Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think they're too bad but I want to get some feedback. There is a lot of different information out there.

Getting pretty much a whole new set up this season. Pictured is a Yes Typo 158 (waist is 25.3). Union Force large. Boots are size 10. I am switching to a 10 wide boot.

Let me know if I should be concern about the overhang.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I don't think boot overhang is going to be a problem unless you're a eurocarving guy.

Personally I would look at smaller bindings for that board... because I don't like bindings sticking out. Either a wider board 159W? Or smaller bindings?

Size chart at Union says you should be at medium bindings

·
Registered
135 Posts
Agreed, with a size 10 you shouldn't need a wide board unless you are super into deep carves but denn you would need like a 27cm waist board or more so I'd say you are probably fine.

Regarding the binding-overhang; I don't think you would have to worry about anything here the it's only the soft part of the binding/aka the cushioning which overhangs a bit. However; A size L binding for a size 10 boot is too big with most boot/bindings but this depends on the models of course. It does look good lengt-wise, how do the bindings fit width-wise?

·
Registered
176 Posts
That binding overhang will not be a problem. I’m not 100% sure since it’s a photo but your boots may even touch the snow before that part sticking out and that’ll be at a crazy steep angle.
As to whether the binding size is good I have no idea. I’m not that familiar with Unions. I don’t think that 10 boots in a large binding is inappropriate but again: not familiar with Union sizes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I don't think boot overhang is going to be a problem unless you're a eurocarving guy.

Personally I would look at smaller bindings for that board... because I don't like bindings sticking out. Either a wider board 159W? Or smaller bindings?

Size chart at Union says you should be at medium bindings
I do like to put my hand on the ground on the toe side at times. When the mountain is clear. Not Ryan Knapton forearm or anything like that.

I bought the large cause I got a deal on them. Also cause I was right on the cusp at 10 and will be wearing a wide boot this season. These narrow nike boots are squeezing both sides of the binding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, with a size 10 you shouldn't need a wide board unless you are super into deep carves but denn you would need like a 27cm waist board or more so I'd say you are probably fine.

Regarding the binding-overhang; I don't think you would have to worry about anything here the it's only the soft part of the binding/aka the cushioning which overhangs a bit. However; A size L binding for a size 10 boot is too big with most boot/bindings but this depends on the models of course. It does look good lengt-wise, how do the bindings fit width-wise?
Thanks. This really helps.
In another post I made, I asked if the a 10 wide should use a large or medium binding since it is right there on the cusp and should a wider foot bed be considered. Most folks said it shouldn't matter. I got the large, well, cause I got a deal and I like them:). That being said, these very narrow Nike boots have a slight squeeze in the back of the binding. My wide boots haven't arrive yet. However, I will hold on to all receipts until then. Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Overhang doesn't look bad at all, but like others mentioned I would try a medium bindings before committing to the large.

Congrats on the new setup, I bet it's going to rip!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd go with medium bindings also. My rule of thumb is go with the smallest size binding that fits your boot, so in this case I think a medium should fit your size 10's.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That binding overhang will not be a problem. I’m not 100% sure since it’s a photo but your boots may even touch the snow before that part sticking out and that’ll be at a crazy steep angle.
As to whether the binding size is good I have no idea. I’m not that familiar with Unions. I don’t think that 10 boots in a large binding is inappropriate but again: not familiar with Union sizes.
As soon as the board sinks into the snow it's going to touch the baseplate, is my guess. Is it going to make any difference at all? Probably not.

I do like to put my hand on the ground on the toe side at times. When the mountain is clear. Not Ryan Knapton forearm or anything like that.

I bought the large cause I got a deal on them. Also cause I was right on the cusp at 10 and will be wearing a wide boot this season. These narrow nike boots are squeezing both sides of the binding.
I don't think the toe and heel overhang will be a problem. If you're worried I think you could manage a wider board, but I personally don't think there's much reason to have super wide boards. I have more of a problem finding narrower boards to match my weight.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks. This really helps.
In another post I made, I asked if the a 10 wide should use a large or medium binding since it is right there on the cusp and should a wider foot bed be considered. Most folks said it shouldn't matter. I got the large, well, cause I got a deal and I like them:). That being said, these very narrow Nike boots have a slight squeeze in the back of the binding. My wide boots haven't arrive yet. However, I will hold on to all receipts until then. Thanks!
cheers ;)
Well most wide boots aren't really wider in the heel than regular boots - they are just wider in the forefoot and even there just a few mm... That beeing said you just have to check yours when they arrive. Which model did you order?
Unions are narrower in the heelcup than for example Burton so maybe you really need an L but it's hard to judge from the pictures. I personally always try to fit into the smallest binding possible because it's usually just a better (snuger) fit and it's lighter as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd go with medium bindings also. My rule of thumb is go with the smallest size binding that fits your boot, so in this case I think a medium should fit your size 10's.
Think a wide 10 will fit in a medium binding? I think I'm going to buy a medium binding and test both out, once I get the new boot. According to my last post, someone mentioned that most companies use the same shell for 10 and 10.5, the size difference in the liner. Wondering if that is the same for wides.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cheers ;)
Well most wide boots aren't really wider in the heel than regular boots - they are just wider in the forefoot and even there just a few mm... That beeing said you just have to check yours when they arrive. Which model did you order?
Unions are narrower in the heelcup than for example Burton so maybe you really need an L but it's hard to judge from the pictures. I personally always try to fit into the smallest binding possible because it's usually just a better (snuger) fit and it's lighter as well.
Oh you somewhat answered my question for Easyrider17.
Yeah going to get both size bindings and check it out. Will be sad to lose the discount of the current binding (and the Union team High Back 😎).
I ordered the Ride Lasso Pro wide.
That is funny cause I did have a pair of Burton Cartel size large. Those appear to be roomier to the boots. Those had overhang too, but this time around I really want to get the perfect set-up.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I didn't realise Ride added an official wide model, awesome! Have you measured your foot properly to determine size? Did you try them on? I'm surprised you're going from a 10 Nike to a 10 Ride wide, usually when people go to a wide boot it's because they have upsized in a regular boot to account for width. I'd bet money you could make at least a 9.5 or even a 9 boot work. In any case, even at a 10, the Ride should have a much lower profile build than old Nikes, I'm adding to the 'You should get a medium binding' chorus.

Reactions: fzst

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh you somewhat answered my question for Easyrider17.
Yeah going to get both size bindings and check it out. Will be sad to lose the discount of the current binding (and the Union team High Back 😎).
That is funny cause I did have a pair of Burton Cartel size large. Those appear to be roomier to the boots. Those had overhang too, but this time around I really want to get the perfect set-up.
I don't kow the Ride Lassos but Ride boots in general are really narrow in the heel. I have a ride Fuse and it is actually too narrow for my Burton size M bindings, size 9 though.
Well if you got a really good deal on the bindings you can of course keep them nothing wrong with bindings that are slightly too big - it surely works but a size M would probably be a better fit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The more important question is; did you order the wide model in the same size as your current boots? If so you most certainly have the wrong bootsize. You shouldn't be able to fit in a regular aka narrow bootmodel that has the same size as your correct bootsize if you truly have wide feet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I didn't realise Ride added an official wide model, awesome! Have you measured your foot properly to determine size? Did you try them on? I'm surprised you're going from a 10 Nike to a 10 Ride wide, usually when people go to a wide boot it's because they have upsized in a regular boot to account for width. I'd bet money you could make at least a 9.5 or even a 9 boot work. In any case, even at a 10, the Ride should have a much lower profile build than old Nikes, I'm adding to the 'You should get a medium binding' chorus.
Exactly, I could size down 1 whole size when I realised that I have wide feet and I'm "only" a E-width

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't realise Ride added an official wide model, awesome!
I'm surprised you're going from a 10 Nike to a 10 Ride wide,
Yeah! they are new to the Ride line.
So story time! haha. I did originally start at 10.5 and then switch to the 10s in order to get smaller footprint and more snug fit. That was a bad idea. Nikes are narrow and I am too wide for a 10 (I wear 11 sneakers to manage the width). Recently, I went to a local shop and tried a bunch of boots in many sizes. The Ride Lasso (10.5) were defo my favorite! Very plush and comfy. They didn't have wide though. But I knew that the wides were coming soon. I ordered them and they been on back order. But are coming this week! and I ordered 10 and 9.5.

If they don't work out the K2 Maysis wide may be a back up plan.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts