Registered
5,468 Posts
I'm liking these ones:

Sharing and Thumbs up to them.

Fingers crossed for CO next. Breck and Vail would be 👌

·
Registered
43 Posts
Whether you like it or not, risk mitigation is part of that fee.

Magic couches are pretty great though.
+1 on magic couches. finding a couch in a smoke shack is pretty frikken magical, allegedly. Also chairlifts.

risk mitigation is just that. mitigation. not 100% avalanche control. No-one calls it avalanche control any more. too many ambulance chasing lawyers...

·
Registered
210 Posts
People in 2020 like media they can consume without thinking.
They require it in large quantities.
You cannot help them, you can only stop allowing it to wreck your day.

Don't catch the ball ✌

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ugh here we go. I've said it before and I'll say it again at some point one of these YouTuber people is going to do or say something that will get someone killed. Regardless of personal responsibility there is a community responsibility to make snowboarding better for those that don't live the lifestyle. It goes back to my philosophy of always make snowboarding better than it was before.

Unfortunately we live in a time where people are swallowed up by the race for views, ad revenue, affiliate clicks, likes, shares, and the such. This causes people to negate common sense and chase the almighty dollar when they won't stay in their lane. This also creates the phenomenon of the poser in a position. Unfortunately that poser in the position is the person that was first through the door or the early adopter of a platform. This is why you see idiots like Johnathan Buckhouse promoting shit Amazon goggles or Kevin saying that the best boot period is the cheapest boot Vans makes.

On top of all that which is literally shit advice and things that can hurt you, you have people blowing out lines for views, showing asinine advice to anyone that has the ability to watch without a complete understanding of the situation. Jenise Spiteri literally told people oh just park here and hike to get into some road accessed backcountry without even talking about the dangers of doing such a thing. Something that should be said for the uninitiated because lets be real all of us regardless of how responsible we are, at one point did something that could have killed us or others. I won't lie I've been buried twice, I've gone into a tree well a few times, I've falling into a crevasse, you name it my dumbass did it in my early 20's. But I survived and I learned from it and I've made sure to tell people about it. I learned my knowledge and wisdom from those that came before me as well as trial and error, but with some quick editing, a little ADR, and an audience like I've never seen you can hide all those mistakes and make it look tangible. It's all for the views.

I say this often to anyone that rides with me for the first time or has just moved to the mountains. There's a big difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is knowing it snowed, wisdom is knowing how it snowed. Unfortunately SBC and all the others are in the mindset of they have the knowledge to know it'll get views but lack the wisdom to realize they should be taking a slight responsibility to their audience to make them better snowboarders (and I don't mean better at snowboarding).

What we're seeing today is people that literally believe snowboarding "owes" them because they created an audience. I find this more comical because while still relatively "new" to the YouTube thing I have 11 years of owning my own personal site and have almost 20 years of giving various snowboarding advice online. I see it from a different perspective than them, which is also comedic because everyone mentioned here for some reason always slightly talks down to me like I don't know what I'm doing. That right there should tell you their mindset.

Do I agree that these channels hurt snowboarding? To an extent, I think there's literally people out there following them with blind faith and exuberance that will ultimately get them a negative result. I also think that there's people that haven't snowboarded or had a bad first experience that find them and latch on to their personality or what they're promoting and get further into it and eventually move past what they're offering. It's a very thin line. What I tell people who DM me (yes this happens like 20 times a week) about this subject is if you find that you can't support them, then don't. Stop watching, stop buying from their links, stop buying their merchandise, don't support their Patreons or other methods of funding. Tell the uninitiated when there's a cross over like a live stream or video comment why you don't. Don't hesitate to call them out. Engage with them if they're willing (which from what I have seen isn't possible their egos are just too grandios) and tell them the disservice they're doing. You literally have the control of their fandom and outcome because they based their model on the end user.

Damn that was a long response, I'm going to go destroy some Amazon goggles now for a video and shit on Buckhouse.
Respect

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Fuck. They just shot an episode at Stevens Pass and hyped it up as a good place to hit on the epic pass. Changed my mind, I agree with the above posters now. We can't handle his traffic.
They put out 4-5 separate videos about Stevens through their various channels. On one of them, they literally drew an animated map to an inbounds stash. Fuck those guys.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
They put out 4-5 separate videos about Stevens through their various channels. On one of them, they literally drew an animated map to an inbounds stash. Fuck those guys.
LOL

I keep asking for them to do CO.
Please please please. But CO is big and many resorts. Best would be if they spend a whole season there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What a fuckin idiot that Chris Eyres guy is. Kevin Pearce’s “SECRET STASH” vids are bad enough but nobody watches Chris’s channel, so he consistently takes it the extra mile to try and get views. These clowns have no respect at all.

Fortunately they got some shots of their vehicles, so next time someone sees one of those in the lot at Stevens or around Whistler, be sure to... uh, leave a politely worded note. Definitely don’t let the air out of their tires or anything like that, that would be disrespectful.

