Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be spending a couple days at Beaver Mountain, and always hit Lost Trail a few times when they get buried, so seems to make sense to just buy an Indy Pass. Anybody have thoughts/recommendations on any of the other places on the list? I won't be doing any of the Midwest or East coast ones, and will be in my camper so don't care about lodging.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
White Pass is the only one on the list i hit regularly. there's no one there during the week. both peaks have wide open runs. check out the map and you'll see what i mean.

as for others, only word of mouth:
Hoodoo, i have a coworker who does a couple day trip there a year but it looks pretty small.
Red Lodge, my BIL learned to ski there, looks pretty good. lots of black. Montana snow is supposedly aces.
Mission Ridge also looks pretty good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
shit dude. had i been paying attention i woulda grabbed one of these for $99. that's a crazy deal considering White Pass singles are like $70

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
White Pass is the only one on the list i hit regularly. there's no one there during the week. both peaks have wide open runs. check out the map and you'll see what i mean.

as for others, only word of mouth:
Hoodoo, i have a coworker who does a couple day trip there a year but it looks pretty small.
Red Lodge, my BIL learned to ski there, looks pretty good. lots of black. Montana snow is supposedly aces.
Mission Ridge also looks pretty good.
Red Lodge is one of the ones I've ridden (I'm from MT). It's fun when they have snow, but definitely nothing special. I missed the $99 deal, was that early?

·
Registered
223 Posts
$99 would have been great for me, still wondering if I should get one. Had 5 days at Mission last season and combined 6 at White Pass and Mission the previous season.

Both are smaller "local" hills with less crowds than those closer to Seattle. They both also tend to get drier snow than the others. White Pass is fun when they get good snow. Mission Ridge is my favorite resort in Washington, they have an old high speed quad that works most of the time and long blue runs coming off of it. They get less snow so they make their own, I usually wait though until they have enough natural snow to open up the Bomber Bowl, otherwise it's more limited and crowded.

Only been to 49 Degrees North once and it was fine but all the lifts are slow fixed chair and it's only a little farther drive to Schweitzer from Seattle and that is one of the best resorts in the region IMO.

Hurricane Ridge is a very small local hill with only rope tows and a Poma lift. I've never ridden there but want to try it at least once. The runs are very short and the steeper terrain is ride at your own risk.

Brundage is another great place to ride. They get lots of good powder, it's not crowded and they have a high speed quad. Most of the terrain is blue but the runs are fairly long and McCall is a cool town to spend a few days.

I really need to think about this, a trip to the BC interior at Apex sounds like a good deal. We usually do two 5-6 day trips every year with Bachelor being our favorite destination but we've hit Brundage, Schweitzer, Revelstoke, Utah and Whistler for these. Two days at Mission, two at White Pass and they've paid for themselves.

Regardless, need to keep this on the radar if not for this year then in the future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Makes sense.

as for White Pass, I got to know one of the instructors pretty well last season and he said they are fighting to keep the corporations away from the owners because they have been trying to buy the resort I guess.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$99 would have been great for me, still wondering if I should get one. Had 5 days at Mission last season and combined 6 at White Pass and Mission the previous season.

Both are smaller "local" hills with less crowds than those closer to Seattle. They both also tend to get drier snow than the others. White Pass is fun when they get good snow. Mission Ridge is my favorite resort in Washington, they have an old high speed quad that works most of the time and long blue runs coming off of it. They get less snow so they make their own, I usually wait though until they have enough natural snow to open up the Bomber Bowl, otherwise it's more limited and crowded.

Only been to 49 Degrees North once and it was fine but all the lifts are slow fixed chair and it's only a little farther drive to Schweitzer from Seattle and that is one of the best resorts in the region IMO.

Hurricane Ridge is a very small local hill with only rope tows and a Poma lift. I've never ridden there but want to try it at least once. The runs are very short and the steeper terrain is ride at your own risk.

Brundage is another great place to ride. They get lots of good powder, it's not crowded and they have a high speed quad. Most of the terrain is blue but the runs are fairly long and McCall is a cool town to spend a few days.

I really need to think about this, a trip to the BC interior at Apex sounds like a good deal. We usually do two 5-6 day trips every year with Bachelor being our favorite destination but we've hit Brundage, Schweitzer, Revelstoke, Utah and Whistler for these. Two days at Mission, two at White Pass and they've paid for themselves.

Regardless, need to keep this on the radar if not for this year then in the future.
Not sure where Lost Trail is in relation to those places, but they get more snow than anywhere in Montana, definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not sure where Lost Trail is in relation to those places, but they get more snow than anywhere in Montana, definitely worth checking out.

I was looking at distances relative to each other and from Seattle where we live and it's 9+ & 12+ hours to the two MT resorts listed which is a bit too much for us for just a couple of days, they are even pushing 6 hours between them. I'd really like to get out to Montana to ride some day but a week minimum would be needed to make it worthwhile. If we buy the passes we'll certainly look at linking a couple of the resorts in a trip.

If you were traveling out west you could probably work out a loop and hit 3-6 resorts in a week+. A Brundage, Silver Mountain, Apex loop with possibly 49 Degrees North thrown in wouldn't be too bad. Looping in Lost Trail would be more driving but is intriguing.

I'd also like to hit Castle Mountain in Alberta but that is a long drive too. It's also a long way from the Apex the only other resort on offer in western Canada but Whitewater is halfway in between and is someplace I've been wanting to try.

You could have some fun putting a trip together with this pass. The downside for us is not having a very flexible schedule plus some of the resorts have limited lodging nearby so we'd have to schedule well in advance and hope for good conditions.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was looking at distances relative to each other and from Seattle where we live and it's 9+ & 12+ hours to the two MT resorts listed which is a bit too much for us for just a couple of days, they are even pushing 6 hours between them. I'd really like to get out to Montana to ride some day but a week minimum would be needed to make it worthwhile. If we buy the passes we'll certainly look at linking a couple of the resorts in a trip.

If you were traveling out west you could probably work out a loop and hit 3-6 resorts in a week+. A Brundage, Silver Mountain, Apex loop with possibly 49 Degrees North thrown in wouldn't be too bad. Looping in Lost Trail would be more driving but is intriguing.

I'd also like to hit Castle Mountain in Alberta but that is a long drive too. It's also a long way from the Apex the only other resort on offer in western Canada but Whitewater is halfway in between and is someplace I've been wanting to try.

You could have some fun putting a trip together with this pass. The downside for us is not having a very flexible schedule plus some of the resorts have limited lodging nearby so we'd have to schedule well in advance and hope for good conditions.
Yeah, I'm planning a 2 week loop through Utah for sure, and probably Colorado on my way to Baker. Will adjust accordingly depending on snow. Since I'll have my camper, only certainty is Baker at the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts