Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's still very early in the season here and only one hill is open and it's mostly a park hill. I took my oldest and his friend today and I actually got a ton of runs in.

I hit my 1st major rail, I have ridden some small ones nothing like this. Took nearly all day to get to the end of the feature but I did it a few times. I need to center my weight more as I slid off to my front side (goofy rider) after the dropped curve and I keep looking down at the feature not to the end of the feature. Still fun. I really wanted to hit that down rail above the rail I rode in the pic. Didn't have the stones to try quite yet, soon but not yet.

I was also able to practice on one of the boxes. I did my very 1st boardslide, boardslide FS 180 out and frontboards :thumbsup: I was so stoked when I nailed them and they actually looked good. Wish my boy got some pics but we were concentrating mainly on riding today and didn't shoot many pics.

Here is a pic of the park again. The box and rail were on the far left side of the pic. I was thankful for the tow cable, sure beat walking this week. They did have a lift open but no pics of that run.

I was very excited to be able to do some of this. Huge hats off to Snowboard Addiction, they have truly helped my riding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
that sounds awesome! I'm in the same boat as you, being fairly new to jibbing. I envy you for having a hill like that to ride on, my local hill set up 2 boxes and 3 rails on the bunny hill.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
One thing about learning to Jib. You always need more speed than you think. I know it;s scary, but it actually makes it easier and harder to catch and fall. I get sometimes though you wanna take it slow, that's perfectly fine. I mean we all have lives and can't afford to get hurt. Just saying for learning Jibs it's surprising how much speed you need.

I also find it surprisingly easy to ollie up onto jibs. Did it my first try and never failed since. But it's always better to over pop a jib that under. :laugh: My idiot friend learned that one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks sick man, can't wait till my hill opens up. Sadly we're a very low income hill, so no making snow means later opening. Looks sick though.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You always need more speed than you think. I know it;s scary, but it actually makes it easier and harder to catch and fall. I get sometimes though you wanna take it slow, that's perfectly fine.
This is a good point. I did find riding that rail a little easier if I carried more speed. It was very warm today as well so the snow was very wet and slow. Hitting the box I found I needed a lot more speed as I slowed down way to much from the conditions.
I will try your input on our next outing. Baby steps for now :laugh:
Still stoked at the few, easy tricks I was able to nail. This is the start of my 3rd season so we will see how much more I can get on lock before our season ends.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ya, Jibbing is really fun without the just go for it method of spins and jumps. You really can work your way up. With spins it's like, OK you can 180 (who can't :laugh:) Now you gotta go three off that 15 foot kicker. Oh OK, sounds pretty trial and error to me. Which I'm OK with, but it is still not to nice.

Fifteen might be exaggerating for most resorts, but not mine. It goes from moguls to 15 footers.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, Jibbing is really fun without the just go for it method of spins and jumps. You really can work your way up. With spins it's like, OK you can 180 (who can't :laugh:) Now you gotta go three off that 15 foot kicker. Oh OK, sounds pretty trial and error to me. Which I'm OK with, but it is still not to nice.

Fifteen might be exaggerating for most resorts, but not mine. It goes from moguls to 15 footers.
I am still dialing in 180's too :(

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Well I'm talking about flat land. On jumps they are honestly harder than threes until you get to fives. No worries man, I haven't even learned to butter yet.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Me too. Tried my 3rd box and caught an edge because I leaned too much on a 5-0. Got a cervical strain and had to go to the ER. Lesson learned. Never lean on a box.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You psych yourself out for days to hit a feature and when you do... psshhhh, shoulda been hitting that bitch a month ago. Don't think too much about it and hit it. All too often am I pissed at myself for how easy something was that I'd been sketching about for weeks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You psych yourself out for days to hit a feature and when you do... psshhhh, shoulda been hitting that bitch a month ago. Don't think too much about it and hit it. All too often am I pissed at myself for how easy something was that I'd been sketching about for weeks.
Exactly!

Been 3 years since i snowboarded and just got into again.
Could throw a couple of tricks, and i HOPE i can still do them!

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,891 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Unfortunately true

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday was a bit weird. The snow conditions changed hourly. Very warm and wet and the snow would get very clumpy as well. I made the best of what it was but made it difficult to dial in the speed. I know I'm still a bit on the slow side, I need to carry just a bit more speed and all will be good in the universe :D

Still very happy with what I did, and wish I had a few pics or video. Oh well that will come soon, if we ever get some FRICK'in cold weather to open the hills. Damn next weekend is Dec....

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,891 Posts
I'm fairly jealous right now :) . Haven't been up the mountain yet, although I'm supposed to be going tomorrow. Seymour has one park open, but it's not the beginner park so it may be beyond me.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the same said hill 2 weeks ago, everyone wants the season to start. Like I posted before this wasn't even the most crowded that it was, just when I was able to snap a pic.

This place is awesome at customer service. They do everything possible for their guests, IE making snow and putting out features and opening as early as possible.
Hats of to Tyrol Basin

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
i feel the same way.. you psych yourself out for days and when you finally hit it you either build to confidence to do it again, or you're surprised with how little bailing on that trick actually hurts. I remember when I tried my first 3 and bailed hard... but then it barely hurt so i built up the confidence to try it over and over again..

can't say the same for jibs though.. bailing off jibs fucking hurt...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
hey slyder,i've thought about trying some park this year too and i even bought the azzpad to minimize the pain of falling on my ass since i'm in my 40's and can't afford to get hurt.but i guess you inspire me man lol!

·
Registered
108 Posts

You could go into the backcountry or anouther location and build your own :p

It's nice when the resort builds the perfect jumps or rails, but if you want something perfect for you to learn and progress on, then this is how to do it. My jumping history is as follows. Built a half foot high kicker to start, added a few inches, a few more, a few more, a few more - seeing what I'm getting at? :) Add to that a lovely dumping of fresh pow to land in when things don't go wonderfully and you'll progress so much faster.

·
With extra cheese.
1,750 Posts
One thing I was told about jibbing that I've always kept in mind when I start biffing it is cracking the right height on your ollie makes things a LOT easier. Obviously, if you don't clear it it makes it hard to jib a rail, box or bar, but rolling up a huge hit means you land a lot harder and makes locking in more difficult. This is really true when you start to hit street style rails or skinny bars. Landing softly can make slaying the entire length much more doable. Speed helps, like Thunder was saying, but after you build confidence. Speed also lets you get away with landing a little harder.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts