Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed out to the local skill hill yesterday with my buddy (who snowblades).

Decided to head down this one curvy run that I'd tried the week before. There's this one corner where they've built a nice bank to make the turn easier.

Well, being a noob and still working on my control I rode the bank a little to agressivly, high, and long... at the end of the bank there was a tree. My board very eloquently slid straight up the tree, then sideways to wedge itself between the first and a second tree.

Didn't hurt at all... got off lucky... but man it was hilarious. I couldn't believe it. After regrouping my self from laughing so hard I managed to wiggle my way free... my buddy was pissed cause he didn't get his camera out in time to snap a pic... so sorry guys... no pic :(

Stopped my next time down the run to collect and throw the broken branches off to the side out of people's way.

What are your tree stories?

·
Registered
729 Posts
This one time I bonked a tree... and this other time.. some kid came out of the tree line into the terrain park and forced me to eat a slushy... that's about it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
You hit your first tree? Well, I hit my first three over a real jump today.

P.S. I got stuck half under a chainlink fence once.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well a couple years ago I was playing around near the edge of a run. I hit an ice patch and my board slide out from under me. I hit the ground at a pretty good rate of speed and smashed my knee against a pretty good size tree. It hurt so bad, I'm not sure if i tore anything but I couldn't snowboard for the rest of the season. It took about a year for the pain to go away. Every time I walked long distances the pain came back and only recently did it go away.

·
Registered
826 Posts
good for you! now go hit another tree.. it builds character. :D

kidding aside, good thing you didnt get seriously hurt.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've hit hundreds of trees. haha. never enough to be seriously hurt tho. I spent entire days bushwackin sometimes.

and did you say your buddy snowblades? snowblades still exist? didn't know people still did that. thought it went the way of the step in binding

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
It involves no help. Which was pretty annoying. So I go to Chestnut Mountian in northern IL for the first day of the 09/10 season with a friend. I had only been on a board three times before. I'm struggling to keep up with my friend and get stuck on one of my edges heading strait towards and out of bounds chainlink fence. I bail onto my ass but keep sliding and then sink into some of the 10" of real snow that had fallen earlier in the week. Then I find my legs stuck under the fence with soft snow all around me. People saw me but no body offered help.

·
Registered
276 Posts
came close to hitting a tree last weekend at killington. i was able to stop toeside before it happened though. in the process, i banged my knee hard on some ice and was down for a good 5 minutes. shit hurt so bad!! the bruise is pretty gnarly. glad you didn't get hurt though!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
^rofl.

I remember doing a tree run with some friends when they all ended up crashing into each other. I went around and found myself heading through some bushes so I sped up to make it through. Well, after getting through all I saw was a line of trees blocking my way with no way out. I went heelside hard to try and stop, ending up hitting the tree perpendicular with the toeside of my board slamminng my face into the tree. :laugh: I had my hand up to block but it just pushed it right out of the way. I wanted to pass out and was waiting for the stars and birds to start floating around my head but didn't see them. It did quiet for a second kinda like going underwater lol. Ended up with 6 stitches under my right eye.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never hit a tree, but I've hit a building and barely hit a ski lift pole that only had a plastic fence, don't recall any foam on it like you usually see.

·
Registered
71 Posts
came close to hitting a tree last weekend at killington. i was able to stop toeside before it happened though. in the process, i banged my knee hard on some ice and was down for a good 5 minutes. shit hurt so bad!! the bruise is pretty gnarly. glad you didn't get hurt though!
Had a moment like this earlier this season carrying too much speed through a tree line that turned out to be too tight... but I was not able to completely stop before going ass first into the tree. Long story short, had a little bump and grind sesh with the tree, bounced/spun off and slid down the hill head first on my back laughing with no intentions of trying to get up because my ass hurt so bad! haha

·
Registered
276 Posts
Had a moment like this earlier this season carrying too much speed through a tree line that turned out to be too tight... but I was not able to completely stop before going ass first into the tree. Long story short, had a little bump and grind sesh with the tree, bounced/spun off and slid down the hill head first on my back laughing with no intentions of trying to get up because my ass hurt so bad! haha
hilarious yet shitty at the same tim! i was actually at a complete stop when i hit my knee. i guess it was just the way i hit it, though. glad you're ok. could have easily been a completely different situation if you landed crotch first ;)

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,505 Posts
I've started wearing knee and shin pads as a matter of course. Mostly coz I'm starting to hit features, but I have them on all the time anyway. And a couple of falls that would have hurt before were actually no big deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
riding out of bounds at wachusett... ducked under a fence found a nice line through the trees and we get to the bottom, we were missing one of our buddies on skis so it's getting dark out, we finally get back in there(evading ski patrol the whole time) and he's hanging from the orange mesh fence by his head:laugh: so we untangle him and get back down bonking trees the whole way in the dark:eek:

·
Registered
399 Posts
We had like 4 feet of fresh pow.. Get to the very top. My friends and I start down the run and about half way my friend does a rock drop so I follow him off the same rock but into a tree.. It was a pretty young tree and it kind of bent but it knocked the air out of me.. I fell face first into the pow. Thank god it was pow. lol! I laugh when I look back at it but trees are no laughing matter..

·
Registered
123 Posts
We had like 4 feet of fresh pow.. Get to the very top. My friends and I start down the run and about half way my friend does a rock drop so I follow him off the same rock but into a tree.. It was a pretty young tree and it kind of bent but it knocked the air out of me.. I fell face first into the pow. Thank god it was pow. lol! I laugh when I look back at it but trees are no laughing matter..
Mine is kinda like that. We were doing small cliff drops in Nelson B.C. at Whitewater. Deep snow, came of a lip the wrong way, ended up hitting the tree about 8 feet off the ground, crashing through the branches. Dinged up my board but it ripped my coat and scratched my face. I was more pissed about the coat than anything. LOL:laugh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the scariest part of this story is your buddy on the snowblades! ;)
Actually I should correct that... they are ski boards. Longer and wider than snowblades, but shorter than skis. And no poles... but he likes to follow kind of close. I'm just learning... total noob, so freaks me out a bit. But it's cool cause he's always right there when I fall to make sure I'm ok... (or scrambling for his camera when I hit trees) except that 9 times out of 10 I'm right back up in seconds trying to get going again and there he is stopped in my way. Can't fault him for caring though. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts