Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that the whole family is snowboarding, I am waxing and scraping 4 boards every 2-3 weeks or so. I try to wax after 2 or 3 days of riding. My garage is like a snowboard shop now, just need the naked girl calendar.

So this is taking me 2 or 3 hours to wax and scrap these boards. I have heard of guys scraping with a metal scraper because it is faster but I am afraid to wreck the base. Anybody use a metal scraper?

Also wax is stupidly expensive in Canada for some reason. I bought 150g of Beaver Wax for $14.99 at the local shop. Shitty wax I think, my board was very sticky last time out. Also way too expensive, I'm not racing.

I heard Hertel Super Hot Sauce is good. I was looking to buy a 3/4 lbs all-temp brick for $55 on Amazon.ca but I have to pay $10 shipping. Is it worth it?

Any tips on Canadian bulk wax is appreciated.

PS I searched this topic but the posts were several years old, I was hoping for newer info.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Buy the Hot Sauce online and save, yes for the metal scraper, if you wax that much you know how to do it without ruining the base.
I like my board waxed, but every 3 days unless it was all ice is a bit too much, I say every 5-7 depending on conditions.
Get the family to help! :grin:

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
yes hertel hot sauce and the fc version as well are really good. only other wax that compares is our forum members snow dog wax, using his molly and boy is it fast. (but it leaves some black residue because of the moly) hhahhahhaa.

should only take 10-15 minutes

ignore the drip threads, you are probably dripping way to much

take the iron heat it and then take the wax bar slide it on the iron to soften then crayon onto board running from tip to tail, making straight line, repeat untill you get to tail
then do another run (think of lanes on a road) till board is covered with thin crayon of wax. then take iron and run it down the lanes, tip to tail, very slowly to smooth and melt wax. do this lane by lane till board done.

let cool 10-30 minutes
then scrape tip to tail, one quarter of the board at a time, make sure get all wax. then brush using same technique.
follow up with cork or 3m, scrub pad to polish

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Yes get the Hot Sauce, I swear by it now. As mentioned the crayon method is great for saving on wax bills, although I don't heat it up first just rub it on cold. Definitely saves on scraping time and some would even say you don't need to scrape.

Never used a metal scraper, but I'm thinking of getting one too. After scraping with plastic for 15 years I think I got the hang of it haha.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
0:)
I feel much bettah now.

It's such a thin layer that your first run will scrape it for you. Personally I still scrape and buff, thats why I said "some would even say"
If you ever try the crayon method you'll see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
If you are going to use a metal scraper radius the edges. you will not gouge the base if you do. Ive seen to many people using a metal scraper without putting a radius on there scraper and inflicting damage to there base.

Lessons learned!!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
And what is a Radius? I know the meaning of the word but how that applies to waxing?

If you are going to use a metal scraper radius the edges. you will not gouge the base if you do. Ive seen to many people using a metal scraper without putting a radius on there scraper and inflicting damage to there base.

Lessons learned!!

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Kirkrider.. you take your metal scraper and round the edges. therefore you alleviate the tendencies to gouge your base.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys lots of good advice on here. I will definitely try the crayon method next time. I have been dripping wax everywhere. I'm surprised I haven't dripped some on my shoes yet.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Hey Wasabi, fellow Canuck here. :grin:

First off, congrats on getting the entire family riding. Not often you see the entire clan on boards. Well done !

Get a metal scraper. I switched over to one about 3 years ago and will never go back to a plastic / nylon one. Rounding the corners is something you might consider if you feel the need, but just go smooth and easy on your draw down the board and I doubt you'll ever gouge a base. Your call.

Wax in Canada. HUGE RIP OFF !!!

Never used Hertal, but as you can see by the feedback, many here love it. I myself use Dominator Universal Zoom, but no one in Canada carries it. Have to order it from the US of A . I was flukey smart and purchased a few big bricks of it when our dollar was still worth something. Wish I was flukey smart regarding the Stock Market. :frown:

There is a company in Calgary, Tools4Boards, mail order, that carries a brand called Briko-Maplus that has been recommended to me, but I have never used it.

Briko- Maplus Med Base 250 grams for about 32 bucks is the one to get for a Universal wax. Not cheap I know, I always try to grab my wax when it goes on sale. Gotta keep an eye out.

The outfits I keep an eye on for wax sales are the following:

Tognar, SlideWright, Jans.com, Start Haus, Artechski.com

Unfortunately I have yet to find anywhere in Canada that ever puts wax on sale.

To make your wax go as far as possible, use the crayon method although I am not a fan of it. Takes more time in mho. With experience you will get to know just how much to drip on as to never be pushing any wax around on the board with your iron. I also put a timer on my iron time. 6 to 7 minutes, that's all any board needs. ( Guilty as charged, I am anal about waxing, but for me it's all part of the experience )

30 minutes to cool, 5 minutes to scrape and 2 minutes with the green Scotchbrite and you are good to go.

Enjoy a beer, or with the number of boards you have to do, 2 beers along the way.

:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Hi!

2nd post!

awesome ideas here. One thing that I learned from waxing and speaking with the reps at hertal is; even though they say let it cure for 15-30 mins you should let it cure over night for scraping. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Recently started crayoning on my wax and I do like it, I use my excess shavings from previous waxes to fill in the gaps/tips/scratches.
I do buff with a brush but like one of the previous posters said any left over wax will be pulled right off of the board on your first run.

Happy Waxing,
I really enjoy waxing but if I wax anyone else's board I make them watch, it's spiritual, you know?
:)

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
If waxing is taking too long I wonder if you don't have your iron hot enough. An iron that isn't hot enough will result in taking a long time to drip the wax on and also to spread the wax.

You won't ruin your board if you keep the iron moving, you should be able to work out how hot to go without damaging anything.

I drip wax, use iron, leave for a bit, use plastic scraper. I don't use a 3M pad or anything after that as my next run will take care of excess wax. I try to wax every 3-4 days.

I really enjoy waxing but if I wax anyone else's board I make them watch, it's spiritual, you know?
:)
I enjoy the ritual!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
I'm nonotrious for dripping too much wax on my boards. After doing a Hot Wax to clean them, I proceeded to do a reg wax on them for this season,.. I did a reg drip application on two of them then I tried the "crayon" method on one.

I spent FAR less time working the iron,.. And it cut WAY down on the time (...and waste) needed when scraping.

FWiW,.. I used the Heat the Block of Wax, (...over the base, there will be a drip or two!) Then rub it on the board method. If you try the cold rub application you will proly cut your time even further. Another plus is,.. You shouldn't need to get & use a metal scraper for this. You won't have all that much wax to remove to warrant needing it. :grin:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Kirkrider.. you take your metal scraper and round the edges. therefore you alleviate the tendencies to gouge your base.

·
Registered
815 Posts
And what is a Radius? I know the meaning of the word but how that applies to waxing?
it's part of a circle.

When you look at the rectangular scraper, you have to round out the 90° edges to a sufficient enough radius so that you don't accidentally gouge the base.

If in doubt, use plastic.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts