Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having a predisposition towards conspiracy whackery; I’ve been watching “zeitgeist the movie” (2007). It puts into context much of the current political, economic, corporate and societal/cultural things that are happening. Imo it’s a must watch and very provocative in understanding our current situation.

The Zeitgeist Film Series Gateway | Zeitgeist: The Movie, Zeitgeist: Addendum, Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Despite our foolery, shenanigans and shitshows; there are many intelligent and well-informed termites here and I would enjoy continued education by others’ views and sources of information. Anyway, we are in for some interesting times; but I also believe that open dialogue and sharing will reveal an emerging group intelligence that will help to navigate through this :storm:.

wrath :popcorn2:

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,132 Posts
There's actually a "The Political Wilderness" forum at "snowboarding forum.com"?
Seriously?

I'm going to have to check out some online political forums to find their snowboarding forums.

WTF?

·
Scorching the Slopes
2,132 Posts
uhmm this is V.2...the first one went down in flames...now we are playing nicer.
:laugh2:
Fair enough.
I just don't get why people would come to a snowboard forum to discuss politics (or anything other than snowboarding), but I'll go with the flow.

So, do I have to listen to American "celebrities" whine about Trump as president for the next four years (or more)?
Every time there is a Republican president, the Hollywood democrat-leaners make bashing him part of their "entertainment".

I'm not American, so I don't have a say in their politics, but I can't stand sore losers. Especially for four or more years.:frown:

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
vacuum tube travel: fuck yea!

I saw the zeitgeist movie several years ago and it blew my mind.

After thinking about it and doing some research, my view on it changed quite a bit over the years compared to my initial reaction.

One of the biggest problems I have with it is that it does pretty irresponsible journalism throughout, which undermines any credibility it may offer on very true events.

IMO the takeaway from watching this movie is just awareness of how info is manipulated for us, including the film itself.

(fwiw I want to believe, and I like where it goes and what it tries to say, but I'm educated, not about to be duped by ignorant shit, of which there is plenty splattered throughout)

there is tons of food for thought though, and it has been useful in forming my worldview . . . its just important to not get so caught up in the narrative that you can't see the gaping holes in it (both in this media, and the mainstream)

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Its so funny being back in San Francisco. So much liberal bullshit is spewed around here, they take whatever the news caster says as THE TRUTH and there isnt a single sway. If it is a lie, there is no retraction, they just dont report on it anymore. The general population here just keeps believing...

if you want to know why people react the way they do just live in one of these ultra liberal areas for a little while. Their written media is even worse.

I have not seen the whole thing that you posted but I have seen a few pieces of it. I am not a conspiracy theorist but I was telling my wofe the other day how strangely close to conspiracy theories that some of the shit in todays world gets.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
On election night, was with the Mrs and a bunch of her educated liberal higher SEC friends, whom were all for Hillary...anyway a HUGH bottle of spendy bourbon came out and was solemnly finished. I'm sitting there, barely able to contain myself...wanting to say something but dare not.

I've tried to say that the DNC screwed up about Bernie...but they see it as an old white guys club issue and can not see or acknowledge treachery and economic issues...even though most of them have some personal or social services connection. They generally believe that Hillary would have helped to remedy the increasing marginalization of the increasing SEC gap.

Imo some of the problem is that the general population (due to mainstream education and media) is unable/unwilling to see connections/correlations due to their compartmental mindset/perspective. They didn't understand that Trump won by keying into the emotions angst of the marginalized population...they don't recognize that the shear numbers of marginalized folks out weigh the professional and educated middle class numbers...they cant acknowledge that it wasn't a race/gender/or political issue...it was a SEC marginalized emotive thing. Much of current education is oriented to professions/vocations and the classic liberal arts generalized education is no longer affordable for most folks.

Back in the day, I took whatever class that looked interesting...in fact I would pull 15-20 ibm punch cards for different classes irregardless of prerequisites or grade level, attend the first 1-2 classes, decided which ones interested me and drop the others...I did this for 8.5 years (twas on the 10 year plan for my undergraduate degree...lol)...but my 1st son was on the way and born right at mid-terms my last semester...so I couldn't complete my 10 year plan.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Back in the day, I took whatever class that looked interesting...in fact I would pull 15-20 ibm punch cards for different classes irregardless of prerequisites or grade level, attend the first 1-2 classes, decided which ones interested me and drop the others...
now it's the opposite. people will apply to 15-20 classes and hope they get into 4. sitting in the first 1-2 classes on the floor hoping someone would drop.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
college is a scam anyway
These days they chew you up(in a polite way after they remove the dentures of course) and spit you out (in the most non offensive way possible) as a liberal shill. Then you have to either learn through the school of life how real world works or move to one of the liberal meccas (safe spaces) so you have people to sit around and judge everyone else that doesnt agree with your narrowed thought process as a stupid, racist, misogynistic, sexist, xenophobe.... :blahblah:

There is a group of people where im at now that arent full lib. Today a few of the rest were talking smack as usual about how dumb people that didnt vote for Hillary were, that they wouldn't admit to who they voted for either. I of course had to chime in and let them know that its not that we dont want to admit anything, we just dont care to hear Hillary voters whine about it so we stay quiet and exit asap.... the election is over and there is no reason to sit around and try to convince anyone when they dont want to listen anyhow.... they all were quieted down quickly and had a look of wonder....

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Imo some of the problem is that the general population (due to mainstream education and media) is unable/unwilling to see connections/correlations due to their compartmental mindset/perspective. They didn't understand that Trump won by keying into the emotions angst of the marginalized population...they don't recognize that the shear numbers of marginalized folks out weigh the professional and educated middle class numbers...they cant acknowledge that it wasn't a race/gender/or political issue...it was a SEC marginalized emotive thing.
I disagree, and the numbers don't really show it. Trump lost as many voters as he gained, staying at ~59M votes just like the previous 2 republicans got.

What the Dems failed to realize is that they had a candidate that would not bring out the urban voter like Obama did. To the tune of around 15M voters who from 2008 who didn't even bother to show up. And BTW these are the least educated voters in the country. But the Dems will never admit this. I'll take just about any rural school system over inner city Detroits.

Obama at least represented some sort of hope for them. Hillary offered none. She spent the vast majority of her time on her strength and Trumps weakness, foreign affairs. Something your average urban voter could not care less about when they see their cities in ruins. How much does your typical black urban voter identify with the white rich grandma? They don't, so they stayed out of this one.

What did Trump have? This time around Repubs held firm to the party line as they often do as they typically vote ideology rather than being passionate about a particular candidate. Namely Row v Wade and 2nd amendment. They Trumped Trump. Now I agree he impassioned some voters, but he drove as many away. Let's be honest though, anyone who shows up to any sort of political rally is probably a vote the party line person anyway. Most people have better things to do.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
@foobar...irregardless of numbers voting (btw, I'm always fuzzy on numbers)...I think we agree on the underlying premise ...that Hillary had nothing to offer the marginalized voter...so why bother to vote on 2 candidates that neither have any hope to offer for the urban dis-enfranchised...idk...maybe why there is rioting/protesting :wink:.

As for education...what a trainwreck...

Mrs W is a public middle school teacher voted H...and for kids the nut doesn't fall far from the tree...really depends on the parental ability and involvement; and public schools basically have to teach sadly to the lowest denominator...a fancy way of putting it is, the "common core" curriculum.

Eldest has an engineer/it phd...a narrow minded liberal in a starbucks induced pnw coma that Argo notes...voted H. He went to a well funded public ed school, was dignosed with delexia in 5th grade and given special services to learn how to read.

The middle went the skilled blue collar route...but global maritime shipping has tanked so...he is trying to figure out what to transition to. Anyway he is a really bright self-taught, well read critical anarchist type...that can't tolerate blue collar or educated liberal delusions....and abstained from voting. Btw we sent him to catholic school and then went to small rural though very very well educated (university town) public school district (when I was in graduate school).

And the youngest is a pragmatist bulldog did the public school thing...except for the last 2 years in HS...but mainly did the snowy life learning thing. Now works as operations manager for a small custom retailer and working on nursing school that will probably focus on ER and wilderness emergency stuff; she wanted Bernie but voted Trump cause she couldn't stand and did not want the Hillery status quo.

And moi, I voted to stir the pot...cause shit was gett'n burnt on the bottom. But I anticipate/hope that historically we will look back to this time as a time of big challenges, big change and big opportunities at all levels. Though primarily most interested in things like the community "transition movement."

The Transition Town Movement | Transition US

Anyway...wished all kids were home for the holidays...so we could have and old school family politico uproar and fisty-cuffs...it would be fun.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Tomorrow should be fun! I'll be forced to either listen to my brother's inlaws talk about UConn womens basketball or go off on political rants all day. It'll most likely be a double dose of poison and sadly my mom isn't around anymore to stir the pot like she used to like to do.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tomorrow should be fun! I'll be forced to either listen to my brother's inlaws talk about UConn womens basketball or go off on political rants all day. It'll most likely be a double dose of poison and sadly my mom isn't around anymore to stir the pot like she used to like to do.
Foobar...sounds like your mom is telling you to grab that spoon. >:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts