Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah! they are new to the Ride line.
So story time! haha. I did originally start at 10.5 and then switch to the 10s in order to get smaller footprint and more snug fit. That was a bad idea. Nikes are narrow and I am too wide for a 10 (I wear 11 sneakers to manage the width). Recently, I went to a local shop and tried a bunch of boots in many sizes. The Ride Lasso (10.5) were defo my favorite! Very plush and comfy. They didn't have wide though. But I knew that the wides were coming soon. I ordered them and they been on back order. But are coming this week! and I ordered 10 and 9.5.

If they don't work out the K2 Maysis wide may be a back up plan.
Sounds good then(y)
Did you ever measure your feet though?

·
Premium Member
3,020 Posts
Yeah! they are new to the Ride line.
So story time! haha. I did originally start at 10.5 and then switch to the 10s in order to get smaller footprint and more snug fit. That was a bad idea. Nikes are narrow and I am too wide for a 10 (I wear 11 sneakers to manage the width). Recently, I went to a local shop and tried a bunch of boots in many sizes. The Ride Lasso (10.5) were defo my favorite! Very plush and comfy. They didn't have wide though. But I knew that the wides were coming soon. I ordered them and they been on back order. But are coming this week! and I ordered 10 and 9.5.

If they don't work out the K2 Maysis wide may be a back up plan.
Good planning getting the 10 and 9.5!

I've found Ride and K2 to offer a slightly wider fit, or at least the best fit for my foot. I'm an 11 sneaker too, started with 11 ThirtyTwos, went to size 10 Burtons and Ride, then 9.5 Ride and K2, and now I can make a size 9 Ride Fuse work... My foot measure 27.8 long so I really should be in a 10 or 9.5 max, but when you find that right boot with the magic fit it's so damn good. I have literally zero foot movement in the size 9, but somehow it's not pressured or squished anywhere, only pure support hah. Hope the fit works for you!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sounds good then(y)
Did you ever measure your feet though?
I did when I tried on all the boots. However they didn't have the real measuring tool with the levers. My toes stopped at the 9.5 marker and the tool that had did not have a width measurement. I can tell you that I defo have wide feet, no questions. For running shoes, I was measured at 10.5 wide. Sometimes my extra foot slab leaks out of those.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good planning getting the 10 and 9.5!

I'm an 11 sneaker too, started with 11 ThirtyTwos, went to size 10 Burtons and Ride, then 9.5 Ride and K2, and now I can make a size 9 Ride Fuse work.
Wow that's quite the progression! I tried the fuse. The wrap liner did not go around my calf. I think you're starting to get a picture of my stature. I know, I have a high in-step too. Tried a few Adidas boots (people mentioned adidas have wide fit). While the width worked the pressure down on the top of my foot made it unbearable. Guess everyones feet are unique Haha.

If the 9.5 work out, definitely going to medium bindings.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As soon as the board sinks into the snow it's going to touch the baseplate, is my guess. Is it going to make any difference at all? Probably not.
I'm not sure I agree. The part that overhangs on the toe side is quite elevated (not in direct contact with the board itself). It'll need to sink by a lot to have it touch and if it happens, the snow'll be quite soft and it won't make a difference (that's the part I'm with you on).

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm not sure I agree. The part that overhangs on the toe side is quite elevated (not in direct contact with the board itself). It'll need to sink by a lot to have it touch and if it happens, the snow'll be quite soft and it won't make a difference (that's the part I'm with you on).
Maybe you are right. I can’t really tell by the picture. I thought it looked kinda low on the heel side. It would bother me but I’m thinking it wouldn’t really matter, just like you said.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe you are right. I can’t really tell by the picture. I thought it looked kinda low on the heel side. It would bother me but I’m thinking it wouldn’t really matter, just like you said.
And mabye I'm not. I'm going from what I gather from the pictures, same as you... there'll always be uncertainties unless we can see it in person. shakes hands

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a size 11 boot and have used those same Union Team force size M and they fit fine, so the medium will fit. Of course if those bindings aren't getting in the way no harm no foul. It's only a problem.... if it becomes a problem... With size 10 you don't need a wide board. Of course all boards are different, I will say stay above 252 MM typically. If a board had a 158 regular with a 252 WW and a 158W with a 260 thats a judgement call. Look at the 2 link below. One is me taking extensive pics of my 157 Board with a 254WW, size 11 boot, and Union Team force M. They fit fine. Other is my green LArge union Force on my 159 evil twin with 256WW.

157 with 254WW

·
Registered
220 Posts
159 with size Large with 256, scroll down

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
159 with size Large with 256, scroll down

Nice! Thanks. I think I am getting suaded by everyone to medium binding. Going order them and see which is best with the wide boots. Sad to lose the Team high back and discount
but need to get everything perfect this time around.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice! Thanks. I think I am getting suaded by everyone to medium binding. Going order them and see which is best with the wide boots. Sad to lose the Team high back and discount
but need to get everything perfect this time around.
I think you’ll be fine. If your not worried about returning the bindings just wait to try them out. If you don’t notice it’s not a problem .

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently moved from a 10.5 regular size boot down to a 9.5 wide K2 Maysis, and I'm not switching to medium bindings. I have Union Travis Rice and Union Forces. The 9.5 wide fits snug east to west in the larges, and it would appear to me with the heal cup adjustments that moving the heal cup to 0 would be similar to having the heal cup set to 2 on the medium. So I moved my heal cups all the way in, and turned the disks vertical to be able to move the bindings all the way toe side to get everything centered. You also have the two settings for the toe strap. At this point I have no plans to buy medium bindings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh good to hear. Thanks for sharing the pic. Are you riding a wide board? From your picks, the bindings are don't appear to have any over hang.
I am because I've always had size 10.5 or 11 boots by mistake, which has led to always owning wide boards. I weigh 240, so I'm not going to change to a normal width board just because I've dropped to a size 9.5 either. Most wide boards are barely a centimeter or 2 wider than normal, and I've been riding them my entire life.

The heal cup extends out about 1", and the front of the bindings are almost flush with the sidecut which gives my boots about half to three quarters of an inch overhang.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here’s the thing about overhang.... put a piece of paper under your snowboard and strap in your boot. Now mark the Board base under your boot and the toe of your boot. That’s your overhang in a numerical sense. It’s widely accepted 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch is acceptable/ perfect overhang. Generally you want a little for leverage. I just just did this with my 159 Evil Twin with 256WW and size 11 boot. I had 3/4 inch overhang on my heel, and 1/2 on my toe, Perfect!!! Why did I post this?? I have over looked so many boards that were 254WW because i thought it was to narrow. 1mm less on each side will not be noticeable. I think we obsess a little to much, myself included

With 25.3 width and size 10 your perfect size. Now the binding is way closer to the snow, so COULD become a prob but very doubtful

·
Registered
131 Posts
The thing with boot overhang is the same as with pretty much everything; it depends...😅 :rolleyes:

I used boots in the 10.5-11 sizerange pretty much my whole snowboarding life just because I'm an idiot and didn't realise that I actually was a size 9.5E🙄
So that forced me to always be super anal about researching the waist widths of boards I was interested in. I mostly still rode regular width boards though just because the wide boards which were available 10 years ago pretty much all sucked 😅 And yes; It worked out for the most part. I remember riding my Burton Uninc over 10 years ago with size 11 boots... that thing had a WW of 249mm !
Also, back then boots were a lot bulkier than today but it still worked. It just felt a little more reactive / almost twitchy compared to the wider boards I had and in soft snow I occasionally booted out when the board sank in too much, that's why I generally looked for boards with a WW of at least 255mm.
So you just have to ask yourself how intense you want to ride / carve, if you just want to ride "casually" on groomers, even a size 11 would be fine on a 250 WW 99% of the time.

For me personally the bigger problem with narrow boards was the feeling that I was overpowering the board on the heel-to-toeside movements, like I was putting too much pressure on the edges with even the slightest movements. That was probably just due to the fact that I was riding wider boards my whole life and got used to it, that's why I still prefer boards with a WW of 255-260 even though I could ride a board with a 250 WW no problem, especially with my adidas boots which are tiny!
I have a custom X 156 with a WW of 252mm and even though I never come close to booting out on regular groomers I still wish it was a tad wider, I can definately feel the difference to wider boards like my Capita DOA 155 wide which has a WW of 25.8mm and feels way more comfortable. That's all preference and habit of course, I would say with a size 10 boot you should be able to ride any board with a WW over 250mm if your boot is not super bulky and you are not into super deep carving.

Regarding bindings: When I had size 10.5 or 11 boots, they would usually sell me L bindings in the shop - just to be safe:cautious: but I quickly learned that you shouldn't necessarily trust the guys in the shop and just try yourself if something works or not. I found that even a size 11 boot would fit in most M bindings ( I mostly had Burton boots). Size 11 is tricky and you have to try it but size 10.5 or 10 it's no question for me: you should be able to fit in a size M (there are always exceptions of course).
That being said, it's not that bad to use a size L binding, you just have to check if the width does not leave too much of a gap causing your boot to slide around in the bindings. The length can usually be adjusted just fine - if your binding has an adjustable heelcup and toeramp. You also have to check if you are able to center your boot properly over the board - which can be difficult with L bindings and a smaller boot.
Last season I rode my brothers board (Custom158 wide) which had size large Cartels (reflex) on it and I was really surprised how damp the bindings felt compared to my size M frankenbinders (Burton Diode baseplate with Cartel highback and Malavita straps) - it was pretty amazing. Mind you, I don't know if that was just because of the different baseplate and anklestraps (his Cartels are from around 2015 I think) but I'm pretty sure it was simply because the bindings were bigger and therefore there was just more baseplatematerial (BTW: IMO that's the reason why Burton EST bindings feel more responsive than their reflex counterpart) and maybe because of the bigger straps. On the other hand they were way less "reactive / lively" than mine (probably because of the carbon baseplate) and of course the fit with my size 9.5 adidas boots was really bad, I could feel my boots slide around and the straps were too big.
The dampness really got me though!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I just just did this with my 159 Evil Twin with 256WW and size 11 boot. I had 3/4 inch overhang on my heel, and 1/2 on my toe, Perfect!!! Why did I post this??
Haha. Don't worry. When I first post this I didn't think so many would chime in. But look at us now. We're like a sub community of people who have 9.5-11 boots and had to make board/binding consideration. This is a safe no judge place 😇. Thanks. i'll get all both bindings and consider your overhang info

21 - 40 of 42 Posts