luck, and I really hope you don't choose to teach her yourself and instead decide to invest in a good instructor.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Imagine trying to learn calculus, and your teacher is going to stay with you so when you get home at night they can tell you all the things you're doing wrong...

Get an instructor, go have your own fun.

I've said it in all the other threads but I'll say it again here:

My wife started boarding 5 years ago. Took a beginner lesson after it didn't go so well with me trying to teach her.

Then she would spend about 5 days working on her technique, and then take another lesson. She was always riding alone when working on her technique (she said riding with me made her nervous).

After a few cycles of lesson, practice, lesson, practice, she started doing a couple laps a day with me. Usually mid-day once she was warmed up, but before she got too tired. We'd go down some medium difficulty stuff and I'd push her a bit on speed and style.

Fast forward and she has continued the cycle of lessons every 20 days or so on the snow, and she is now a GOOD snowboarder. She will go places that many men I board with won't do. When some people are wide eyed at 35 degree tree runs, she's giggling with joy...

And we're still married! :laugh:

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,440 Posts
….Good thing I am patient and am willing to put a lot of effort in it!

Did you even bother to click on the links I provided?? :blink: After that last, I'm certain you didn't read them!

Good Luck Brah!!!! :thumbsup:

ps; Is your gf Hot?! ….and where exactly is it again that you ride? ;)

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Truthfully this is the red flag here. You're already setting time aside for you to further instruct her on what she's doing wrong. Now maybe she is a total sub and that and some hot wax and a whip may get her going at night. :dunno: If not after a long day of falling and sore muscles it's going to be the last thing she'll probably want to hear.

My wife teaches dog agility, she was an instructor, my border collie/cattle dog was a puppy. She used to give group lessons in our back yard. I did it about 3 times before I decided I'll just make sure the grass is mowed before lessons. She's now my ex, BTW.

·
Registered
544 Posts
(she said riding with me made her nervous).
This

Imagine trying to learn something difficult while having someone you like / want to impress (who is good at it) watching you and judging you

Just go for the lesson

Plus it will give you time to go out and hit some better terrain. Who wants to spend their entire holiday waiting on the bunny hill?

·
Registered
778 Posts

Don't start. The snow dome idea isn't bad at all. Get her some lessons there. You never know, you might be dating a skier.

Not to mention, while she is learning you can go off on your own and have fun. After her lesson you can meet up and help her practice what her instructor taught her. Winning!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts