Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you don't know, SnowboardProCamp is a very popular snowboarding youtuber that spits out video content mostly targeted towards beginners and early intermediate riders. Of his top videos, it's all beginner shit, things like "how to turn", "difference between camber and rocker", and stuff like that. Which is great! He has no technical content aimed towards advanced or expert riders. Over the past while he's gotten into vlogging about his daily snowboarding and his snowboarding trips, which is also great.

My problem with him though is that he does a lot of shit in his vlogs that noobs have no business doing, while posting it on this noob-focused channel and narrating it like he's talking to noobs. Here's a video he posted today, filmed on January 3rd. He starts the first few minutes of the video talking about how so much of the mountain, particularly the upper lifts and alpine, is closed, so they're hiking to find lines. Yeah, everything on the mountains was closed because of extreme avalanche danger and a good lower portion was closed due to early season conditions (tons of creeks and stuff that hasn't been filled in), which is a great time for noobs to stay on marked runs as signs everywhere on the mountain said. At 3:40 he says "It's a bit iffy, but you can see tracks and other people have done it earlier today" which is the worst thing you can tell a noob lol. The stuff that he rides from there onward is all on a completely (permanently) roped off section of the mountain and it's full of rocks, logs, and probably tree wells due to early season conditions. If you don't know Whistler they're riding in the big valley right under Peak-to-Peak where, as you can see, there is no lift and to get out of it you need to know here you're going and take a hard turn at the correct spot to get out. He says at 5:20 "yeah so there are a lot of logs down there and we may have to walk out of it" like that's a completely normal thing to do at a resort. Homie at 9:20 says "Yeah we haven't seen anyone in this area all day" gee I wonder fucking why.

I mean, this stuff is all fine, I've ridden this kind of stuff before and you probably have too - except that all of his content is noob-targeted, he narrates in a way that is noob-targeted, and he normalizes and talks casually about a lot of stuff would actually be really dangerous for noobs or non-locals to do like ducking ropes and hiking to unknown areas. I'm reading the comments on this video and here are some copy and pasted quotes:

"Love you’re channel you guys taught me how to snowboard"

"Bout to go for my first time on Wednesday I’m stoked"

"First time up ever today and it was an amazing day just wish I knew the runs better because the lines were awful"

"Love the videos man keep up the good content I’ve been watching your videos for a while now and I hope to be as good as you on day :)"

Anyway, rant over, I just saw this video today and was pretty appalled.

I hope that beginners don't start doing shit that gets them hurt or worse because these SnowboardProCamp guys are making it seem like anyone can happily try the risky stuff that they're doing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just found out a out his videos. I'm not a beginner but more intermediate +. Some of vids though tend to be stretched out too much. And kind of blabs on too much. It's like I find myself fast forwarding his videos sometimes

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
Alot of yt'ers vids are guilty of this. A few years ago posted about gnarfairies who show bluebird baker foot and it looks glorious. However the actual ability to have the opportunity to ride such a unicorn is pretty damm rare. Thus it promotes chasing the dragon...which we all do...but it does end up having the unprepared burb rei crowd thinking they are getting their natty on, not realizing that they are actually putting themselves and others in an un-awares elevated risk. Infact, yesterday saw a few going out the BC gate and thought wtf, its puking, wind loaded and vis was very poor...and inbounds was very decent and able to find fresh lines even though the hill was was over run shit show by touristas.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I'm a beginner (first proper season) and I've been watching Snowboard Pro Camp YouTubes a fair amount for nearly 12 months as I find some of them informative. While I can appreciate the OP's sentiment I guess I look at it as everyone needs to take responsibility for their own actions. I don't see these YouTube videos typically resulting in making people do crazy/dangerous things that they wouldn't have done anyway.

Having just returned from 2 weeks at Beech Mountain I remain amazed at the number of snowboarders of all ages (children to adults) who don't wear helmets, even more so when they are clearly beginners and from the looks of it have never taken a lesson.

Unfortunately if the YTers make safety warnings then some people will say that is too much, while others would say it is not enough. I don't think they can ever make everyone happy.

Ultimately, if people want to take part in action sports then they need to spend some time researching on safety, technique etc and take responsibility for the consequences of their own actions.

TheSalamander

·
Registered
162 Posts
Of his top videos, it's all beginner shit, things like "how to turn", "difference between camber and rocker", and stuff like that. Which is great! He has no technical content aimed towards advanced or expert riders. Over the past while he's gotten into vlogging about his daily snowboarding and his snowboarding trips, which is also great.
I agree. Beginners will get the most out of their content.

The gear reviews are riddled with bad advice though. There was a boot video a while back that was just terrible, pretty much an ad for Vans.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Yeah we talked about this either last season or the one before... some dude was calling me a hater. I don't care.

I haven't seen anything from their channel in a long time but they are nice guys. I blame the new "economy" where everyone is trying to cash in on the whole Youtube/Social media click based algorithms.

There's guides, instructors, etc etc who 1) actually train, learn and research to KNOW what they are doing and how to convey the info 2) take responsibility for the safety of the people under their watch 3) give complete and personalized feedback and information based on the specific conditions and the group's abilities and 4) sacrifice their day to help the people paying them.

On the other hand, you've got this irresponsible shit.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I watch their videos for spoilers about Whistler runs and such. I don't know that anyone will watch the videos and just swallow them whole, unless they're a bit of a twit. In that case, Darwining really is a thing.
Yeah but that's because you already have an idea of the terrain, know the mountain AND are a 'responsible adult'. Imagine a 19 y/o know it all from who knows where seeing this and thinking it's as simple as that or that they're indestructible......

I was riding with my cousin's son yesterday, he's a little fearless 6 y/o skier. Wanted to do the "double blacks" and trees and even wanted to go for it standing right before some of those runs. He had ZERO mental limitation. There's older people just like that, even if they're just pizzaing the blues; and you don't know until you are right there with them which a proper guide/instructor gets to see.

In the end, yes, if they get wrecked it's their own fault. But... that's the reason there's easier money to be made when you have no responsibility for the safety of the people trying to follow you and your 'best day ever' vlog runs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
He does have a pretty big online YouTube profile but I agree, we all need to be very careful showing people lines their ability and experience is not suitable too. I was researching something and saw this review Strapins (Snowboard Boot Accessory) Review | Snowboarding Profiles which was not a video. I thought it was both well structured and unbiased which I appreciated.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Outside of the park I don’t find him to be a very good rider. He’s pretty “Backfoot heavy”...which is what I understand we’re calling skid turns these days lol. TJ is alright though...he stays in his lane when giving advice unlike captain rope ducker.

·
Super Moderator
6,081 Posts
While I understand completely what you guys are saying about the vids, my take on it is that in order to swallow the vid's message that uncritically, not just when watching it but when actually looking down that double-black, you have to be of a, er, certain mindset. If so, chances are you're going to wreck yourself one way or another, sooner or later. Most people will at least have a rush of common sense to the head when they are actually faced with The Couloir.

·
Super Moderator
6,081 Posts
I was riding with my cousin's son yesterday, he's a little fearless 6 y/o skier. Wanted to do the "double blacks" and trees and even wanted to go for it standing right before some of those runs. He had ZERO mental limitation.
My friend's daughter was like that when she was young. I don't think she even realized that you could turn on skis for a couple of seasons.

She's also had her pass revoked on Grouse several seasons in a row for breaking the sound barrier through slow zones.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
My friend's daughter was like that when she was young. I don't think she even realized that you could turn on skis for a couple of seasons.

She's also had her pass revoked on Grouse several seasons in a row for breaking the sound barrier through slow zones.
Yeah, it's not only young people (although it mostly is). Some people are truly like that. It's a specific mindset. This kid would see the gnarly steep path leading through some trees and go... yeah let's go. Normally people only say that from the chairlift or from a distance and back out once there.... Not this guy. I was like WTF?!

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Outside of the park I don’t find him to be a very good rider. He’s pretty “Backfoot heavy”...which is what I understand we’re calling skid turns these days lol. TJ is alright though...he stays in his lane when giving advice unlike captain rope ducker.
He's fine. Even if he's not a pro level rider, i think he's ok and having fun. His older videos are informative etc etc. In general, I think they're just being irresponsible because the platform allows for it. It's true, it's not his responsibility if some dude wrecks himself. But, the same can be said about a lot of things where others HAVE to take responsibility...

Oh also he is really really tall... will never look as "stacked" as the short dudes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I get the giving away lines, on any mountain, but to be honest that is exactly the type of thing I plan on doing in a week from now when I arrive in Myoko. Having just watched that high def video, I'm amped!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been riding for 15+ years and got heavily into park couple years ago, I used to watch their park tutorial videos until I realized how poorly they are at explaining the proper steps and lines taken to get to those tricks. Kevin's park styles seems lazy and unrefined for how much he rides, with the way he pulls his arm in to spin instead of using it to initiate and follow through. Since then I have found Snowboard Addiction, Casey Willax, and Tommie Bennett to make much better tutorials. Snowboard ProCamp's livestreams are somewhat entertaining, but not useful for any amount of advice, especially on gear and snowboards. The video on the most comfortable boots are filler content at best. Best boots are all based on personal preference, I have wide feet so DC boots fit me best.

The board reviews done by TJ are pretty uninformative as well, he seem to say only the positive things and leave any negative aspects out as there are strengths and weaknesses to every board based on the condition and discipline. The board size advice he gives to people in the comments are often 1 size too large because he himself prefers riding larger boards. (See his Warpig review, based on his weight he should be riding the 148 not 151). If you want proper board reviews I'd recommend Angry Snowboarder.

It's getting harder and harder to watch their contents without fast-forwarding most of the time. Will probably unsubscribe soon.

Definitely contents meant for noobies, though often times the advice should be taken with a very large grain of salt.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Honestly, if someone is prone to biting off more than they can chew and getting themselves into trouble, they don't need to go OOB to do it.

I started watching those videos and went down a rabbit hole to where I started riding with the goal of getting good enough and learning enough to splitboard.

I do agree that the mix of material comes off as a bit weird, but I see it more like a 'if you keep working hard look at what you can do!'. They're also always wearing helmets etc.

·
Registered
8,056 Posts
I started watching those videos and went down a rabbit hole to where I started riding with the goal of getting good enough and learning enough to splitboard.
Getting good enough... Here again is the yt phenomena...selling you the delusion of extreme. You probably are already riding well enough. The thing is, in BC you dial it back. Debari, Rice, Jones and etal are getting sponsored to ride/film hairy balls...and true enough have the knowledge, skills and support. But they are getting paid/sponsored to stoke us. While us mere mortals...no sponsors, footy crew nor air/heli support...the goal is to return to the parking lot, have a beer eat dinner and go to work on Monday. So the mindset consist of similar but also of somewhat different priorities of merely enjoying the outing with the crew and dropping conservative lines or at least riding conservatively because if you fu you can be done or at least be in a big shite hole with immediate and potential long-term consequences. Delusion vs reality. This past Saturday, I rode way more aggressively on double blacks in bounds than I would in BC which would be more like doing blue runs. It is good to be prepared...just don't let your delusions get the best of you.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts