Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
I think the OP is just reflecting on the state of current litigious society. not making it worse, it's already there.

Unfortunately precedent has already been set and reinforced numerous times though frivolous and ridiculous claims for damages being upheld by courts across the country..

To me, the problem is that Kevin and TJ NEED to make popular content to fund themselves and continue the sweet lifestyle where they don't have to work a shit job to get by.

That may lead to dubious decisions where they go and do sketchy things without the skills and knowledge to deal with things going wrong.

No-one can stop people viewing Youtube videos and then doing dumb shit. The problem is those dumb people are not putting on their big boy or big girl pants and taking personal responsibility for their actions.

None of the SBPC guys are doing anything truly radical. they seem to stick within the limits of their ability, for the most part.

If Kevin, TJ or any of their buddies do stupid shit and then sue the resort, THEN their youtube channels deserve to die.
It's not Kevin or TJ suing the resort.

The question is somebody getting wrecked, and their family suing the resort and then the legal repercussions coming from that. If you think you can't sue a resort because you 'signed' a waiver... think again. You CAN and the repercussions go far beyond the specific event.

Getting wrecked whilst riding not-so extreme stuff is not far-fetched either:

Now... the majority of this thread is littered with the typical pseudo-highschool jock-UFC-type trash talk americans are well known for (which is the majority of YouTube's audience and this forum as well); but once you dismiss those posts, and read them in their corresponding 13-yr old voice, you can find some decent substance. And some solid vegan recipes to boot.

Don't forget to put on your big boy pants.

·
Registered
40 Posts

The question is somebody getting wrecked, and their family suing the resort and then the legal repercussions coming from that. If you think you can't sue a resort because you 'signed' a waiver... think again. You CAN and the repercussions go far beyond the specific event.

Now... the majority of this thread is littered with the typical pseudo-highschool jock-UFC-type trash talk americans are well known for (which is the majority of YouTube's audience and this forum as well); but once you dismiss those posts, and read them in their corresponding 13-yr old voice, you can find some decent substance. And some solid vegan recipes to boot.

Yeah, I know they are not. It was the hypothetical 'If'. I don't expect anyone from SBPC to ever sue a resort, but if someone stacks in a major way, then who could predict what they would do if faced with crippling medical bills.
Canadians actually have healthcare, more or less. certainly better than anything in the USA. Yes, I know people can and do sue resorts at the drop of a hat. Yes, I know it has cascading effects.
we are actually on the same page. miscommunication not withstanding. BB pants already on mate. 😊

you can rely on old mate Kev for sniffing out the vegan eating options in any resort. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
789 Posts

Silly canadian:poop:

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Yeah, I know they are not. It was the hypothetical 'If'. I don't expect anyone from SBPC to ever sue a resort, but if someone stacks in a major way, then who could predict what they would do if faced with crippling medical bills.
Canadians actually have healthcare, more or less. certainly better than anything in the USA. Yes, I know people can and do sue resorts at the drop of a hat. Yes, I know it has cascading effects.
we are actually on the same page. miscommunication not withstanding. BB pants already on mate. 😊

you can rely on old mate Kev for sniffing out the vegan eating options in any resort. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah I know what you mean. Also when I said YOU suing the resorts, I mean general you. Because that's exactly what happens. We don't get to hear much about it because it's usually kept quiet.

I guess nobody goes out planning to wreck themselves and sue a resort. But... some dude hits an area he shouldn't have... even though the same area was fine 2 weeks ago, he can ride 'blacks' and he was riding with a buddy... gets wrecked. Dude's a tourist and his insurance doesn't cover X or Y... it's not him pushing to sue the resort. It's mom and dad because now THEY have to foot the bill, and they want somebody to pay.

Or kid gets ghosted in a tree well... now mom and dad will certainly sue the resort. No ifs about it.

Or a grown up, even with health insurance to cover the medical bills. BUT now he can't work.... mom and dad, girlfriend, wife still need to pay the rent. So they sue the resort.

In the end the resort might still win the court case, or they might settle. In any case it kinda sucks and once something goes to court, it's a big investigation with lots of questions, etc. because at that point it's in lawyers' hands... not in the hands of snowboarders of the internet... big boy pants or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fuck. They just shot an episode at Stevens Pass and hyped it up as a good place to hit on the epic pass. Changed my mind, I agree with the above posters now. We can't handle his traffic.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
Fuck. They just shot an episode at Stevens Pass and hyped it up as a good place to hit on the epic pass. Changed my mind, I agree with the above posters now. We can't handle his traffic.
Awesome. Gonna go leave them a Thumbs up, comment and share on that video.

Hopefully they do Breck and Vail soon.

Edit - Ohh there were 2 videos at Stevens. Solid 'Like' on both. Plus comment for more resorts from the States.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I saw that Stevens Pass video. The conditions there looked awesome but noticed the locals had no gear with them and I doubt the SPC guys did either in their small backpacks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Inbounds avy gear doesn't make sense to me either. The reason you pay for that ticket is to have the resort make sure they mitigate the risk.

If the resort is on high alert for inbounds avalanches, then they should probably have those trails closed off. I know shit happens, but the reason resorts in CO do so much explosive mitigation of risk is since that's the expectation.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Inbounds avy gear doesn't make sense to me either. The reason you pay for that ticket is to have the resort make sure they mitigate the risk.

If the resort is on high alert for inbounds avalanches, then they should probably have those trails closed off. I know shit happens, but the reason resorts in CO do so much explosive mitigation of risk is since that's the expectation.
I pay for the magic couches.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

161 - 180 of 197 Posts