Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at either picking up a huck knife or an afterblack for some park riding this season. What are your thoughts on the boards, how do they compare and contrast

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Don't know about either board, but I know @Phedder really liked his Huck Knife (and having ridden with him I can tell you his opinion should matter to you). There is a fair amount of discussion on here about it if you search.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Bump

If I'm missing any key info please just ask
Just missing that the Afterblack is a new board, hardly anyone has ridden it.

Have ridden a Huck, know about the K2 and would trust pretty blindly myself that it's good. Huck is more or less traditional camber with a slightly below middle flex. Afterblack is camber with a little rocket release in the tips, true middle of the road all mountain freestyle. What suits your needs better?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just missing that the Afterblack is a new board, hardly anyone has ridden it.

Have ridden a Huck, know about the K2 and would trust pretty blindly myself that it's good. Huck is more or less traditional camber with a slightly below middle flex. Afterblack is camber with a little rocket release in the tips, true middle of the road all mountain freestyle. What suits your needs better?
I knew it was new this season, but I didn't realize just how recently it came out. I'm looking for a jump board that can play around on side hits and jibs. No pow or pipe on this board. I think the Huck Knife would fit my needs slightly better but it seems like I'd be fine either way.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know about either board, but I know @Phedder really liked his Huck Knife (and having ridden with him I can tell you his opinion should matter to you). There is a fair amount of discussion on here about it if you search.
Yeah I've seen lots of great things said about the huck, but the afterblack looks similar and equally promising. I guess I didn't realize just how new it was and how few people had rode it yet. I'll keep looking for more reviews on the afterblack even if they aren't a direct comparison. Thanks!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I own a 55 huck knife and its a pretty fantastic deck. easy to toss around. still quite stable so no worries riding groomers. plenty of pop from the camber yet soft enough to easily press. Cant give you a comparison to the K2 but I dont think you can go wrong with the knife.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Thanks for the kind words :grin:

Nivek and Kriegs pretty much covered it. Slightly below mid flex camber deck, the tiny bit of rocker at the tips make it easier to press but it stays surprisingly stable charging around through variable terrain, more so than the flex would indicate. Pretty solid edge hold and great pop. A simple but well designed board, and the price is very good. Actually my profile pic here was on the Huck Knife hah.

Afterblack just from checking the specs looks like it won't have as much edge hold due to the shorter EE, probably butter a bit smoother with that tip shape and have more float. I'd say Afterblack potentially has more all mountain versatility as long as you don't get a tonne of ice, whereas Huck Knife is more park focused but fully capable anywhere on the mountain as well.

At a guess I'd say I put 50 days on my Huck Knife and then sold it to a friend who's probably put 50 more on it by now, I know he still loves it too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks for the kind words 😁

Nivek and Kriegs pretty much covered it. Slightly below mid flex camber deck, the tiny bit of rocker at the tips make it easier to press but it stays surprisingly stable charging around through variable terrain, more so than the flex would indicate. Pretty solid edge hold and great pop. A simple but well designed board, and the price is very good. Actually my profile pic here was on the Huck Knife hah.

Afterblack just from checking the specs looks like it won't have as much edge hold due to the shorter EE, probably butter a bit smoother with that tip shape and have more float. I'd say Afterblack potentially has more all mountain versatility as long as you don't get a tonne of ice, whereas Huck Knife is more park focused but fully capable anywhere on the mountain as well.

At a guess I'd say I put 50 days on my Huck Knife and then sold it to a friend who's probably put 50 more on it by now, I know he still loves it too.
I’ll bump this instead of making a new thread. Have a Bataleon Boss 159 for daily driver. 50% groomers 50% park,all mountain freestyle do it all board. Looking for a deck that’s slightly more park, slightly softer, but still can charge . I’m 6’0, 215, size 10.5-11 boots( I have both). Would you reccomend the 155W or 158?

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I’ll bump this instead of making a new thread. Have a Bataleon Boss 159 for daily driver. 50% groomers 50% park,all mountain freestyle do it all board. Looking for a deck that’s slightly more park, slightly softer, but still can charge . I’m 6’0, 215, size 10.5-11 boots( I have both). Would you reccomend the 155W or 158?
I'll say this does slightly depend on where you ride. I really enjoyed the huck knife for the type of riding you're looking for and I was on the 158W at 200lb, size 9.5-10 boot. The next season I tried a 155W Villain which just ended up being too short and soft. Currently I'm on a 158 Niche Theme which fills the same purpose for me, feels a touch stiffer, snappier and lighter than the Huck but it's very much still a park board.

Unless your local riding is on the smaller side terrain wise, I'd go 158W. On mine I'd start feeling uncomfortable at high 70s low 80s km/h according to trace. My other boards I'll hit the 90s regularly and confidently in control.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'll say this does slightly depend on where you ride. I really enjoyed the huck knife for the type of riding you're looking for and I was on the 158W at 200lb, size 9.5-10 boot. The next season I tried a 155W Villain which just ended up being too short and soft. Currently I'm on a 158 Niche Theme which fills the same purpose for me, feels a touch stiffer, snappier and lighter than the Huck but it's very much still a park board.

Unless your local riding is on the smaller side terrain wise, I'd go 158W. On mine I'd start feeling uncomfortable at high 70s low 80s km/h according to trace. My other boards I'll hit the 90s regularly and confidently in control.
Thanks a lot, I’ve narrowed it down to the Huck knife, maybe the 2021Arbor relapse 155W, Bataleon Global Warmer 156W, and Last years Burton Kilroy 3d 158.
Cause I’m such a sucker I’ll prob end up with an asymulator or yes greats for a cool all mountain asym

1 - 12 of 12 Posts