Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disregarding money/cost of living, what would be the best town to live (in your opinion) for a winter to have the best snowboard season possible? Season just ended near me, dreaming of next winter...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably Jackson Hole if money were no object. Amazing resort with pretty reliable heavy snowfall and access to massive amounts of BC terrain. If money were an issue, as Jackson is stupid expensive now, I'd search out a smaller, lesser well known mountain in WY or ID like Silver Mountain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would do one of these:

• SLC due to snow quantity/quality and the number of nearby resorts
  • Bend, OR - Bachelor has lots of terrain, lots of snow, a long season, and Bend is a fun town
  • Jackson - JHMR. Plus Grand Targhee gets great snow.

If you open it up to North America, then I would also throw Whistler into the mix.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I am biased towards actual cities (let's say at least ~50k people), so I couldn't do say Mammoth or Jackson Hole, even if the riding would be epic.

Bachelor is a great mountain and Bend is a a fun town/city. Not too big, not too close to any major metros. Asian food kind of sucks (outside of Wild Rose, which is an incredible Thai restaurant).

Salt Lake City metro is probably tops for a true urban environment. Unparalleled resort access. But I really don't like the vibe of that city. Utah living aside, the layout of that city is whack. But if I was focused strictly on snowboarding, I could suck it up for a season.

Bozeman looks promising, although I haven't made my way out to Montana yet.

·
Veteran Member
11,566 Posts
Bozeman is rad. You can't go wrong there. Both Big Sky and Bridger Bowl are legit ski areas. Lots of rowdy terrain. The backcountry around the area is amazing. Beehive basin is world class. Hyalite canyon is great. If you get a snowmobile (recommended) there are a ton of amazing spots you can get to with a 5-10 mile brap. The town is fun, has good restaurants, but it is also not stoopid crowded like Salt Lake City aka Wasangeles. You don't really sit in traffic much in Bozeman. They can get some ridiculous cold snaps. Two years ago while I was there for splitfest, the temps never got above zero the five days I was there. The day I left, my truck was reading -29F. It was fine when you were moving, but the second you stopped, it got cold fast.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
hard question. I might say Jackson WY but I've never been there in winter. As far as places I have been but could never afford, I might say Aspen, CO. billionaires everywhere, so I wouldn't fit in at all, but 3 good mountains. YMMV

·
Registered
123 Posts
Has to be Alaska, splitting and heli-riding. But never for a entire winter. There are so many sweet spots to ride all over this planet that I would never stay at just one place for a whole season.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has to be Alaska, splitting and heli-riding. But never for a entire winter. There are so many sweet spots to ride all over this planet that I would never stay at just one place for a whole season.
How do you find people to ride with if you're always changing locations? I always prefer riding with a crew rather than solo.

·
Veteran Member
11,566 Posts
Living somewhere with great riding doesn't preclude you from visiting other spots. Salt Lake, Bozeman, and most other places have airports or easy drives to other great spots. I have found my little slice of heaven, but I definitely visit other places when Covid is not an issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What? Sooo.. your friends don’t travel?
I always travel with my gf or a friend. And I have never had a problem meeting new people too ride with either. And sometimes the best thing ever is riding alone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts