Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's everyone rockin' for the in-helmet speakers/headphones? I definitely don't trust myself snowboarding with some Airpod Pro's so I was looking at the Outdoor Tech Chips 2.0s. Anyone have any experience with them? I saw some pretty rough reviews on REI.com on them though so I thought I'd ask anyone here for some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Ive had the chips 2.0 for a few seasons now, still works well, battery surprises me with how well it will hold a charge, even in super cold temperatures, could probably get 2-3 days on a charge at 6-8 hours a day. speakers are plenty loud and the mic works well enough to make clear phone calls.
two things I hate about them-
-they use a usb to aux audio charging cable, instead of standard micro/type-c, hate hate hate this, constantly have to keep track of the charging cable because I only have one
-no previous track button, more of an annoyance but hard to believe they couldnt program it into one of the buttons via long/short press
Would buy it again for sure, but hopefully next version they go to a type-c charge port.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive had the chips 2.0 for a few seasons now, still works well, battery surprises me with how well it will hold a charge, even in super cold temperatures, could probably get 2-3 days on a charge at 6-8 hours a day. speakers are plenty loud and the mic works well enough to make clear phone calls.
two things I hate about them-
-they use a usb to aux audio charging cable, instead of standard micro/type-c, hate hate hate this, constantly have to keep track of the charging cable because I only have one
-no previous track button, more of an annoyance but hard to believe they couldnt program it into one of the buttons via long/short press
Would buy it again for sure, but hopefully next version they go to a type-c charge port.

Looks like the 3.0's do have USB-C, unfortunately they're like... $40 more than the 2.0 's haha. I think I found the 2.0's for like 70-80 and those are 130.

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
Ditto the loves and annoyances of the Chips 2.0. I've never had them die on me in 4 years, I generally ride 3x a week and that could be 3 full days at -20C, so the battery is definitely impressive. Skip-back function would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yup, I just bought some 3.0s and they are using a USB-C connector. In addition, they've cleaned up the command structure a little so it makes more sense, and now has a skip-back function.
dammit, maybe i can sell mine and upgrade lol

·
Registered
267 Posts

Looks like the 3.0's do have USB-C, unfortunately they're like... $40 more than the 2.0 's haha. I think I found the 2.0's for like 70-80 and those are 130.

Didn't know these were out.

I'm a big fan of the chips, I'll be checking the 3.0's out for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Wow that is good news. The lack of previous track button drove me crazy.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've had these for 3 seasons and typically last me 3-4 days between charges. I've seen them on sale for as low as $60, mic is also functional enough to take phone calls

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've had these for 3 seasons and typically last me 3-4 days between charges. I've seen them on sale for as low as $60, mic is also functional enough to take phone calls

Lucky at $60, they're like $210 CAD up here, I drove down to the states to pick them up for $90 usd. You're right about the mic, I was super surprised how good the mic is.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Lucky at $60, they're like $210 CAD up here, I drove down to the states to pick them up for $90 usd. You're right about the mic, I was super surprised how good the mic is.
Ye i think that was a summer buy, I"m sure I got some clearance bump (also 3 years ago inflation is a bitch)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

My son has those, they work fine, but I prefer the Chips, just because the buttons are easier to push with mittens on.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
My son has those, they work fine, but I prefer the Chips, just because the buttons are easier to push with mittens on.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
That's interesting, there was a bit of a learning curve to figure out where the button was with mitts. I debated between the outdoor tech and those, but alta had higher consistent reviews. I'll keep that in mind in the future though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, maybe I will be going with the Chips then. Seems like the goto here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Love me some chips. I usually put one in and my husband puts in the other. When we are far enough away from each other, his cuts out, but when we get back to the lift line they connect again. It's kinda a sweet system, helps us keep track of each other while we're boarding. An added bonus when you're flying down the hill.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Love me some chips. I usually put one in and my husband puts in the other. When we are far enough away from each other, his cuts out, but when we get back to the lift line they connect again. It's kinda a sweet system, helps us keep track of each other while we're boarding. An added bonus when you're flying down the hill.
Just ordered the Chips 3.0's. Honey found a coupon for 25% off, so I got them for $103 shipped instead the $133!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts