Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

3581 - 3599 of 3599 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What up everyone! 2nd season 40 yr old Beginner from CT thats finally graduated from crashing every run. Mostly stick to smaller local spots and am hoping to venture out to VT next year once I get more hours under the board and save up my pennys too! Have tons to learn but thanks to advice from this forum I’ve been progressing a heck of a lot better And can finally keep up with my kids now lol. Thank you all and Cheers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello, 27yo new snowboarder here. Tried snowboarding with rental stuff ~15years ago, kept felling and flying, got sore places and I quit the first time trying. This winter I forced myself to snowboard. Bought my own gear, so not to waste money, I have to learn. It's been working so far and slowly getting the hang of it
Exact same for me! I am a cheap ass, so to keep myself from quitting like I did the first time (went back to skis) I bought gear and forced myself to learn...rest is history!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, 2nd season boarding (at 40 lol) mainly in Las Vegas however being a Brit will end up returning to the UK next year :( so will have to venture into Europe for proper snow lol. Skills are coming along slowly but hoping to improve a bit with a trip up to Utah at the ending of the month :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hi all, 2nd season boarding (at 40 lol) mainly in Las Vegas however being a Brit will end up returning to the UK next year :( so will have to venture into Europe for proper snow lol. Skills are coming along slowly but hoping to improve a bit with a trip up to Utah at the ending of the month :)
Think yourself lucky you're not back in blighty this year. Looking like I'm actually going to miss out this season. First time in 16 years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will start this thread.

I am 24 years old, live in Toronto Canada.

I grew up in Regina, Saskatchewan (where there is a ton of snow) so naturally i have gone both skiing and snowboarding.

I'm still a beginner snowboarder, but hope to learn lots at Snowboarding Forum :D
I am 49 years old from the cornfields of Illinois. I started snowboarding at Granite Peak on ice about 20 years ago when I was 30. Just got back from Powder Mountain and went down more expert training than ever before a lot of double black diamonds. For me this was particularly impressive because they haven’t had much snow. Glad I learn to board before skiing because I’m sure I would’ve given up. I learn to ski in about half a day and it was OK. Never got to Black diamond level. My favorite thing in life to do is snowboard. At least one trip out west a year is a requirement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a beginner snowboarder. I am originally from Los Angeles, California; but moved up north to Portland, Oregon last june. I love it here! Unfortunately all my snowboarding gear is in a storage unit back in los angeles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Beginner here; 52 years old, former skier. Live in Vermont. Bought a $300 boots-board-binding package deal and started messing around on local pastures and hills just for something to do to make pandemic restrictions more fun/interesting. When I found that I enjoyed and wanted to stick with it, I got better boots, then eventually a decent board and bindings.

My biggest struggles are the T-bar and dismounting the chairlift, so I've been mostly hiking up a local "sidecountry" area on snowshoes and boarding down. It's a beautiful area with great snow and I like the workout, but eventually I need to get over my lift-riding anxiety/incompetence.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,890 Posts
My biggest struggles are the T-bar and dismounting the chairlift, so I've been mostly hiking up a local "sidecountry" area on snowshoes and boarding down. It's a beautiful area with great snow and I like the workout, but eventually I need to get over my lift-riding anxiety/incompetence.
Since you're making the effort to hike hills, take the time to practice one-footed down a short incline. It's the control of the board (or lack of it) with one foot unstrapped that makes chair-lifts a problem. But it's just practice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since you're making the effort to hike hills, take the time to practice one-footed down a short incline. It's the control of the board (or lack of it) with one foot unstrapped that makes chair-lifts a problem. But it's just practice.
You're absolutely right about one-footed riding. I practice it a lot and can comfortably ski down green trails one-footed making toe and heel turns using my front foot. The really embarrassing problem I have getting of the lift is just the standing up part! :oops: I think it's a combination of bad timing and having my weight on the back foot and/or leaning backwards when I try to stand.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
You're absolutely right about one-footed riding. I practice it a lot and can comfortably ski down green trails one-footed making toe and heel turns using my front foot. The really embarrassing problem I have getting of the lift is just the standing up part! :oops: I think it's a combination of bad timing and having my weight on the back foot and/or leaning backwards when I try to stand.
Perch your butt on the edge of the chair when it's a couple of metres out turned around almost side on, have your board ready so you can just stand on the front foot ASAP. Then let the lift push you forward until you can ride away from the chair.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
When getting off of the chair, you can reach your front hand out way over the nose to keep your weight forward. It feels pretty effective to me.

I like to dismount lifts immediately as well. As soon as there's ground under my feet, I'm standing.

Once you've got that dialed, I love to shoot myself off of the lift faster by pushing off the chair right away. The chair slows down as it goes around the wheel. The trick is to push off the moment before it slows down. I'm usually well away from the other people on the lift by the time they get off, which feels much safer to me. I don't even have to care about which way they are planning on going, because I'm outta there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am originally from NY rode (VT, NH,ME) and have recently moved to the Bay area. Have been riding for almost 20 years, love hiking around resorts. Looking to move into the backcountry here in CA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone - I'm from Toronto. I skied as a kid (8 to 21) then switched over to boarding in university and bought my first board in 2005 (a 2004 Never Summer Premiere with Flux Titan bindings). Anyway, I'm in my late 30's now and have 2 small kids. I definitely don't board as much as I want (maybe 2-3 times a year in Ontario) with one bigger trip every couple of years (was in Whistler late Feb 2020, before COVID). Looking to get some new gear - and obviously there's been a lot to digest on this forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning. I recently got back into snowboarding these last two seasons due to my children also being interested and have been enjoying it! I've got the itch to try to locate my first snowboard which was sold many years ago, locally. The recipient gave it away (recently contacted him) but did not offer any further info on its whereabouts. It was a 2001 / 2002 Rossignol Premier 154. If anyone happens to have one lying around get in touch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello! I’m dalton and I’ve been snowboarding about 3 months now, just made my first YouTube video thought I’d find somewhere to share and get tips on my riding! Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all. I'm an avid biker and skier who got into boarding back in the early '90s. Life got in the way of snow sports for about 30 years, but I moved to the Rockies during late 2020 to address that issue. It was relatively easy to get back into skiing, and I'm already tearing up the moguls on black runs at Taos, but I can tell it's going to take more effort to get my boarding skills back to where I want to be.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, this is Korer, 29 yo.

I have been riding more than 10 years. Dislocated shoulder 8 years ago and restarted since last year. also kitesurfing and currently living in NL.

After restart mostly freeriding and trying to chase pow. Planning to do 2 trips to the Alps per year.

3581 - 3599 of 3599 Posts