Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm 5'8", 135 lbs and have been riding my first and current rocker board 152 GNU Carbon High Beam (replaced by Carbon Credit) for about 4 years. At the end of last season I upgraded by bindings to the winged Malavitas in an effort to learn pressing and apply more pressure into my carves. FYI I live in Chicago so there aren't too many hills in the vicinity, but I do occasionally fly out west.

1. The biggest "issue" with the board is that it being a midflex, and me being relatively light, it does not flex much and I have been attempting to learn pressing on flat groomers. I have not had enough time to see how the Malavitas will help in that yet, but I have contemplated potentially buying a used Skate Banana, or something similar with a softer flex. Keep in mind I will mostly be riding in the midwest. Any suggestions?

2. I want to also invest in a second board that I would dedicate for my trips out west. I'm leaning towards something stiffer, that will not chatter under higher speeds (the GNU does this), but still something maneuverable, keeping in mind my light weight. Pretty much an all mountain freestyle board. I'm a really big fan of carving, and I mean proper edge to edge carving, which magnetraction greatly helps with. Guess I want something stiff enough so it won't chatter, but now overly stiff like a proper carving board. Currently considering a 154 C2 Lib Tech TRS. Has anybody had issues with chatter? Is it stiffer than the GNU Carbon? I've also looked at the T.Rice. Would it be too stiff, given my weight? Also would the slightly wider waist be an issue for my size 9 boot? I would prefer to stick with a centered stance (I ride centered symmetrical duck) and I am leaning towards C2 because it seems like a logical step from the regular rocker, but would also consider a set-back C3 if anyone is willing to argue for it (I have only ridden the regular Banana, so how big of an adjustment would a C3 be?) Also would probably want to stay in the camber/rocker/camber camp but if anyone can make a case for rocker/camber/rocker please do (I realize that there is more control with camber in the center). I am probably biased towards Mervin but willing to consider all options.

If you have had the patience to finish my "essay" a great thanks to you. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks guys!

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm 5'8", 135 lbs and have been riding my first and current rocker board 152 GNU Carbon High Beam (replaced by Carbon Credit) for about 4 years. At the end of last season I upgraded by bindings to the winged Malavitas in an effort to learn pressing and apply more pressure into my carves. FYI I live in Chicago so there aren't too many hills in the vicinity, but I do occasionally fly out west.

1. The biggest "issue" with the board is that it being a midflex, and me being relatively light, it does not flex much and I have been attempting to learn pressing on flat groomers. I have not had enough time to see how the Malavitas will help in that yet, but I have contemplated potentially buying a used Skate Banana, or something similar with a softer flex. Keep in mind I will mostly be riding in the midwest. Any suggestions?

2. I want to also invest in a second board that I would dedicate for my trips out west. I'm leaning towards something stiffer, that will not chatter under higher speeds (the GNU does this), but still something maneuverable, keeping in mind my light weight. Pretty much an all mountain freestyle board. I'm a really big fan of carving, and I mean proper edge to edge carving, which magnetraction greatly helps with. Guess I want something stiff enough so it won't chatter, but now overly stiff like a proper carving board. Currently considering a 154 C2 Lib Tech TRS. Has anybody had issues with chatter? Is it stiffer than the GNU Carbon? I've also looked at the T.Rice. Would it be too stiff, given my weight? Also would the slightly wider waist be an issue for my size 9 boot? I would prefer to stick with a centered stance (I ride centered symmetrical duck) and I am leaning towards C2 because it seems like a logical step from the regular rocker, but would also consider a set-back C3 if anyone is willing to argue for it (I have only ridden the regular Banana, so how big of an adjustment would a C3 be?) Also would probably want to stay in the camber/rocker/camber camp but if anyone can make a case for rocker/camber/rocker please do (I realize that there is more control with camber in the center). I am probably biased towards Mervin but willing to consider all options.

If you have had the patience to finish my "essay" a great thanks to you. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks guys!
Answer to 1. is simple: Take lessons and/or improve your technique. It is not an equipment issue, but a skill problem.

Answer to 2. is not as straightforward. How old are you and are you still growing (your height and weight suggest so - unless you are a girl)? How many trips 'out west' are you planning to make?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Hk is right. It's your technic. For presses I suggest you practice at home and build confidence and balance by holding a press in both directions and popping into the press. Don't just rock back and forth. Know the sweet spot and get very familiar with how it feels.

I can press my SL just as good as my Skate Banana. It's technic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts