Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have only attempted them 3-4 times but i can't seem to figure them out. granted the ones i've ridden were fairly tight but i was unable to keep a steady pace. either too quick and then falling or too slow.

ugh. so frustrating. any advice?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes, very common problem is to analyze all the things that will fuck you up if you get moving too fast, resulting in being overly cautious and losing momentum.
Luckily, trees don't move so if you look ahead to the line you want to follow you will naturally follow it. Always keep looking ahead into the gaps and you will be able to pick up good momentum.
It also helps to follow a good rider as they will have the confidence to pick a line and get through with good speed. Force yourself to try and keep up, watching where they go

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
i like to loosen up with a couple five shots, get that plank up to speed and just hope for the best...

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
i have only attempted them 3-4 times but i can't seem to figure them out. granted the ones i've ridden were fairly tight but i was unable to keep a steady pace. either too quick and then falling or too slow.

ugh. so frustrating. any advice?
ride moguls more too, they will teach you line choice without the consequence of splating into a tree. when you have some comfort level of making nice smooth turns in moguls, do the same turning in trees.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
i have only attempted them 3-4 times but i can't seem to figure them out.
3-4 attempts is probably too soon to even start a thread about it. theres really not much to tell, something you just learn by doing a lot. all the glades are different, so, thank god, there is no paceing or formula to learn, it's not like running gates or some kind of controlled environment like the park. you will fall, you may hook a tree, or a tree may hook you, shit happens. it's still worth it, cuz here anyway, the deeper and darker you are willing to go, the greater the pow reward

·
Registered
63 Posts
Like others said.. When I first started riding trees the best advice I ever got was to look at my path, not the trees ;)

Just do it a lot and you'll slowly gain confidence.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
Secret Tree Training: Moguls.

All the skills you need to ride trees without the face smashing obstacles.

Mogul riding may not be fun or something you do on purpose, but finding yourself at the top of a mogul field and knowing you are going to crush it, is just like tree riding.

If you can't pull off a confident run (little pops, airs, no stopping, consistent speed, both toe and heelside turns) down a mogul field, probably best to stay out of the trees lest you become ornamental.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Like others have said. It's about being proactive and picking your path. I try to have 2-3 turns planned out ahead at all times. Not only makes riding trees much easier but you can make sure you hit the best powder pockets. The worst thing you can be in the trees is reactive.

And don't look at the trees! Just like driving, you tend to gravitate towards what you are looking at. Just keep them in your peripheral and work on getting more speed and confidence.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i feel like maybe the trees im in are super tight or something. ive seen glade runs where it appears much more spread out. however, the ones ive been in thus far (stratton, stowe) were super tight, quick, and not all that much powder.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
ya got yer glades, and you got yer woods,that sounds like woods...stowes got woods with bushes and thickets last time i was there..

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Stowe has some pretty dense glades last I remember. Just like regular trails you need to progress a bit. Okemo has some pretty sparse ones, as does Mt Snow. Assuming you are capable of making the turns glades are more mental and being able to pick your lines. It takes experience. Start with something more sparse.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Mogul riding may not be fun or something you do on purpose, but finding yourself at the top of a mogul field and knowing you are going to crush it, is just like tree riding.
This. I used to be one of those standing at the top of mogul fields, anxiously waiting until there weren't a lot of others and then super carefully sliding all the way down. But after enough training and gaining confidence you can just arrive there, smile, and go down on it like it's a freshly groomed flat area. And fly by the skiers and boarders which are still in an earlier stage of learning while doing so.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I ride much faster when there is pow up in the trees. A lot of time I ride trees it is sort of like moguls with trees mixed in. Trees are different everywhere though. Spent a couple days riding pretty much nothing but trees in the shady parts of Vail last week and it was awesome, but trees at Breck sort of sucked that week...I really only like the trees over there when there is more pow...the trees are generally a bit tighter up high there than the trees at Vail, but there are some down low that you can really rip through even when it is tracked out. Trees out in Utah are some of the best I've ridden in super deep pow, and Jackson Hole trees are pretty impressive also.

Unmarked tree runs on the east coast can be pretty tough since they are usually really tightly spaced, but typically not as steep as stuff I ride when I am out west. I also am not a fan of moguls unless they are big, soft, spread out and steep, but Definitely ride some double black moguls and get good at that...when the time comes to rip some tree pow, you will be shredding it up. Never really thought it about it that way, but moguls are definitely secret tree training and a good way to get your legs warmed up in the morning for tree riding. The board you ride can make a difference too...I do rip my big old 168 camber deck through the trees, but it is not for everybody.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah its all about the quality / quantity of snow

Definitely wait until there is fresh and / or softer snow to build up confidence in the trees. If its icy / hard-pack probably better to stick to groomers or use that time to practice moguls

·
Registered
164 Posts
side note: if learning to ride trees, wear an old pair of gloves and goggles, old coat if you got it. It can be a buzz kill to tear a huge hole in a new high end piece of gear getting too close to a tree.

·
Registered
467 Posts
side note: if learning to ride trees, wear an old pair of gloves and goggles, old coat if you got it. It can be a buzz kill to tear a huge hole in a new high end piece of gear getting too close to a tree.
Forgot to mention that. You definitely don't want to tear up your nice goretex shell. I would recommend wearing some kinco or similar style gloves if you are going to be spending time up in the trees, they give some nice hand protection for when you inadvertently smack one...especially when you end up smacking one that has some small branches broken off it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts