Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some research online and here on the forums and I keep seeing the same names come up. SixSixOne, Forcefield, R.E.D., Hillbilly Dirt Gear, Azzpadz, Demon, etc.

But there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what really works. I've narrowed down 3 pieces of equipment that seem pretty legit. Azzpadz for tailbone protection, SixSixOne core protector, and Forcefield Pro L2. These pieces won't work well together obviously, but I'm interested in hearing the opinions of the people who have owned this gear.

661 core protector looks like it might be a little bulky, but will take some hard hits. I think that's why some people spring for the pressure suit.

The forcefield Pro L2 Back seems to take care of the back and tailbone, but it looks so low profile, I wonder how well it actually works?

The forcefield seems to have the most coverage, but I'm assuming it's not going to be the best at everything. It would be nice to find some all-in-one gear that protects the spine, kidneys, hips, and tail bone.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
They absolutely work!

I own a pair of impact shorts by red and use them when I work on tricks.

Depending on what your trying to learn will dictate what areas need protected, but I highly recommend protection, and on your head first.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
They absolutely work!

I own a pair of impact shorts by red and use them when I work on tricks.

Depending on what your trying to learn will dictate what areas need protected, but I highly recommend protection, and on your head first.
Oh yeah, I always wear a helmet. I don't really understand the rationale for not protecting yourself. Being crippled, vegetative, or dead is not awesome.

Oh btw, to clarify, I mean, "work as advertised". I'm sure they all work to some degree.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Oh ya sorry about that, I was replying from my iPhone and misread the title for you asking if impact gear actually works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the azzpadz for tailbone protection and they absolutely work. Its easy to get them on and off. Not bulky at all and comfy to wear. Ive taken major spills on my bum and not a scratch or bruise. Ive also used the RED total impact shorts and those are a piece of garbage. The crappy padding on the tailbone and everywhere else sucks. Provided no protection at all.. just gave me more bruises than I wanted to. Getting them off is a pain since you have to take everything off and it just feels very bulky compared to the azzpadz. I havent used any other gear besides a helmet. But for tailbone protection azzpadz is the way to go.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use the azzpadz for tailbone protection and they absolutely work. Its easy to get them on and off. Not bulky at all and comfy to wear. Ive taken major spills on my bum and not a scratch or bruise. Ive also used the RED total impact shorts and those are a piece of garbage. The crappy padding on the tailbone and everywhere else sucks. Provided no protection at all.. just gave me more bruises than I wanted to. Getting them off is a pain since you have to take everything off and it just feels very bulky compared to the azzpadz. I havent used any other gear besides a helmet. But for tailbone protection azzpadz is the way to go.
Cool, thanks for the info. I wish azzpadz made something that protected the hips too.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I use the Demon Shield Hardtail pants. Got an actual solid plate to protect the tailbone.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Also, I wonder if this is legit:
SnowboardingTips.com - Your complete online resource for Snowboarding information.

It mentions how most of the pads have spaces in between them. Scroll down for a pic of the gear.
looks like a nice product, no spaces in the pad layout, rather expensive compared to others, the r.e.d. shorts suck, i basically gave mine away ... i saw a nice pair like on the tips site when i was in the shop at okemo, they were $50, i should of scooped them

·
Registered
29 Posts
forgot to mention the azzpadz have a hard plate on the entire tailbone.. not just a thin piece of plastic. It also have a lil bit of padding on the hip.. not enough to cover the entire hip but towards that back end.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks like a nice product, no spaces in the pad layout, rather expensive compared to others, the r.e.d. shorts suck, i basically gave mine away ... i saw a nice pair like on the tips site when i was in the shop at okemo, they were $50, i should of scooped them
Only problem with the nice pair on the tips site is, who knows how good the foam actually is. It'd be nice if there was a set of standards and people got their shit tested :p

·
Registered
565 Posts
If you want protection that actually works, look at products that carry CE ratings - such as motorcycle gear. If it'll save your ass when you crash going 60mph onto the pavement on a motorcycle, it'll definitely save your ass when you bail doing 30mph on a snowboard.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you want protection that actually works, look at products that carry CE ratings - such as motorcycle gear. If it'll save your ass when you crash going 60mph onto the pavement on a motorcycle, it'll definitely save your ass when you bail doing 30mph on a snowboard.
I agree. moto gear is the best crash protection you can get. i like these shorts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I highly recomend sketools:D. No too bulky and they have saved my ass about a hundred times. I couldn't find them in the local ski/skate shops but they ship fast from the website. But if you ride a bike, motorcycle shorts work well too.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hah, never thought of it that way. Good point :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Icetools - Professional Snowboardequipment | Bags - Technical Equipment

^flash site so go to protection

they have some sick protection gear! check it out. I saw the stuff in a store in austria and may I say ... they were fucking awesome. I don't know if they have a USA store, but if you need protection I would def go the extra mile and try to find that shit.

the full body armor is just amazing

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
C

·
0 Posts
i believe in the original crash pads. they dont restrict movement are light weight made in the us and great protection best one is pro pant 2500, and the upper body 6100 great with it. check it out crash-pads.com also has hard tail shield in between 2 pieces of foam. Great products.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts