Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

101 - 120 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I find N64 1080 Snowboarding to be the end all of educational and instructional snowboarding material. For the real difficult stuff I usually cross reference SSX Tricky, but that’s an advanced strategy and should not be attempted by beginners.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like the 85 mph Barbie Jeep they built, but the 800cc long arm Odyssey is totally insane.

Oh wait, wrong channel- never heard of these guy. Carry on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find N64 1080 Snowboarding to be the end all of educational and instructional snowboarding material. For the real difficult stuff I usually cross reference SSX Tricky, but that’s an advanced strategy and should not be attempted by beginners.
Haha wow, I heard "1080!" in my head as soon as I read that. That game was awesome, but it caused me to hurt myself badly my first time snowboarding...didn't realize it's not that easy to do 1080 flip in real life

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)
I like how the threadstarter dropped this steaming shitpile of a thread and never came back lol. @keel_bright is a skier
Sorry I was busy being a jerry. I wish I followed SPC's "super pro advice" about how to use a "headplant" to flop over a log. Super pro, I wish I was that pro.

It's fucking hilarious to me how many people have replied in this thread saying "Oh well they carry avy and beacon" because it EXACTLY illustrates my point about how they're normalizing hazardous shit and making people think stuff is safe when it's not.

Carrying an avy and beacon does not mean jack shit, which you would know if you actually had any avalanche training. Half of the AST-1 course is learning to have the discipline NOT TO GO into the backcountry. Having avy training does not mean you are good to go where-ever and whenever as long as you are carrying gear. I'll repeat again that on January 3rd, on the day of filming, a very rare "Extreme" warning was issued by Avalanche Canada. Carrying avy gear and "riding with a buddy and maintaining line of sight" does not negate any of that. Do y'all seriously think that people are dying in the backcountry because they're not carrying avy gear? Honestly, if anyone rode in the Whistler backcountry on January 3rd, they are a dumbfuck. On Sunday, 30 passes were pulled for people ducking in-bounds ropes. They got their passes pulled while being IN-BOUNDS, and the 18 people skinning were carrying and avy gear hurr durr. That's how fucking serious Whistler is taking shit this year because the snowpack is so damn bad.

But apparently saying "hey guys, make sure you're careful and ride with a friend!" on fucking Snowboard Sesame Street is enough to negate all of that. "Now watch us do all of this shit that looks really fun but is actually really stupid". Oh man, I wish this physician who died yesterday was carrying avy gear with her and riding with friends who "were being careful" and "kept her in line-of-sight". Oh wait, she was carrying gear, and it still took her friends an hour to find and dig her out. So if you replied to this thread with "well they carry avy gear and tell people to keep an eye out for their friends!" then you also have no idea what avalanche safety actually entails and you're part of the dumbfuck environment that this has created. And I don't blame you for it.

And to all of the people saying "Well, Darwin was right" and "well if they're a dumbfucks, they die" .. Yes, we could go that way as a community. I just don't personally think "Welcome to snowboarding, feel free to do any stupid shit that you want but we'll laugh at you and make natural selection jokes while you die" is a good direction for the community, but that is subjective apparently.

You misunderstood me if you think I blame youtube for people doing dumb shit. I think people should be responsible for their actions. I don't think we should police people. I think we should be creating an environment and community that helps people learn a safe and fun way to explore snowboarding . I think that videos of dumb shit on Snowboard Sesame street are bad for creating that environment.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Haha wow, I heard "1080!" in my head as soon as I read that. That game was awesome, but it caused me to hurt myself badly my first time snowboarding...didn't realize it's not that easy to do 1080 flip in real life
Well you can only imagine how shocked I was when I tried to do a kick flip after playing SSX!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Doing a 1080 in that game was far from easy..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
They've spoken about freeride/backcountry safety in numerous videos in the past - riding with at least one person, never alone, maintaining communication whilst riding, spotting safe lines for each other, av gear and regularly practising how to find a buried transceiver with your riding group, why it's important, tree well safety etc etc.
So riding out of bounds (like they did in that video) during category 5 extreme avalanche danger if you're carrying avy gear and riding with at least one person and keeping an eye on them is safe right?

Hmm. You notice how every single page of avalanche safety like this one and this one talk about ... fucking looking at the forecast and reading about the snowpack as the very first thing on the page? And this page is called know BEFORE you go? Did they talk about that in their videos?

Everyone up in here like bUt thEy'Re ExPerTs aNd tHeY cArRy aVy gEaR. Do y'all seriously think that people are dying in the backcountry because they're not carrying avy gear? No, their fucking bodies are recovered with the transceiver on. Thinking that you're safe riding with avy gear during category 5 avalanche danger is like thinking you're safe if you travel with a bullet proof vest through a Syrian warzone.

Wow, it seems like they have actually discussed next to nothing about avalanche safety. I would even venture to say that their videos have given you the idea that you've got some basic awareness, when they have actually taught you nothing about what actually matters. Guess what dude, this is exactly what I was talking about - people are being misled to think they are learning something when they are not.

Meanwhile, on snowboard sesame street - HEY GUYS LOOK AT WHAT LIES BEYOND THESE ROPES IT"S MAGICAL POWDER FIELDS HURRAY!!! But stick with a buddy and watch out for tree wells okay?? Gee why isn't anyone else here? Sucks to be stuck in that lift line!"

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sorry I was busy being a jerry.....
This is a good post and I fully agree with you on creating the right environment especially if someone has a large enough following and influence on their audience. They have a responsibility to the community to spread proper information and set the right example, especially if their audience is full of beginners.

I was also surprised they rode that terrain at that particular time. Listening to them and seeing them in action, they don’t sound very experienced in the backcountry at all. It’s all for the views though.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
This morning I had to decide between sausage or bacon with my eggs. I like to think SPC would have chose sausage. I got the sausage. Coffee wasn’t bad but I’ve had better.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'd have to agree with that what's really important about avalanche safety gets buried with just having avalanche gear and riding together. And I don't think it's as easy as saying it's all about natural selection and they just had themselves to blame.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
one thing to add: statistically speaking, the more avalanche training you have, the more likely you are to be caught in an avalanche- likely because it means you are out in the backcountry much more often. People often refer to avalanche transceivers as "dead body locators". Having the equipment should not give one a false sense of security. I have seen a few SPC videos in the past but nothing lately. The style doesn't appeal to me but I could not put my finger on exactly why. It does blow my mind that they make as much money off these videos as they do, though.

101 - 120 of 202 Posts