Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so for the 2013/2014 season I bought a Burton Custom Flying V 2013 paired up with Burton Custom Restricted Re:Flex bindings.

However some friends have said the customs may be too soft a binding for my riding style?

I ride 85 percent of the time at a small local resort doing buttering, 180s off side hits, hitting boxes, and doing various grabs and backside 360s off small to large jumps. The other 15 percent I ride in the mountains mainly nuking it down groomers and doing 180s and 360s of side hits. Last season I did all this type of riding on union forces but found they were rather stiff so I bought these customs wanting something a bit softer and playful. Was it a good choice?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
Ok so for the 2013/2014 season I bought a Burton Custom Flying V 2013 paired up with Burton Custom Restricted Re:Flex bindings.

However some friends have said the customs may be too soft a binding for my riding style?

I ride 85 percent of the time at a small local resort doing buttering, 180s off side hits, hitting boxes, and doing various grabs and backside 360s off small to large jumps. The other 15 percent I ride in the mountains mainly nuking it down groomers and doing 180s and 360s of side hits. Last season I did all this type of riding on union forces but found they were rather stiff so I bought these customs wanting something a bit softer and playful. Was it a good choice?
Customs are perfectly suitable and capable bindings - reportedly Shaun White (think of him what you want) uses them for some of his riding. They are not lacking so much in performance but more in the areas of adjustability and potentially comfort (lack of padding on ankle strap and cushioning on base plate). However, if they fit your boots well and you find them comfortable, then you should be just fine riding them.

BTW, there was a dude with an almost identical question here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually contacted burton and they said much the same....the customs will work but they recommend something a bit stiffer such as cartels or malavitas.....i am leaning towards the cartels but my only concern is will these feel too stiff?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,966 Posts
I actually contacted burton and they said much the same....the customs will work but they recommend something a bit stiffer such as cartels or malavitas.....i am leaning towards the cartels but my only concern is will these feel too stiff?
Go with the Missions then, as SGboarder suggested - just a touch softer/more forgiving than the Cartels. You also might prefer the highback on those.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
Cartels, Missions, Malavitas...any of those will work for you.

Also, for what you're riding, that sounds fine. I like flexy bindings for flatland stuff and presses so, if you like your customs, keep em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok sounds good guys. This is a bit off topic but what boot would you guys recommend for my setup? I was thinking Burton Hails?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
That's preference as far as flex goes. If you don't know, try middle of the road flex. Don't be married to a brand, try on as many boots as you can to see which ones fit your feet. I tried REALLY hard not to buy Nike Boots, but they fit my feet best.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top