Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a forum member who graciously traded boards with me I got to try out a Bataleon Evil Twin last weekend.

I've ridden boards with "spoon" shaping and own a pow deck with a 3d spoon nose, but had never been on a 3BT board before. It was a pretty cold day and we had tracked out powder and hardpack groomers, although in some sunny parts the groomers had softened a bit.

I thought I'd either really not like 3BT at all or that it would take a few runs to grow on me, but neither was the case. I immediately felt at home on it and really, really liked the feel. It's definitely different than full camber - I didn't have that immediate, precise response that I expect - but of all of the techs I've tried that make a board more forgiving this 3BT and Arbor's uprise fenders are my favorite. They also have a similar feel to me when carving up groomers.

I expected washiness but there wasn't any, and I was definitely overweight for this board's length. Even had some hard/icy patches that I thought were gonna be way more sketchy than they were.

I'm impressed. I'd recommend checking 3BT out if you're skeptical.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I was surprised how much I liked it right away as well. If I ever get a buttering board, it'll probably have 3BT. I want to try a Camel 2 as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks to a forum member who graciously traded boards with me I got to try out a Bataleon Evil Twin last weekend.

I've ridden boards with "spoon" shaping and own a pow deck with a 3d spoon nose, but had never been on a 3BT board before. It was a pretty cold day and we had tracked out powder and hardpack groomers, although in some sunny parts the groomers had softened a bit.

I thought I'd either really not like 3BT at all or that it would take a few runs to grow on me, but neither was the case. I immediately felt at home on it and really, really liked the feel. It's definitely different than full camber - I didn't have that immediate, precise response that I expect - but of all of the techs I've tried that make a board more forgiving this 3BT and Arbor's uprise fenders are my favorite. They also have a similar feel to me when carving up groomers.

I expected washiness but there wasn't any, and I was definitely overweight for this board's length. Even had some hard/icy patches that I thought were gonna be way more sketchy than they were.

Thank you for the write up! mind sharing what other 3d noses you ride? I really want to try one and had been considering a WoW or jones but 3bt is way up the list as well

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
How does a 3BT camber board work? Is there any hold up before the edges engage? Like... does it feel like you're riding on a hull and have a bit of 'play' before it engages that's more noticeable than lifted contact points or such?

·
Registered
111 Posts

Got my buddy on a bataleon stallion. He's a big guy and he absolutely loves the 3bt. He started buttering and hasn't stopped since. Great pick

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the write up! mind sharing what other 3d noses you ride? I really want to try one and had been considering a WoW or jones but 3bt is way up the list as well
I've demo'd the Jones Flagship with the 3d shaping, and I own a Rome Stalefish with a 3d rockered nose.

The impression I have is that rocker contributes much more to a loose feeling than lifted contact points do. The 3d shaping has a very specific feel to it.

How does a 3BT camber board work? Is there any hold up before the edges engage? Like... does it feel like you're riding on a hull and have a bit of 'play' before it engages that's more noticeable than lifted contact points or such?
My impression - I rode this back to back with my full camber daily driver. The full camber engages at the tip and tail immediately with very little rider input. Like, lift your toe or heel slightly and off you go; crossunder carves and short quick turns are lightning fast especially on a normal width board.

With the 3d shaping you obviously have to lean a bit further to get the edges to engage and it feels slightly slower to react. BUT, the other factor here is width - if you have a particularly wide board it's going to resist the input from your feet a bit more - the 3d shaping seems to really smooth that out. The nose on my Stalefish is really wide and might feel cumbersome especially at lower speeds without that 3d shaping. The K2 Overboard had that problem where at slow speeds it took a bit of extra effort to get that nose to engage because it was so wide and just wanted to stay flat. At higher speeds it was great though.

Overall I'd say the 3d shaping is a really good compromise to make if you want a board to not feel catchy but still want the benefits of camber, or if you're riding a board that would feel difficult to turn due to its width.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up my traditional camber boards for 3BT but if you told me I couldn't have traditional camber anymore 3BT would be a top choice for me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
How’d it skate?

I rode an Arbor Crosscut with uprise fenders last month. First non-Japanese snow surf type deck I’ve ridden with 3D base shaking. Also enjoyed it. The only time I sensed any washiness was skating, similar to center rocker decks.

Maybe a hair slower in turn initiation than full camber, but no more so than have early rise nose. Curious how it would ride in pow with theoretically superior planing like a boat hull.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts