Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got to demo a whole bunch of different types of boards and discovered I really liked the feel of a mid/stiff rocker-camber-rocker board. I'd like some help building up a shortlist of boards to try out!

What I'm looking for is something to cruise on all day long and to improve carving. I'd like something that isn't going to have any trouble between pistes and that wont kick my ass towards the end of the day.

Yes - Pick your line
Jones - Mountain Twin

I tried the Slash - ATV. Lots of fun, but I think it would kill me if I wasn't giving it 100% attention. Felt great though!

Also got to demo the hovercraft and flagship. Both so damp it made it feel like I was going in slow motion while belting it which is great. I think the flagship is too aggressive like the ATV maybe. The hovercraft was a bit of a shock how much fun it was just turning on a piste. Bit weird to ride a pow stick for a groomer board though!

Anything else I should add to my (very) shortlist?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I would add Capita Defenders of Awesome to that list, although it is a true twin and the boards you have up there are directional. The DBX (157) and Totally Fk'n Awesome are more directional with similar camber profiles and a bit stiffer flex.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool, sounds like they'd be worth demoing. My wife liked the capita board she tried.

Just spotted the Lib Tech - Mark Landvik Pheonix which could work too. Only ever had boards with sintered bases though so not sure! EDIT: Scrap that, sintered base and rocker between the feet.;

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cool, thanks for that. I've already got a NS Proto and Lib Tech Skate banana so my next stick will be a bit more 'big mountain' and I'll likely sell/give away the skate banana.

The jones flagship is down as an intermediate board on Evo, I may have another go with that to to get a side by side comparison.

Jones - Flagship
Yes - Pick your line
Jones - Mountain Twin
Capita - DOA/DBX
Salamon - Assassin

·
The Swiss Miss
7,437 Posts
Can't comment on the other boards, only know the Flagship. Was riding it the entire last season, all day in all conditions. It's a great board for pow and charging good groomers, the faster you go, the more fun. But if you have soft groomer snow that will be bumpy in the afternoon, it's a rather harsh ride. It's just not thought to ride moguls and crud... possible, but very exhausting (you need to stay deep down in your knees all the time to absorb uneven terrain). So not really a all-day cruising board. The board is thought to ride fast, that's where it shines.

Can't comment on the evo-intermediate rating since I only know the '13 Flagship. Maybe the '14 has changed a lot, but I'd be surprised. I wouldn't give my one to an intermediate friend :dunno:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Neni, that really helps. I did get to ride one and it was great, but I'll not always be going mach 10 and I'll be going through afternoon chopped up piste so maybe the flagship aint the best bet :)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Demo a gnu rider's choice or step up to a billy goat which might kick you ass for a wee bit...but it will force you to be a better rider...and once you are there (I.e., aggressive mindset) it is actually quite a forgiving and fun deck...seems weird but true.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Billy Goat sounds good, the riders choice may be a bit similar to the Proto though?

Also reckon the NS raptor could fit the bill too if I'm going to try out some stiffer CRC rides. Reckon that's a fair few to test ride :)

·
The Swiss Miss
7,437 Posts
The Raptor is very nice to carve. Don't be surprised by the acceleration it develops in the middle of a carve :) It's also fun to charge, pretty fast and chatter free (if one gets used to the rocker) and best thing: very smoothe in crud and it allows to just cruise and relax. I've ridden a 164 all day long and had less tired legs than with my "small" Flagship. Nice all day all mountain board; absolutely worth a try.
Good luck! :yahoo:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Having played around on a '12 164W Mountain Twin sporadically over the last two seasons, I can tell you that it won't improve your carving or mechanics.

It's a soft board, easy to rotate/butter, has middle-of-the-road pop, and is typically stable because of the width, but it isn't particularly fast nor is it capable of working through most variable snow conditions seen in bounds during the course of a normal day. I'd say it's a solid board for an intermediate rider looking to get into spins / butters more than it is for someone going after it on the groomers. I only put it on when I'm teaching newer riders who are dialing in fundamentals.

It holds an edge fairly well in soft snow, but if it gets really firm out there you'll be wishing for something more grippy, especially at speed.

If you want to learn ground tricks or spins, it's a pretty a pretty nice compliment to a motivated personality that cruises and experiments...If you have no desire to do that, you'll probably want to test out some of the other decks mentioned in this thread for their carving ability.

I've never walked away thinking the board asked me for more than I could deliver. You can make it work all over the place, but I personally think there are more well-rounded boards in that price range that require less focus and rider awareness.

Keep in mind my '12 model is more twin-like than the directional 'improvements' that have found their way into the new models, so maybe the new ones can charge a little harder on firmer snow. I'm only going on what I know firsthand.

Good luck.

·
Registered
451 Posts
have you tried TBT? not necessarily R/C/R, but might have some of the same characteristics for you. bataleon the jam comes to mind... maybe demo one if you haven't tried it yet

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
've ridden a 164 all day long and had less tired legs than with my "small" Flagship.
125lbs and you've ridden a 164 raptor all day? Yowzers :D Sounds like the Raptor definitely needs to be on my shortlist!

Shame about the mountain twin really. I find the Proto fine for butters and general playing around so maybe that'll be too similar to what I've got already.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
have you tried TBT? not necessarily R/C/R, but might have some of the same characteristics for you. bataleon the jam comes to mind... maybe demo one if you haven't tried it yet
I tried the ET, I didn't mind the TBT and it felt like you could get away with murder on it! My only concern is forgetting how to snowboard and not being able to ride a regular snowboard again xD.

Latest pow/carve shortlist:
NS - Raptor (probably the most sensible for an intermediate)
Rossignol XV Magtek
YES. Pick Your Line

1 - 15 of 15 Posts