Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a few extra coupons to Hunter for Friday March 1st. Let me know if you are interested. I thought more of my buddies were going but some couldn't make it. thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go but I have to work atleast a half day this Friday so it wouldn't be worth all the driving. I'm thinking about heading to the Poconos however if your plans change
Yeah man I should be in the Poconos next week some time. But if I don't go to Hunter Friday I will let you know. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Just had to be a friday, damn you full time job!!!!

Bless your souls for coming to the poconos. its been pure crap around here, unless you know somewere i dont :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had to be a friday, damn you full time job!!!!

Bless your souls for coming to the poconos. its been pure crap around here, unless you know somewere i dont :icon_scratch:
haha naa pure crap but I got a cheap season pass and I have a wife and two kids so I need to stay close to where I live. But I got to say much better conditions than last year, well I guess any winter will be better than last year. I have been going to Camelback and JFBB.

But I still have some coupons up for grabs. Just let me know people.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
haha naa pure crap but I got a cheap season pass and I have a wife and two kids so I need to stay close to where I live. But I got to say much better conditions than last year, well I guess any winter will be better than last year. I have been going to Camelback and JFBB.

But I still have some coupons up for grabs. Just let me know people.
Yea ive been doing blue mtn, sno and jfbb. Sno and jfbb are 20 mins from my house so thats nice since i can go up after work and have a decent amount of time to ride. I havent been to camelback in so long. Are weekends still crowded as all hell? Im hoping march brings a bit more snow....but so far it looks like a bust.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent been to camelback in so long. Are weekends still crowded as all hell? Im hoping march brings a bit more snow....but so far it looks like a bust.
I don't know about weekends, I am a morning weekday rider and the mountain is quiet. Never a line and sometimes have the hills to myself.

I hope the same (more snow) and I sadly I see the end of our season too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
this season i started really late, so didn't get a season pass when the season started.
i bought a season pass to hunter the $169 one, spring into april pass, hope mountain will be fine snow-wise till April, I am actually a bit nervous, cheap season passes could mean extremely crowded weekends :(

·
Registered
54 Posts
how is hunter weekends (sunday specifically) , too crowded? unfortunately thats the only day i can go ....
any of you tried gore mtn? i heard good things but never been ??

·
Registered
106 Posts
was at Hunter on 2/18

I was there on a Monday afternoon, for the holiday on 2/18. First time there so I can't compare it to any other visit, but I can say that while it was busy it was not overly crowded, as I could gauge from the bottom near the ski lift where I spent most of my time. The lines for the lift were not too long.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all I have a few extra coupons to Hunter for Friday March 1st. Let me know if you are interested. I thought more of my buddies were going but some couldn't make it. thanks
Oh I forgot to say the coupons are for 30 dollar lift tickets so it is a good savings. I am just giving them out and will save you about 30 bucks. So just give me a shout if anyone wants one. Just trying to share the wealth.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I give Hunter a lot of credit for taking care of their trails. They're always groomed in the morning and they're always making snow somewhere whenever possible. Compared to Windham where everything's scratched up and icy by noon and I really have to give them applause for this.

But I still hate them! My experience:

I had to screw my bindings into my board (long story), so I gave my friend cash to go ahead and buy the lift tickets. He comes back and I try to attach the ticket on my jacket, but the plastic tie wouldn't stick and eventually it broke. His broke too, so he went back to the cash register to get more. I continue setting up my board and he comes back and says, "you're going to have to go get it yourself. They're being very difficult about it."

So I'm thinking, "Hmm..." and I go into the guest services. I go to the lady and explain the situation: that I bought a lift ticket, the plastic tie broke, and I'd like a new one. She gave me this suspicious look and the following conversation ensued:

She: Where did you buy this?
Me: ...At the cash register? Just about 5 minutes ago?
She: Really? How much did you pay for it?
Me: Uh...crap. I...actually don't know. Whatever the window price is. $70 something? (I honestly didn't know since my friend bought it and I didn't count the change; it was probably my second time there this season)
She: ...You don't know how much you paid for your lift ticket?
Me: I actually don't...I usually pay by credit card, so you know, they swipe it, I sign it.
She: But you don't actually know the ticket prices?
Me (clearly agitated at this point): No, I actually make enough money now that I don't really need to pay attention to these things anymore.
She: So let me get this straight. You're coming in here with a lift ticket asking for a plastic tie. You're telling me that you bought it, today, this morning, but you don't know how much you paid for it?
Me (raising my voice): Listen, I can go out and pick up that SAME plastic tie that JUST broke and show it to you. Do you want me to do that? And I'm sure you can scan this ticket and see that I just bought it here, today, this morning.
She (scans the lift ticket; don't know why she didn't do this first?): Well, see, this here represents a security issue. Because a lot of people are reselling tickets outside. (Hands me a plastic tie) Don't lose it again.
Me: I didn't lose it. It broke. Thank you.

I was dumbfounded as I left the guest services. Having an unauthorized and unregistered guest in your office building is my idea of a security issue. I don't see how people reselling tickets (assuming Hunter has already received the money) constitutes anything like a security issue. :icon_scratch:

Anyway, this wasn't enough to turn me off from ever returning to the mountain (though I kind of have a disdain for it regardless), but it really left a nasty taste in my mouth. And on a powder day there too, no less.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My wife and I had an equaly shitty experience with the manager in the office a few weeks ago.

She had purchased a lift ticket through their website last season in March and wasn't able to go due to being sick. She called and asked if she could use the lift ticket *next* season. The person in the office claimed she could use it she would just have to pay a transfer fee of $2. No big deal right?

She kept all her paperwork and confirmation email. We went up there a few weeks ago to use the lift ticket she purchased last season. Wouldn't you know, they won't accept it due to it being purchased last season. The older woman claimed they have no way of verifying if the lift ticket was used last season and that who ever told her that information didn't know what they were talking about.

So, beware if you ever need to call Hunter customer service you may get some bad/uninformed info.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Security issue with people reselling tickets? LMAO!!!! That is hilarious. What do they care if I ride half the day and then someone else finishes the day on it?
Never been to Hunter. Never had any real desire to go. Have even less desire now

·
Registered
382 Posts
yea stupid, who cares if you sell, that means you'll be gone he/she gonna use it so what...
oh well classic east coast people...

i am gonna finish the season at hunter but next year still deciding where to get the season pass from

·
Registered
153 Posts
Its funny how Hunter goes through all that trouble for a plastic tie to counteract illegal ticket sellers, yet most of the time they don't even bother checking for lift tickets at the lift.

I personally love Hunter of out of all the NYC area mountains because Hunter West is never crowded.

·
Registered
382 Posts
What mountain is the most worth it for getting a season pass and closest to the NYC area?
dude hunter, windham, camelback, creek, all close to the city and there's a bus service to all of them, which is convenient to people that don't drive but downside is that they will be overcrowded, also they don't have the best conditions when it comes to snow/slopes etc.

Vermont mountains (Stowe/Stratton/Killington/Okemo) are tend to have better snow conditions and runs. Yes there are bus services to some of these mountains too but there's a 5 hour drive and people don't want to go to that far, so don't expect them to be as packed as to those that are close to NYC. Also some Vermont mountains has specials like one season pass is valid on other 2 mountains, which is a good thing to change scenery from time to time.

haven't made my mind yet but I am personally considering Killington for next year, I think it will be around $1800 or more

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hmm, thanks for that info. I guess I'm one of those people that don't like to drive too far from home. For me a 1 hour drive is far, though realistically I see that for snowboarding I would have to stretch that to two hours... seeing as how I don't live in the mountains.

There's no way I'd get a season pass to a mountain 4 to 6 hours away, because for me a 4 hour drive is something to be done once every six months, tops. A 6 hour drive once a year. I've driven to Florida (and back) twice in a short span of time and I think I've used up all my driving miles and patience for sitting in a car.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm one of those that uses the bus trips to Vermont. Sitting on a bus for 4.5 to 5 hours is not something I necessarily enjoy but the mountains out there are SOOOOOO much better than anything within 2hr range of NYC. We're talking about twice as high vertical drop than anything in PA and far better snow conditions than PA or Hunter. I just bring a pillow to fall asleep and deal with it

1 - 20 of 35 Posts