Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
2,316 Posts
I'm interested to see the difference in classification of black diamond runs between different resorts. Specifically I'm interested in comparing the steepness of midwest/eastcoast black diamonds with "Western" mountains. I did notice when I was at Timberline, that the runs off the top chairlift weren't very steep for being black diamonds.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I know Tahoe resorts blue diamonds were like socal blacks. And that ws northstar which is called flatstar by most locals, so it's even worse at the other resorts.

I went down a double black (Geronimo) at bear mountain, which was easier than their single black. Odd.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
so this little hill near me (perfect north slopes)was where i did my first "black diamond". i was 12, and on skis (blegh), and it scared the living piss out of me. so of course, one of my wonderful siblings pushed me off the top and let me go on my merry way... on my face/butt/back/knees, etc. i can't really remember that day very well...

anyway, the first time on a snowboard was this year (my first season) at the same place. after 3 or 4 visits, i was linking turns etc. and getting better fast and also getting bored with some of the other runs. so, i went and tried this black diamond. after about 2 hours or so, i was totally making that slope my bitch.

A few weeks back, i went up to Sunday River with my brother & some of his friends for a week. (best brother in the world, even paid for my flight :D) by the end of the first day, i could do the greens with proficiency, and was starting to explore some easy blues. about the 4th day, he and his friends had me go down a moderate black diamond. nothing special. day 6 i was bombing down em for fun and even doing some of the easier double blacks.

lol... the only real injuries that i got were from the park and one incident where i unknowingly went down a run with a small cliff (5-10') at about the middle, and the landing was... not so good of a landing, if you could call it that. :laugh:

next year, i'm goin back to perfect north and im gonna rape that mountain all up and down the midwest. :thumbsup:

/storypost.
I would certainly hope you can go down the blacks at P-north. It is 400 vertical feet. The bunny slope at Keystone is bigger...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I know Tahoe resorts blue diamonds were like socal blacks. And that ws northstar which is called flatstar by most locals, so it's even worse at the other resorts.

I went down a double black (Geronimo) at bear mountain, which was easier than their single black. Odd.
Which black have you tried at northstar? The ones at Sierra scared the shit out of me..

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Which black have you tried at northstar? The ones at Sierra scared the shit out of me..
I rode most of the mountain. It was in January so the snow was crap. cement, historically dry month. But It was just fine. it's my fiance who is very timid so that kind of ruined it. I should have left her at the bottom. She's been boarding way longer in Tahoe but is timid since her coworker busted his whole body up so that's that.

But yeah, I came down all over the mountain, including the back side (which was very fun). And that was on a crappy Technine Split T. I wish I had my SL at the time.

I have not rode Sierra except for my first time which was on the bunny slope at the very front. I was supposed to go tomorrow but my lady was sent home from up there from work, so I missed out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I rode most of the mountain. It was in January so the snow was crap. cement, historically dry month. But It was just fine. it's my fiance who is very timid so that kind of ruined it. I should have left her at the bottom. She's been boarding way longer in Tahoe but is timid since her coworker busted his whole body up so that's that.

But yeah, I came down all over the mountain, including the back side (which was very fun). And that was on a crappy Technine Split T. I wish I had my SL at the time.

I have not rode Sierra except for my first time which was on the bunny slope at the very front. I was supposed to go tomorrow but my lady was sent home from up there from work, so I missed out.
I really want to try going to the backside, but i'm worried I might be too chicken! (my first season, i'm a girl), and I learned in jan this year, can you believe it.... basically every heel side edge i took was a "THUMP", ouch my tailbone was about to break into 658 pieces!!

But I gotta say, northstar is my favorite, i'm considering getting a season pass for next year. The blues are just right for me here, and I can hopefully progress to the backside!!

If you recall (Ax Handle) blue run, is it significantly steeper than that on the backside?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I really want to try going to the backside, but i'm worried I might be too chicken! (my first season, i'm a girl), and I learned in jan this year, can you believe it.... basically every heel side edge i took was a "THUMP", ouch my tailbone was about to break into 658 pieces!!

But I gotta say, northstar is my favorite, i'm considering getting a season pass for next year. The blues are just right for me here, and I can hopefully progress to the backside!!

If you recall (Ax Handle) blue run, is it significantly steeper than that on the backside?
Try Drifter for your first time down the backside at Northstar, it's a blue run near the top of the Zephyr lift. It's nice and long and wide. Once you master Drifter it's just a small step up to riding the black runs on the backside.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Try Drifter for your first time down the backside at Northstar, it's a blue run near the top of the Zephyr lift. It's nice and long and wide. Once you master Drifter it's just a small step up to riding the black runs on the backside.
Did you happen to sit next to me on a chairlift? A guy told me the same thing!! I will try it next time. He swore up and down that it's very similar to the Ax Handle!

·
Registered
121 Posts
My first time was at breck. i missed the cat walk my buddy took and didn't feel like unbinding and walking up hill. So i went for didn't look to steep figured i could cut out of it didn't realize i was stuck in a pack of four small black runs in the middle. Made it about half way down ate shit and pretty much slid the rest of the way. All in all it was fun id do it again rather then walking back up.

·
Registered
922 Posts
i dont remember my first time, even though it had to have been within the last 6 weeks. blacks dont really scare me..theyre just steeper, so i kip the tip pointed down and rock the fuck out. that being said, these are east coast blacks, so they probably translate to western blues.The only thing I want no part of is moguls.. but then again, I can already feel myself drifting towards being a park rider. Riding trails kinda bores me, and there really isn't any backcountry riding around here to speak of.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'm interested to see the difference in classification of black diamond runs between different resorts. Specifically I'm interested in comparing the steepness of midwest/eastcoast black diamonds with "Western" mountains. I did notice when I was at Timberline, that the runs off the top chairlift weren't very steep for being black diamonds.
the other thing to consider is how much snow coverage there is, a double black can be a rocky bastard at one point in the season but with a ass load of pow it can be all good later on. so even the same resort, same run can be very different and maybe not deserve its black status some of the time.

interesting question all the same.

my approach is just scope it out first if you can, take it slow... and keep knees bent :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
5,739 Posts
the other thing to consider is how much snow coverage there is, a double black can be a rocky bastard at one point in the season but with a ass load of pow it can be all good later on.
So very true. A black with a lot of new snow can be a joy to ride on. Once it's chopped up, it can rattle your teeth loose. In fact I think the problem is more pronounced on steeper runs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at a smaller local hill with a group of friends with very mixed skill levels. Third or fourth time out boarding, so I was fine sticking to the greens. Cute girl was out on her first day on a board, and she was going to go with the friends who were going to try out a black. Couldn't say no to that..

Linked about two turns, and heard the cries of 'yeah!' from my friends... before I caught a heel edge at the edge of the run and did an impromptu back flip off the side. Turned out there was a nice steep side slope that went down for about 15 feet. I can just picture myself dropping from view and totally disappearing.

I was glad there was about a foot of nice powder down the entire way - took forever to get out of there though ><

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
It was my first night on a snowboard EVER at the Snow King in Jackson. It was me and one other noob boarder with two skiers.

After about 2-3 runs on a blue, they put us on a black that ran straight down the face of the hill and just about emptied into the parking lot.

Needless to say, I learned very quickly how to hold a heel edge and toe edge in order to keep from tumbling down the slope to my doom.

My poor thighs and calves burned the entire time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It was my first night on a snowboard EVER at the Snow King in Jackson. It was me and one other noob boarder with two skiers.

After about 2-3 runs on a blue, they put us on a black that ran straight down the face of the hill and just about emptied into the parking lot.

Needless to say, I learned very quickly how to hold a heel edge and toe edge in order to keep from tumbling down the slope to my doom.

My poor thighs and calves burned the entire time.
I remember doing that... not black, but when i just learned, friend forced me to go down a blue, except that it was 5 miles long, 5 freakn miles long, on your heel edge....talked about BURNED!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
My first time going down a black diamond was during an intermediate lesson. I asked the instructor to teach me how to handle choppy bumpy terrain, and he took me all over the mountain. Started with a green run, then a few blue runs. After a few of those, he took me to a *mogul black diamond* :eek:

We had built up a sort of "bag of tricks" on how to do the bumpy blue runs... hop turns, dynamic turns, etc.

So at the beginning of the black diamond run, he told me to try to do hop turns. It was just uncool :laugh: I hopped off a bump and bounced off another and landed on my ass... got up, started, launched off a bump before I could turn...

He gave up on the hop turns and told me to just focus on staying square, watching the terrain and planning the turns around the moguls. I did a lot better for the rest of the run and made it down!

Later on, I tried a normal black diamond run with a friend and I was surprised that I could manage it... albeit cautiously.

I eventually got to the point where I was thinking "if you don't fall, you're not pushing yourself." Also, I used to get really freaked out staring over a slope, but after riding it, it would seem manageable.

So I went on some steeper blacks (i get this feeling that blacks are soooooo varied even at the same resort), and there was this one run, where I fell, and just kept sliding, and sliding and couldn't stop :laugh: I just remember thinking "hmmm... how do I stop. without digging the board in and flipping onto your face" xD I thought those kind of steeps were designated double blacks, but apparently there line between the two is kind of murky xD

Then again, it was a really straight run with no rocks or cornices or other strange things, so who knows.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts