Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

61 - 80 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think I just watched the video that led to this thread. Ie the one with the avalanche risk and them hiking OOB and not talking about how to gauge the risk or tree wells etc.

Yeahhhh...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Probably at least 50% of their vlogs are them riding powder, be it in Canada, USA, Japan, Chile, Alps etc. That's probably 40+ videos a year (conservative estimate). They've spoken about freeride/backcountry safety in numerous videos in the past - riding with at least one person, never alone, maintaining communication whilst riding, spotting safe lines for each other, av gear and regularly practising how to find a buried transceiver with your riding group, why it's important, tree well safety etc etc. And they continue to bring it up occasionally, from time to time. In the last video they did, they talked about the signs on trees in Whistler warning people that there's no exit in certain directions, where the resort boundaries are, and the importance of looking out for these signs.

Really don't understand the issue here. Do they need to repeat this information in EVERY powder/backcountry video they do? Do you really think that's a reasonable expectation? Viewers would get pretty annoyed at having to listen to the same cautionary advice over and over again in tens and tens of videos a year. Perhaps every time they do something that's not a beginner level thing they should have a screen come up with a list of dos and don'ts? Again, totally unreasonable. 🤷‍♂️

@BurtonAvenger - thanks for the YT insight, very interesting!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Their content is aimed at beginners and people who snowboard. I remember watching all their vids after my first day on snow. This is the pattern I see with my friends that just got into the sport. They do have a positive vibe and help you to get stoked on snowboarding. They deserve the credit there.

They could cut on advertising Union and Mervin in such a blatant way for ‚free stickers’. I’d say Kevin might be credited more for the last year Orca hype than Travis himself.

There are more things you could possibly criticise the SPC for but if you say they promote risky behaviour look at your friends and pros’ promo vids without helmets. That is way more dangerous imo but most people have a rational standpoint there that it’s your choice. As they say freedom comes with responsibility.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Their last two videos were pretty sick actually.
Kevin- “it’ll be fine you’re an expert snowboarder”
TJ - “argh! That didn’t work at all”

that shit was funny

·
Registered
49 Posts
Their content is aimed at beginners and people who snowboard. I remember watching all their vids after my first day on snow. This is the pattern I see with my friends that just got into the sport. They do have a positive vibe and help you to get stoked on snowboarding. They deserve the credit there.

They could cut on advertising Union and Mervin in such a blatant way for ‚free stickers’. I’d say Kevin might be credited more for the last year Orca hype than Travis himself.

There are more things you could possibly criticise the SPC for but if you say they promote risky behaviour look at your friends and pros’ promo vids without helmets. That is way more dangerous imo but most people have a rational standpoint there that it’s your choice. As they say freedom comes with responsibility.
For free stickers? Do you think that's all they get from Mervin and Union? lol, they are getting free stuff non-stop from those companies. Look at their recent YouTube captions, all affiliate links. Which means anyone who clicks and orders they get a cut from.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is such a shit show I had to join to comment.

It's youtube, and if you take everything literally from youtube for snowboarding then you should be blaming all the pro's for posting videos and everyone assuming they can ride those lines ever. He's talked a ton about being someone who used to teach and thats what his profile was originally aimed at. Tips and advice from someone who's done it and lived at Whistler for years.

Seeing "Did he have a beacon or avy info" for the video in question. In many video's he talks about having the avy gear on hand and safety. Usually when in tree's constantly mentions dont do this alone, and travel with a friend ect. Kevin has also mentioned a ton that lessons are important. Hell my GF watched his beginner lessons and isn't asking me to to on a black run now. If you watch those videos and say "Im going to that run he's on" then you're not listen to him, or you don't have a brain and probably get fed through a straw currently.

Both of them can ride pretty good, and spend the cash to make content. Sure it's a sweet deal to make a good amount of cash to have a snowboarding youtube channel but how is that a bad thing? Don't like it? Make better content yourself, but got a feeling you won't and couldn't. To be saying that "Its bad for the community" is not only ridiculous but sad. Anything someone is doing that is positive for snowboarding like his channel is great for it, and gets more people out there learning.

Also they're not sponsored by Union or Mervin. If ANYTHING they get deals from Comor, and Comor sells a ton of that shit. Maybe even the circle, as thats where Kev got his current Jacket and Pants from.

·
Registered
22 Posts
who gives a shit.

i like the dudes and i watch the vids for the stoke. same with Casey Willax and whoever. i'm not doing anything close to what they are and i never planned on it. i'm old and i suck a riding, sliding and ruddering my ass all over the mountain. it's just fun to watch. and i sure ain't buying any of the gear they rep. i'm going to evo clearance rack or some shit cuz i ride like 10 days a year.

the only channel i watch with the intent of taking something useful away from it is Angry. and even Avran would question my mental capacity for that.

61 - 80 of 167 Posts