I also love how they zoom in on the avalanche conditions sign at “considerable” danger like it’s a joke, and keep going with no discussion, no avy gear or anything. Drop in without checking the snowpack. Nobody stays back to spot, they all drop at the same time so they can get gopro shots. And the whole time actively encouraging the audience to make the hike out of bounds walking right past multiple signs without comment. That area has several terrain traps and is known to slide too. Literally a tutorial on everything not to do for people who don’t know what they’re doing.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,267 Posts
Did I miss a memo,... I know it's not a safety issue like ducking ropes or ignoring avy warning signs etc, but I thought it was totally against the bro code to go willy nilly blabbing about secret pow stash spots? 😶

My understanding was that this was information to be shared only amongst trusted friends. Ppl you have ridden & shared stoke with. And even then with an strict admonition about "Fight Club" rulez???

Can't see how these guys could think that posting vids revealing those sacred stashes would endear them to ANYBODY in the Snowboard community. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
43 Posts
What a fuckin idiot that Chris Eyres guy is. Kevin Pearce’s “SECRET STASH” vids are bad enough but nobody watches Chris’s channel, so he consistently takes it the extra mile to try and get views. These clowns have no respect at all.

Fortunately they got some shots of their vehicles, so next time someone sees one of those in the lot at Stevens or around Whistler, be sure to... uh, leave a politely worded note. Definitely don’t let the air out of their tires or anything like that, that would be disrespectful.

I also love how they zoom in on the avalanche conditions sign at “considerable” danger like it’s a joke, and keep going with no discussion, no avy gear or anything. Drop in without checking the snowpack. Nobody stays back to spot, they all drop at the same time so they can get gopro shots. And the whole time actively encouraging the audience to make the hike out of bounds walking right past multiple signs without comment. That area has several terrain traps and is known to slide too. Literally a tutorial on everything not to do for people who don’t know what they’re doing.
if a person who is so inclined doesn't have any note paper or pen, but has a suitably shaped metal object to hand, they could still leave a politely worded note in an appropriate place.

·
Registered
474 Posts
The greatest thing about secret stashes is that they are earned. Secrets are to be cherished. When I'm covered in freshies on a lift, I've told people they can't follow me, and that I'd ditch them at cliffs if they do. Sometimes I won't even show friends other friends stashes. It's not my call. These guys are stepping way outside of the culture by blowing up spots like this. It's unacceptable, and at some point the community will sanction them for it. Hopefully it's caught on video.

They should keep out of Colorado. We don't hardly get any snow anyway! I cringed when they went to show off stashes at Arapahoe Basin's Steep Gullies and almost died. That spot got a little too real. It's right at the seven minute mark in the video.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think these guys are all, collectively, all just awesome.

I WANT to see a world where you have a crew of 10-15 people, all travelling with 3+ GoPros mounted on forehead/crack/knob end ALL the time, filming every second of everything, and talking how totally rad it was when "seriously guys, if you're ever in Niseko, check out THIS place - I didn't actively search it out, I just happened across the place because I don't know ANY of the fcking language, but much love and much respect - the bidets HERE get that water jet RIIIIIGHT up into your guts".

Crews who have the staff bewildered when they pile in, 20 GoPros strong, all filming each other then back to themselves then each other, talking about how GOOD the local cuisine is, whilst the staff are like "uh this is a 7/11?".

Crews who are so influential that they have people like my kook mate who can't properly link turns (and who don't give a fck about respecting the sport enough to keep ontop of stretching, off-season training, or any of that - there are sale tickets online right now!!!) just itching to travel to resorts all over, all of 5 days of riding under their belts, so that they can join 20,000 other Youtube fans in riding the same pow stashes and awesome lines that these Youtubers are riding.

It's fantastic.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts

Did I miss a memo,... I know it's not a safety issue like ducking ropes or ignoring avy warning signs etc, but I thought it was totally against the bro code to go willy nilly blabbing about secret pow stash spots? 😶

My understanding was that this was information to be shared only amongst trusted friends. Ppl you have ridden & shared stoke with. And even then with an strict admonition about "Fight Club" rulez???

Can't see how these guys could think that posting vids revealing those sacred stashes would endear them to ANYBODY in the Snowboard community. 🤷‍♂️
if a person who is so inclined doesn't have any note paper or pen, but has a suitably shaped metal object to hand, they could still leave a politely worded note in an appropriate place.
Arapahoe Basin
BS. These guys are not blowing up any secret stashes.
Everything they show are pretty well known spots on mountain. Look at the number of other people and/or tracks in their videos. Most places are expressly sign-posted and many are even on the official resort maps.
'Secret' stashes LMAO

·
Registered
2,708 Posts

Darwin Awards, methinks......

181 - 200 of 202 Posts