Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all have that one friend that is simply poor. In my case my poor friend is exceptionally good at snowboarding. Right after my friend's dad lost his job we started somewhat of a charity for him called the I Ride 4 Nuk charity. Nuk stands for Nick, who is my under privileged friend. I'm calling out for some help by buying stickers and merchandise I created from here:

Ride4nuk | Zazzle.com Store

I hate to advertise on this site, but I'd rather be snowboarding with my friend this season than leaving him at home. Even a $5 sticker will go a long way to buy Nick a lift ticket.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Not to be an asshole.. but when I was 17 I was working 30-35 hours a week on top of school & sports so I could do shit (like snowboard) because my parents couldn't/wouldn't pay for anything. Kudos to you for being a good friend, but I'm just not seein' the underprivileged part from what you've told me so far. I want to support the kid, but you've got to sell me the story better than that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to be an asshole.. but when I was 17 I was working 30-35 hours a week on top of school & sports so I could do shit (like snowboard) because my parents couldn't/wouldn't pay for anything. Kudos to you for being a good friend, but I'm just not seein' the underprivileged part from what you've told me so far. I want to support the kid, but you've got to sell me the story better than that.
Well he does work (not 30-35 hours) but most of it goes into clothes, snowboard gear which could easily clean away a kid on minimum wages monthly paycheck, and then the scraps of his earnings are left for tickets. I'm not really trying to sell this charity, I just put it up if anyone wanted to feel free to buy some of the stickers and such.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
17? He's basically a man now. 14, I would have been all over that. I had two jobs and bought a car when I was 15. Rode my bike to work while practicing my bmx freestyle tricks and washed my car every week counting down the days till I turned 16. When I was 18 I got certified in all stick and mig welding levels and had a full time job working for Bankhead Welding. If you really wanna help your friend I think you should motivate him to get out be productive. Unless there is a side of this story I'm missing.

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
So how does his dad not having a job effect him? Is he the bread winner?

When I was 17 I worked a job for $5.50 an hour at the resort. Thus I got a pass, but I still managed to pay for gas to and from the mountain as I didn't have a car, bought my gear as I needed it, and went to school. Oh and I chipped in around my house as my parents weren't exactly making bank.

Explain to us how spending money on gear/clothing means we should fund his lift tickets? Simple solution don't buy the freshest shit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Explain to us how spending money on gear/clothing means we should fund his lift tickets? Simple solution don't buy the freshest shit.
This.

I'm not really trying to sell this charity, I just put it up if anyone wanted to feel free to buy some of the stickers and such.
You kind of are, and you kind of have to. I don't really see anyone just throwing money away just because. Frankly, if anyone is going to donate, we want to be sure that it's a good cause, and that the person really needs it.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
rcs ur a good friend, however a few comments...

First, went to the link and there is no mention of your friend or his situation...thus sketchy is my impression.

Second, if your friend is passionate abt riding...why isn't he figuring out a way to make it happen. Passion and necessity are great motivators. As example, my daughter since she was 15 has bought all her own ski gear and has bought her own passes since 6th grade. Her senior year, she worked 2 part-time jobs, did not have a dr license nor a car, lived 60 miles from the hill, and still managed to ski 100 days and get herself equipped with bc gear.

Third, I tend to agree with others...I was kid and worked my ass off to do things; at 17 I chose to move out of the house and pay my own bills...and I still work my ass off to pay bills and go riding.

Fourth, I can think of a few self initiated and self-employment jobs (that are legal) that are reasonable money...certainly more than flippin burgers.

·
Registered
10,669 Posts
Sorry to sound like an asshole, but there are too many people out there struggling with real issues like hunger and paying for medical bills for me to donate my money so that an assumingly able 17 year old can snowboard. If the kid was dying or something and his dream was to take a big snowboarding trip, damn straight I'd donate to the cause.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys are a bunch of haters. This kid really likes to ride, and we as a community should be encouraging that. I'm willing to help out.

I just bought a helmet cam and a new board and binding setup after budgeting money for things that I think are important. I promise to make some videos and post them here so Nuk can enjoy riding vicariously through my generosity.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Hey man, I'm in MA and willing to help your buddy out. I have some yard work that needs to be done, I don't pay well, but it's a start.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
You reason for posting is admirable. Sounds like hard times for the family. I've been there. Instead of looking for donations maybe looking for solutions? tdn's offer is a legitimate way to proceed. If he can snowboard he can certainly do labor to earn that right. It is what most of us do in some form here. Myself included.

The kid needs a job. Anyone else got some ideas or employment for a 17yr old in his area?

Drop the standing on a corner giving handies for $5 a pop. I think he honestly wants to help a friend who is not as fortunate. This sport is stupid expensive. His first idea didn't work so well. At least it wasn't rotating bindings or dual snowboards. The right track has been said. What else can we offer?

·
Registered
267 Posts
You reason for posting is admirable. Sounds like hard times for the family. I've been there. Instead of looking for donations maybe looking for solutions? tdn's offer is a legitimate way to proceed. If he can snowboard he can certainly do labor to earn that right. It is what most of us do in some form here. Myself included.

The kid needs a job. Anyone else got some ideas or employment for a 17yr old in his area?

Drop the standing on a corner giving handies for $5 a pop. I think he honestly wants to help a friend who is not as fortunate. This sport is stupid expensive. His first idea didn't work so well. At least it wasn't rotating bindings or dual snowboards. The right track has been said. What else can we offer?
If the kid wants to ride then he should get a job at their local resort if it is within a reasonable driving range. Can't run a lift, but could work in the cafeteria or rental shop. Fuck even be a ticket seller, just to get that free season pass. Our hill even has free rentals for employees.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
That is what I am talking about.

Maybe that won't work though. Don't most shops get pass or lift ticket benefits? Could be another way to go.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nick has severe adhd and a variety of other problems. He struggles in school and life among other things. Snowboarding is the one thing that he can effectively do and I'm just trying to help him go snowboarding.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's the beginning of October... east coast riding won't be happening for another 2 months. What is he doing until then? What has he been doing all summer?

You say all his money goes to clothes and gear. Forgive the lack of empathy, but not many people are going to want to help buy the kid lift tickets when he's got a couple hundred into a board setup and 2 or 3 sets of outerwear. Time to prioritize. 17 is close enough to being an adult where it's time to start thinking and acting like one.

·
Veteran Member
11,555 Posts
Nick has severe adhd and a variety of other problems. He struggles in school and life among other things. Snowboarding is the one thing that he can effectively do and I'm just trying to help him go snowboarding.
ADHD is not going to fly. Plenty of people have that disorder and manage to make ends meet. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure it out.

Not trying to be a jerk here. This is more of a case of "empowerment".

What can be done to make it possible for him to ride? Maybe the suggestions so far don't work. I don't know for sure. To get the results you are looking for, the person you are trying to help is probably going to have to be an active participant in solving the situation. I think you can get some great ideas and help here. I just think your initial tactic was not the right way to go about it.

Everybody has their issues they have to deal with. It is how you take it on that makes the difference.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If there's a will, there's a way.

Not having money in the past has never stopped me. No matter what, I always made sure I went snowboarding, everything else took a backseat and I trusted it to all fall into place.

Your friends is buying clothes and snowboard gear first and relying on complete strangers to fork over money for his season pass!! :dizzy: :WTF: I think even his 17 year old brain should realize the ridiculousness of that request.

Not only am I not giving money, I hope no one else gives him money or buys the stupid stickers. Let him look at all his new gear sitting in his room all winter while everyone else is riding. Maybe he'll learn to make better decisions in the future.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sorry to hear about your friend and you have good intentions but your approach is all wrong. Honorable idea, poor execution.

If you would have told me that he's wearing the same pants and jacket because he cannot afford new ones for the past few years then perhaps I would have.

If you would have told me that this gear were all hand me downs from other friends or complete strangers, then I would have helped.

If the site said a little something about your friend and how underprivileged he was, then I might help.

I live in NYC and I see fake beggers and pan handlers all the time on the trains. You have to do better than that to get my money.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts