Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to attempt one final try at waxing my own boards. I

I've watched countless videos but they are all pretty repetitive (because it's really not that complicated).
My specific issue is getting all the excess wax off. I use my plastic scraper from tail to tip in long strokes. I do this for a long time. Then I use a green pad, then a nylon brush. Then wipe with a rag.
When I'm all done it still has patches of wax. Once when I was riding and frustrated at my speed compared to my buddy he looked at my board and "it's your wax job". I saw a bunch of flattened out wax.
Recently a guy said I should use a spatula. I've searched for an attachment for my drill for buffing (like I saw a guy in a shop use).

So....how the heck can I get all my wax off and end up with a smopoth, glassy looking bottom?

Thanks !

·
Registered
982 Posts
Your not going to hurt it. Press down, flex the scraper and scrape it off.
The areas where wax likes to stay is, right under the bindings.

Also wax has temp ranges. Use wax per the snow conditions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It helps to sharpen your scraper before every scraping. Put a sheet of sandpaper flat on a table, and sand the scraper using something with a square edge like a book to keep a consistent angle on the edge. Even just a couple of passes on the sandpaper cleans off the old wax and gets the scraper edge factory sharp.

I also like to do some light passes with a brass and nylon brush right after scraping. You can feel and remove spots of excess wax this way, and it brings some of the base structure back out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly, maybe he's just faster than you. Except for some crazy extreme cases technique over wax any day.
Probably. But still my board was dragging and when we looked it had white, wax residue on the bottom. Supposedly, excess wax is no bueno.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,165 Posts
This whole subject gets SOOOO much OVER thinking done around it.🤷‍♂️ 😜😂.

I Seriously doubt your leaving enough wax ON the board to noticeably slow it down. Wrong wax for snow conditions? That could be. But residual wax...? Nah!

Either way, Stop melting a bunch of wax onto your board and scraping it off.

Search for the "Crayon" method of waxing. It's fast, it's easy, it works & you don't even need to scrape. And your block of wax will last damn near FOREVER!!!! 😜👍🏻😎

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If that's all true and you really do have pockets of wax visible on the board you're not using too much wax, you're DROWNING your board. Like 6-7+ times the amount of wax you need. Scraping is really only necessary to get rid of extreme excess wax. You need very little wax one line of small drips down each rail boom done. Crayon does sound liek the easiest way for you to instantly fix your problem as you can't really over crayon a board. But you should be able to figure out a drip wax still.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This last season, ive started just doing crayon method, going a little heavier near the edges, and then just skipping the scraping, by the end of the day the edges are all smoothed out and theres some residue in the middle, not the fastest out there, but I would say I bomb pretty fast and can keep up with most people. some people are in love with the whole waxing experience, while im just into the riding and HATE hotwaxing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I hot waxed both my boards. The white bottom board looks great but the real result is on my board with a black bottom.
I sparingly dripped the wax and spread it. You can see the photo from before I scraped. As usual I end up the white (wax I guess) all over the board. Mostly the bottom feels smooth. Any spots that were sticky I scraped again. I stopped scraping when I wasn't yielding much. I then used a green scrub pad and finish with a poly brush. I feel like if I had an attachment for my drill to buff it out I could get it to look great.

So...some responses said not to worry about some excess wax. Is that white stuff excess wax? Is it harmless as far as not slowing me down? Is that "good enough" or should it be completely black like after I bring it to a shop? Could the white be dry spots with no wax? Will that slow me down? Any tips on how to not have white when I'm done?

Thanx!

2 board wax.jpg
4 Board Wax.jpg 5 Hyak - wax.jpg
6 Hyak Wax.jpg
Anti Gravity & Flow.jpg 1 Before Scraping.jpg 3 Board Wax.jpg

·
Registered
386 Posts
Seems ok. Not sure why there’s white. I wax my sons black based skis and never looks like that (white). But I don’t use scrub pad. Straight to nylon brush and use it like a buffing pad. It gets glossy. Maybe skip the scrubby next time and tell us your results.

As far as what the white wax does for performance—probably nothing. But imo the last step helps keep the wax on the base. If I scrape and ride as others have suggested, the wax just seems to wear off faster. In fact, I will often re-buff with nylon brush after one day on the mountain and it shines right back up. So I’m waxing every two days.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I am about to attempt one final try at waxing my own boards. I

I've watched countless videos but they are all pretty repetitive (because it's really not that complicated).
My specific issue is getting all the excess wax off. I use my plastic scraper from tail to tip in long strokes. I do this for a long time. Then I use a green pad, then a nylon brush. Then wipe with a rag.
When I'm all done it still has patches of wax. Once when I was riding and frustrated at my speed compared to my buddy he looked at my board and "it's your wax job". I saw a bunch of flattened out wax.
Recently a guy said I should use a spatula. I've searched for an attachment for my drill for buffing (like I saw a guy in a shop use).

So....how the heck can I get all my wax off and end up with a smopoth, glassy looking bottom?

Thanks !
I don't worry too much about the long tip to tail scrapes, I do smaller scrapes and work my way down the board. Then look for those stubborn patches and scrape them some more. You should pretty much have no more shavings coming off then hit it with the scotch brite pad. The pad should give you that smooth glassy look and your done. Go ahead and brush but know after about a minute of riding the structure the brush made is gone, so unless your racing and can brush before each run there's little point.

I also agree with WigMar about the sharp scraper. I just got a plastic one and it does dull pretty easy, but I just use my edge file and a few scrapes later it's good as new.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
The white wax makes me want to cry. There's either too much on there or it's not being absorbed into the base. The only reason it's white is because there's enough wax where it's built up and clowdy. You'll see that same thing at the binding inserts if you leave the bindings on while waxing.

Will this slow you down? Not if you're doing a few steep runs at high speed. That'll scrape that excess right off. Some guys I know that do a lot of spring and summer riding don't even scrape the wax, they just iron and go fast and let the snow and rails do the work.

But any white on a black base means you haven't scraped the wax off, or there are divots in the base that are getting missed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys thanks for the replies

The yield on the wax I was getting so minimal it didn't seem like continuing to scrape to get tiny amounts of wax would make a difference in the amount of white. I focused my scraping to the problems areas and re-did them a couple times after initial scrape. I used a file to sharpen my scraper then I used sandpaper. I did that a few times and did notice it helping. If an incredible amount of scraping in each problem area is what it takes to not have any white then I'm just gonna have white. Especially since what I'm hearing from almost everybody is that it is not gonna slow me down.

I love the efficiency of power tools and would buy a rotary buffer but you guys are sayin it doesn't matter plus I read somewhere you can damage your base with it and finally there are a million choices nylon, horse hair, etc. I get overwhelmed and don't buy one. If I someone on here uses a specific one and likes it, I'd probably try it. But it sound s like all its gonna do is quell my OCD desire to have a nice lookin bottom.😂

1 - 20 of 49 Posts