Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought the workout DVD. I want to be in shape for the start of next season. Anyone ever done this for the entire 60 days

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Just bought the workout DVD. I want to be in shape for the start of next season. Anyone ever done this for the entire 60 days
I have only went through about two weeks once, and immediately saw a result. I was getting married so my wife and I did it for that.

Prepare to get your ass kicked. I was already going to the gym, but I'm heavy on weights, light on cardio.

It's essentially High Intensity Interval Training in video form. But it keeps it fresh and not boring. I had aches in body parts and muscles I didn't even know existed.

Funny enough, we just started it up last week. WE made a mistake by not getting into a little shape first and jumped right into it. Felt like throwing up after the first fitness test. IT was that bad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I plan to use it to get into shape for next season too:thumbsup: I have done it for a week here and there and it seems like it would be a good match for training for riding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Been doing it for rugby training. I didn't know lying face-down in the snow could feel so good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I used insanity during the off season last year. Although I didn't do every single day/workout I still managed to lose more than 10 lbs. i also didnt follow their diet plan so it could have been more. insanity has great core and lower body exercises. when I started snowboarding again, I noticed I had so much more energy than before. I used to get tired just standing up from heel edge but now can get up with no problem. I also feel as if I have better control of the board because you will work out muscles you rarely use.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I started doing the original Power 90 program last fall and was doing well until I tweaked my knee pretty bad. Going to get back on that program or maybe one of their newer ones this spring/summer for sure.

My friend Brad has done several of their programs from P90, P90X, Insanity and Body Beast (he actually put on about 20 lbs of muscle on that last one...) so I've definitely seen some amazing results from these.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you want max progress, be sure to ease into it. Completely, kicking your ass completely at first isn't the way to go, especially as you get older. Your recovery time takes longer, and being able to stick with the program becomes more difficult. Chunk by chunk, steady progress.

I've done a lot of Rmax (Scott Sonnon's stuff) workouts, and that is one of the things stressed on there. As I enter my late 30s, I found the importance of this magnified.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome:) I've finished p90x but wanted something that had no other objects to get back in shape.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Insanity has a high injury rate. A lot of jumping around and quick movements don't go well with muscle fatigue. Be careful.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Insanity has a high injury rate. A lot of jumping around and quick movements don't go well with muscle fatigue. Be careful.
Makes sense. People I know who have done it all basically worked their way up to it through some of the other programs. Even for someone in (moderately) good shape, I think trying to step right in to Insanity would be a bad idea.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I actually know Shaun T personally. Have since college. The workout is REAL! It will put you in great shape but don't over do it if you aren't already in some reasonable shape. Like you aren't going from full couch potatoe to hardcore workout without runnign risk of hurting yourself.
He has another one called "Asylum" which is more sports training/fitness orientated. Might be also worth looking into for those who want to get inshape for athletic purposes and not just general fitness

·
Registered
233 Posts
Started in October and finished the full 60 days at the end of December. Two days after I finished, went to Killington and was bombing hard from 8-4 for three straight days and believe it or not... I was neither that sore nor tired. I felt I was beyond mid-season form at the very beginning of my year. It was unreal. Some of the people I was with thought I was taking speed on the side and they were in their mid-twenties... I am 31.

It's intense. I was doing cycling classes 2-3 times a week and going to the gym a total of 4-5 days a week for various workouts so I was in decent shape before I started, but it still totally kicked my ass. Do as much as you can and try to stick with it. In the beginning, I was taking plenty of rests, but by the end of the first month, I was completing the whole workout through and through with barely, if any rests at all... then came the second month. It's WAAAY harder than the first. I could barely finish the warmup, particularly due to this one exercise where you're in a somewhat push-up position and you have to kick your legs up in the air as far as you can.

Watch out for the plyometrics. Some exercises you can get away with being a little tired and not having the best form, but with any power jumping (or any variation thereof), take a rest of you feel tired. My wife injured her knee a bit not resting during power jumps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
great workout, no equipment needed. I used it at this time last year to get in shape for soccer after going to Australia and coming back in not-so-great shape.

I lost 20 lbs in 8 weeks and felt great. Word to the wise, take care of your joints, be smart about what your capabilities are, and stretch properly.

If you aren't in reasonable shape when you start, I wouldn't recommend jumping right into it, as others have said.

It will help your snowboarding as well for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I actually know Shaun T personally. Have since college. The workout is REAL! It will put you in great shape but don't over do it if you aren't already in some reasonable shape. Like you aren't going from full couch potatoe to hardcore workout without runnign risk of hurting yourself.
He has another one called "Asylum" which is more sports training/fitness orientated. Might be also worth looking into for those who want to get inshape for athletic purposes and not just general fitness
He's got a new program coming out this summer, T25 or something like that. Supposedly all the workouts are 25 minutes or less. I would definitely be down with that. Time is at a premium with a 1-yr old daughter at home :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
So for those who are in reasonable shape, a) want to lean out just a bit without wearing out knees/ankles/hips, and b) want to preserve this past season's fitness through Summer and Fall, what do you all recommend? P90X? Insanity toned down some? Other?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts